Opinion of George W. Bush's foreign policy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of George W. Bush's foreign policy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom policy

Horrible policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Opinion of George W. Bush's foreign policy  (Read 624 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2024, 02:41:35 PM »

Since we're at this, I wonder how bad Dubya will do here.

Obviously, massive HP. The foreign policy of his administration was a complete disaster and a failure pretty much across the board. Especially the war in Iraq. Still kind of odd he ran in 2000 in opposition to "nation building" and foreign entanglements.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 03:19:57 PM »

George W Bush will go down as one of the most catastrophic American figures in human history. More than Trump, easily.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 03:27:10 PM »

The worst. He destabilized the world, just about.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 03:30:09 PM »

I'm one of those horrible "FF as a person, HP as a president" people when it comes to Dubya. I just can't hate a guy who can pull off an unironically Chad move like this:

Maybe that's why I long for a competent neocon who isn't able to destabilize entire regions of the world willy-nilly.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 03:51:51 PM »

We tried very hard in Afghanistan.  What happened there in 2021 was very painful for our country to watch because of all of our soldiers that had died there over the years, and all that we had put into that fight.  It was a worthy cause... but for now, we lost the battle.  That the Taliban is back in control of it is heartbreaking.

I throw my hands up about it all.

I try to be fair in analyzing George W. Bush's record, but it doesn't look good from the point of view of 2024, not at all.  I do believe that he truly felt he was doing as good a job as he could in keeping the country safe when it came to the homeland, but then again, that was his job - he wanted the responsibility and that's part of the job.

I would have not gone to Iraq until Osama bin Laden was killed and Al Qaeda was eliminated.  I don't object to the invasion of Iraq, but there was already another war and I believe that we needed to fight that one first with all our might.

Our soldiers certainly did everything they could in this fight, but it was going to always be a "long fight".  I don't agree at all with leaving Afghanistan, I think it will turn out to be a mistake in the long run to let go and allow the Taliban free rein to take the country back to where it once was.

We gave it all we could, these were long wars.

One thing is for sure: our soldiers did everything asked of them, and they deserve the nation's gratitude and also admiration.  Many of them, those that came home, are still struggling, and I hope they are receiving the best care right now.  I know several veterans - they have PTSD, and are now part of the mental health community and are differently abled (in wheelchairs), and all of that.  And I always believe what they did must be respected.  They believed in the mission, they joined the military to protect the United States, and they showed tremendous devotion to our country.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 04:19:49 PM »

Irredeemably evil
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 04:31:27 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2024, 05:07:05 PM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

Less remembered but also horrible was W. Bush abrogated the deal Clinton had successfully negotiated with North Korea. Of course, the warmongering foreign policy establishment laughs at these sorts of agreements, so the mainstream media that mindlessly listens to the foreign policy establishment didn't take it seriously either, but there are articles in the alternative left wing press (like The Guardian) of how after North Korea announced that it was resuming nuclear testing and after people like Rumsfailed was fired and Cheney was sidelined, that W. Bush desperately tried to get North Korea back in to the agreement negotiated by Clinton.

This is actually not different from when Obama negotiated an agreement with Iran complete with inspections (as was the case Clinton negotiated with North Korea) how the foreign policy establishment mindlessly quoted by the mainstream media illogically argued that this agreement made it more likely that Iran would develop a nuclear weapon.

And finally, of course, Trump abrogated this agreement as W. Bush had done previously with the agreement with North Korea. However, at least W. Bush had the good graces to not demand that Iran keep its part of the abrogated agreement.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 05:32:37 PM »

Most HP, though the next Trump admin could undo this.

PEPFAR is still nobler than anything Trump or Clinton did afaik. Too bad that's a footnote.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 10:04:15 PM »

Dubya was also the genius who came up with the idea of independent Palestinian elections that led to Hamas taking over the Strip. It’s incredible how, even when you exclude 9/11, Iraq, and Afghanistan, W is still a foreign policy disaster.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 07:19:09 AM »

A disaster.  It is because of him I stopped voting GOP in the 2003-2008 period.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 07:40:30 AM »

A failure so astonishing, arguably all three of his predecessors have failed on the basis they were unable to escape the damage he (and Cheney/rumsfeld/rice/bremer etc) wrought.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 12:15:58 PM »

Freedom policy, the best the USA has ever had, liberating MILLIONS from theocracy and dictatorship!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 12:20:01 PM »

I saw a clip from 2001 where neocons believed the west collectively  had to take out the governments of Iraq , Syria , Lebonan and Iran all at once so things could have been worse
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 12:25:14 PM »

I saw a clip from 2001 where neocons believed the west collectively  had to take out the governments of Iraq , Syria , Lebonan and Iran all at once so things could have been worse

things would have been better if they had and democracy would have had a much easier time taking hold
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 08:30:38 PM »

Horrible. Worse than Trump's, abet for different reasons.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 09:57:36 AM »

Major HP.

Unless troll votes, it's beyond my comprehension this isn't an unanimous vote.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 10:09:30 AM »

The single reason why I will always be more sympathetic to the Democrats than the Republicans.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 10:12:19 AM »

The single reason why I will always be more sympathetic to the Democrats than the Republicans.

Do you think that in the long run W inflicted more damage on America than Trump?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 12:36:08 PM »

Do you think that in the long run W inflicted more damage on America than Trump?

That remains to be seen. I think Trump is more symptomatic of general moral and institutional rot in this country than Bush was, so if Trump did not come around, something similar to his movement would likely arise at some point anyway. Bush's errors were more unforced and much more serious.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 12:39:24 PM »

Never trust a President with 90 percent approval ratings.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2024, 02:02:29 PM »

HP
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 02:05:23 PM »

That remains to be seen. I think Trump is more symptomatic of general moral and institutional rot in this country than Bush was, so if Trump did not come around, something similar to his movement would likely arise at some point anyway. Bush's errors were more unforced and much more serious.

It all comes down to what a potential second Trump term would look like. If he loses in 2024, it's very hard for me to imagine him being viewed as negatively as Bush once we get 100 or 200 years into the future. Humanity will probably still be suffering the consequences of Dubya's presidency centuries after we're dead.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 02:23:38 PM »

I’m not sure I’d call malicious and willful destruction “foreign policy” but whatever it was exactly, it wasn’t good. Easily the worst President of all time. The Middle East was f**ked before Bush, but Dubya sealed its fate for good.

Anyone who thinks Trump was worse in any category is a bad person.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 02:42:48 PM »

I’m not sure I’d call malicious and willful destruction “foreign policy” but whatever it was exactly, it wasn’t good. Easily the worst President of all time. The Middle East was f**ked before Bush, but Dubya sealed its fate for good.

Anyone who thinks Trump was worse in any category is a bad person.

Bush isn’t worse than Buchanan
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2024, 02:53:33 PM »

I tend not to be a fan of war crimes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »