State Your Positions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:51:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  State Your Positions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: State Your Positions  (Read 17682 times)
raggage

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2004, 04:03:12 AM »

In a brief sentence or so state your positions on the big issues of the day as below.

Abortion:

Fully in support of a woman's right to choose. I do however not like the idea of so called 'partial birth abortions', but do not believe they should be outlawed.

Iraq:

Waste of money, waste of time, a waste of good soldiers lives. At the very least nothing should have happened without a broad coalition of nations.

Tax Cuts:

Not a good idea in Bush's form, if they are to be given they must be spread across a wide cross-section of society starting with the most in need.

Gun Control:

Mandatory Gun Locks, Mandatory Gun Safety Courses, Outlawing of assault type weapons completely.

Educations:

Don't think school vouchers are a good idea, however there needs to be more money at both a state and federal level into our schools. Federal Scholarships for College tuition good.

Religion:

Complete separation of church and state, not a nominal lip-service separation. Remove 'under god' from the pledge.

Homeland Security:

Favour the creation of a Department of Intelligence that overseas co-operation between federal and state agencies. I know from experience that getting information out of the F.B.I for municipal law enforcement for example is like getting blood from a stone.

Other Civil Liberties:

Preserve affirmative action, especially in areas like medicine where the need for African-American and hispanic doctors is the most.

End the don't ask, don't tell policy. Have a military accepting of all orientations.

Gay Marriage:

Do not favour 'marriage' as I understand that was a christian institution. I do however favour the EXACT same rights as a married couple in a Civil Union.

Death Penalty:

My position is almost identical to senator kerry's. Opposed to it except in cases of Treason or Terrorism and in known recidivist violent offenders.

specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 05:23:22 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2004, 07:57:00 AM by generic_name »

A few of my stances in a nutshell..

Abortion:

pro-choice, no government funds for abortion unless its a medical necessity.

War in Iraq:

I'm opposed to it. In terms of dangerous terrorist supporting nations, I think Iran has been more of a threat all along.

Tax Cuts:

Cut government programs down.

Education:

Vouchers are a good idea. If competition came into the picture, I think things would be better. Partially privatize  education, especially in failing schools. Businesses are run better than beaurcratic organizations.

Governemt Control Of The Free Market:

Resonable controls need to be in place, total anarcho-capitalism is a bad idea for the average person. Monopolies should be illegal, competition is good.. price fixing is bad.

Second Amendment:

Private citizens should be allowed to own guns.

Religion:

separation of church and state. One's morals are a private matter.

Social Security:

Privatize. Let people choose how they want to handle their money.

Homeland Security:

Big government is the problem not the solution, we need to consolidate agencies. It's not as easy as just adding another department. I'm against privatizing the military, that's a pretty insane idea. heh  

I'm opposed to the Patriot Act.

Other Civil Liberties:

End AA.

Spend the money that's used for enforcement in the drug war, on prevention. Hard drugs are ammunition for gangs, we need to disarm them. People serving time for non violent drug offences should be freed, we can save a lot of money.

I'm for gay marriage, or civil unions. Sexuality is a personal matter.

Death Penalty:

There's only a few instances when I'm pro death penalty.  (none that I could think of)

... note: I really like this forum Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 05:42:45 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2004, 05:47:20 AM by Bono »

Abortion:
Sitting on the fence. Basically, I couldn't care less.
Opose governemnt funding of abortiong and parcial birth abortion tough.
And its basically states' rights.

War on Iraq:
Opposed. Give me the Monroe Doctrine anytime.

Tax Cuts:
Good, because the rich pay way much more than thier fair share. They should be given to the working middle class too. They should also be acompained of widespread budget cuts(the first of them could be knock down the department of education).

Gun Control:
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand? Smiley
Repeal all federal gun control. The rest is states' rights.

Education:
Get the federal goverment out of education. It's states's rights all the way. Knock down the department of education and repeal all regulations. Vouchers one of the worst ideas anyone ever had, since theu are only a mesn to get the government in control of private schools.

Religion:
Wall between church and state. Opose wackos like ex-chief Justice Moore.

Homeland Security:
The Department of Homeland Security is a joke. Knock it down and repeal the Patriot Act.

Other Civil Liberties:
Afirmative Action is reverse discrimination. Kill it.
Repeal all hate speach laws.
Knock down the FCC.
Equal rights for everyone.

Gay marriage:
Churches' rights. The federal government has no authority to legislate about marriage.

Death Penalty:
Opose it, because it's not fair that someone who caused so much suffering suffers only a few seconds of fisical pain. Replace death penalty by life without parole WITH forced works. But Federal Crimes should only be Treason, High Sea Piracy and Couterfeiting Currency. THe rest is states' rights.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 07:49:20 AM »

Here goes,

Abortion - Not personally in favor of it, would never have one myself and would discourage it to anyone considering one. No government funding of it. Wouldn't outright ban it because it would just go underground.

War on Iraq - Not a necessary war. Getting rid of tyrants is good, but I don't feel Saddam posed a real threat to us(WMD or no), so I don't think we needed to do it. Avoid foreign entaglements in general - Leave the UN(any organization where tyrants get the same vote power as us is not good).

Tax Cuts - Bad when we have a deficit. Even if the tax system is not fair, we need to be fiscally responsible. Cut spending, then cut taxes, though lowering taxes in the first place would be a better system.

Gun Control - No federal control, and very few limits the states can impose(mainly on assault weapons, which shouldn't be carried outside of the house or shooting range for any other purpose than opposing a tyrannical government, which we don't have, or foreign invaders).

Education - No federal control. Leave it to state and local government. Give a tax break up to $500 to people who directly fund the education of another person's child.

Religion - Officials can believe what they wish, but they can't enact any laws based on religion. No ten commandments official displays in govt. buildings - they are perhaps good ideas but only three of them are actually laws.

Homeland Security - Rework the CIA, FBI, and law enforcment agencies so they actually share intelligence. Create a new form of airport security that acts like the secret service - smart, well trained, and knows what they are looking for - like in Israel's Tel-Aviv airport(safest in the world). Revise the Patriot Act to include probable cause and take out the more ridiculous parts.

Government and Free Trade - Keep government out of it for the most part. Strip barriers to free trade with other nations. Keep some monopoly and antitrust laws, because competition is good and keeps prices down.

Other Civil Liberties -
Restore prisoner's rights to vote after they have served their time.
End the drug war - let people make their own bad decisions.

Gay Marriage - No federal intervention. Allow people to determine the contractual terms of their own relationships, not the government. Government should only enforce those terms.

Death Penalty - In favor, provided there's adequate proof of guilt. When you take away the civil liberties, such as the right to life, you forfeit those rights yourself. While torture and hard labor is not undeserved, these cost money and I'd rather just be rid of the bastards. If hard labor is to be used, ensure it pays the prison costs of the prisoner.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 08:01:43 AM »

Abortion:

States should be able to decide for themselves, repeal both Roe vs. Wade and federal legislation restricting abortion.

Iraq:

Fix Afghanistan before we think about other countries.  Invest billions and develop Afghanistan into a modern country with happy people.  Make the rest of the Muslim world WANT to be invaded, and then invade Iraq.

Tax Cuts:

I'm more inclined to have tax cuts go exclusively or mostly to those who need money to pay for food and whatnot (bottom income earners).

But, if the government could simultaneously cut spending, I would have no problem with a massive tax cut across the board.  

Gun Control:

Like waiting periods, mandatory registration, etc.  Guns should be hard to get but possible for ordinary people.  I would let the states decide on this one, but it would be too weird for Mass. to ban guns and for New Hampshire to give free ones out at the city hall.

Educations:

Massive overhaul to reform the curriculum and teaching philosophy of the school system to focus on being more effective and teaching practical information.  Against school vouchers in general, but small ones would be acceptable.

Religion:

Try to avoid blatantly injecting religion in government but who the hell cares what's in the pledge or on the money.  Get a job.

Homeland Security:

Homeland Security is good.

Other Civil Liberties:

Scrap AA, it's reverse discrimination.   One can't solve discrimination with further discrimination.

Keep the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.  Being homosexual or not is a personal decision and it is not the business of military recruiters.

Gay Marriage:

It's not the government's business to recognize marriage or not in the first place, it's the churches.  The government should dispense civil unions and leave marriage to the churches.  The churches can then individually decide who is allowed to be married.

If this is not feasible, then let the states decide.

Death Penalty:

States decide.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »

Abortion:

Put it on the ballot for states to decide. Allow no federal funding and have educational classes in schools discouraging abortion.

Iraq:

We rid the world of a tyrant who was seeking chemical, biological and yes that has just been proven nuclear weapons. We were at cease fire with them for over 13 years and they continued to violate UN resolutions over and over. We did the right thing. We just moved to fast towards Baghdad.

Tax Cuts:

A good thing! Get back what you pay. Fair and square. My solution would be the complete elimination of the IRS in favor of a National Sales Tax. I would eliminate the income tax (with the exception of corporations for which the tax was intended).

Gun Control:

No required gun locks. No registration (Hitler made citizens register their guns!). Let the states decide. Bring back TRUE state militias. None of this National Guard BS. The government SHOULD be scared of the common citizen having guns. That's the point.

Educations:

School Vouchers. End Busing (if their still is any???). National standards for school. Ban the NEA. Make it easier to fire lazy or useless teachers.

Religion:

Seperation of Church and state? Show me in the constitution. Keep everything as it currently is. Allow teachers to lead kids in prayer in the classroom if they wish. Push faith based initiatives and soup kitchens for the homeless.

Homeland Security:

Homeland Security is good.

Other Civil Liberties:

Scrap AA, it's reverse discrimination.   One can't solve discrimination with further discrimination.

Keep the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.  Being homosexual or not is a personal decision and it is not the business of military recruiters.

Gay Marriage:

Let the states decide. Do not allow them the same benefits as a straight married couple. If they want health insurance put up a special insurance for homosexuals so my costs don't rise.

Death Penalty:

Used quickly, swiftly and justly. Use on all of those who committed First Degree murder. Clear off death row within the first 6 months of my administration.

migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 10:12:23 AM »

Abortion:
I support a right to make a private decision about the continuance of the pregnancy throughout its gestation. I oppose laws mandating waiting periods, spousal notification, parental consent, parental notification,  misleading presentations, and support federal funding for elective and therapeutic abortions.

Iraq:
I opposed the invasion of Iraq, and have continued my opposition. My primary objection was the effect it had on destabilizing international alliances.

Tax Cuts:
I favor raising the income tax to generate revenue, and support discontinuing income taxation on the poor.

Gun Control:
I support Second Amendment repeal, and subsequent gun control measures.

Education:
I oppose vouchers, support continued busing to end de facto segregation, and favor free, nationalized higher education.

Religion:
I favor a broader interpretation of the establishment clause, which bans school prayer and prayer before school events, disallows public displays of the Ten Commandments and creches, prevents implementation of the Faith Based Initiative, and removes "Under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Homeland Security:
I would help ensure it by promoting goodwill abroad through greater foreign aid spending.

Civil Liberties:
I support continued affirmative action in education, hiring, promotion, and contracting, and support revising civil rights laws to legalize the use of quotas. In addition, I support repeal of the discriminatory "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

Gay Marriage:
I support nationwide same-sex marriage.

Death Penalty:
I support abolishing capital punishment.

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 10:23:55 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2004, 10:31:56 AM by SCJ KEmperor »

Abortion:

Fully support a woman's right to choose, but would leave it up to the states to decide whether it should be legal within their own borders.

Iraq:

Pro-War, Saddam was harboring terrorists and encouraging anti-American actions in the region.  He was also an evil leader of an evil government, and we were totally justified in removing him.

Tax Cuts:

Bush's tax cuts are a good start, but I favor increased tax cuts coupled with cuts in spending for social programs.

Gun Control:

The only people that should be restricted in their ownership of guns are criminals.  Law abiding citizens have every right to defend themselves with whatever guns they desire to own.  Loosen all gun laws.

Educations:

Vouchers are an excellent idea, greater school choice should be encouraged.  However, the federal government has no business getting involved in education.  Therefore, I oppose NCLB and all other federal intervention in the education system.  Let the states handle their education systems in conjunction with their school districts.

Religion:

Complete separation of church and state.  Government and religion have nothing to do with one another. Remove 'under god' from the pledge, and the money.  

Homeland Security:

Like current homeland security plan of merging different agencies under a single head, to better coordinate defense against terrorists.

Other Civil Liberties:

All persons should be treated equally by the government, regardless of race or sex.  Therefore, all so called "Affirmative Action" programs should be declared racist and/or sexist and scrapped.  

Gay Marriage:

Oppose the concept of gay "marriage," as marriage is an institution that exists between a man and a woman.  Civil unions are worth exploring at this time, but might not be such a good idea.

Social Security:  Strongly favor privitization of this failing system.

Death Penalty:

Those who commit capital crimes should be executed as soon as possible.  Fully support the federal death penalty. But beyond that this is a state issue, and each state is free to determine how to punish it's criminals as it sees fit.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 10:30:01 AM »

Abortion - against abortion except for the rare cases of rape and if the life of the mother is at risk. Strongly against taxpayer funded abortion and partial birth abortion.

Iraq - supported going into Iraq and still continue to support the war. Iraq was a threat to America, our interests, and our allies. We had to act and I'm glad we did.

Tax cut - strongly against the idea that the rich should pay more taxes. Just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you should be unfairly taxed. Favor Bush tax cuts.

Gun control - I support Second Amendment rights.

Eduaction - I support school vouchers and more local control of schools.

Same sex marriage - I am against same sex marriage. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman.

Death penalty - I support the death penalty

Affirmative action - I am against affirmative action quotas.

Social Security - Let recepients privatize their portion if they choose to.

Others...

Health care - I am opposed to a government run universal healthcare system.

Environment - I support drilling in ANWR.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 10:44:51 AM »

Abortion:

Opposed to it in principal but cannot support a ban on it as there are many cases where it is necessary.

Iraq:

Although I'm happy that Saddam is gone I believe it was an unnecessary action which has embroiled American forces in an increasingly dangerous quagmire from which we cannot withdraw without disasterous results.

Tax Cuts:

The tax rate can be manipulated to stimulate the economy but should not be played with for purely political purposes because if not done carefully it can do long-term damage to our economy.

Gun Control:

As technology has advanced the 2nd amendment has become archaic; some weapons are acceptable for private ownership and others are not.

Educations:

Creative solutions are required to get parents more involved in education, but school vouchers are a terrible idea.

Religion:

There should be a wall between church and state, breaking down that wall will not only allow religion to influence government but government to influence religion.

Homeland Security:

A positive step but has the potential for abuse.

Other Civil Liberties:

We should work towards creating a nation where all people have equal opportunity.

Gay Marriage:

2 sane, unmarried, consenting adults should be allowed to be married in any state and enjoy the same benefits as any other married couple.

Death Penalty:

A sad necessity whose usage should be very limited.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 06:08:28 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2004, 06:10:17 PM by HockeyDude »

Abortion:

Don't like it, but the gov't has no right to force women to have kids they don't want.  Abortions legal until late months when baby could live if delivered immediately.  

Iraq:

Saddam out.  Good.  But they way we did it, terrible.  It was not worth it.  We needed to get Saddam out to stop the abuse of the Iraqi people, but war was not the answer to that.

Tax Cuts:

Raise them on the wealthy, lower them on the middle class.  

Gun Control:

Anyone over 16 can buy, as long as they pass a mental test.  

Educations:

Fix them up, provide better materials.  

Religion:

Complete seperation of chucrch and state.  UNder God out of Pledge, In God we Trust off money.  One of the steps to a better America is a secular America.  Forcing people to follow others' beliefs is awful.  Religion is personal.  

Homeland Security:

Better intellegence.  More money towards defense and attack detection systems.  

Gay Marriage:

Full marriage rights to all Americans.  

Death Penalty:

It's good.  Some sickos just don't deserve life.  I believe a murderer should be killed in the same manner he/she killed their victims (only in cold-blooded killings, not crimes of passion).  The ONLY time when cruel punishment is okay.  I just have no remorse for cold-blooded killers.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 06:21:41 PM »

Abortion:
I support legalized abortions up to 150 days, then abortions only in rape, incest, or the life of the mother or fetus.

Iraq:
I opposed the way we went around Iraq.  We should have taken care of him, but because of humanitarian insterests.  We also should have assembled a better, larger coalition.  Finally, we should have let (and helped) Afghanistan stabilize before we went to war in Iraq.

That said, I think we should not pull our troops immediatly.  I mean, seriously, that would lead to anarchy of epic proportions.

Tax Cuts:
We should repeal the Bush tax cuts, raise taxes on the wealthiest 2% at least, and work to eventual lowering of taxes on the poor and middle classes.

Gun Control:
I support tighter gun control, including cracking down on gun selling during gun shows, and making it much harder to buy weapons-grade guns.

Education:
I oppose vouchers, and believe we should jack up teachers pay and general pay to schools (not school districts; the administrators will just give themselves raises Smiley), to fund more textbooks, computers, and the like.

Religion:
I favor a broader interpretation of the establishment clause, which bans school prayer and prayer before school events, disallows public displays of the Ten Commandments and creches, prevents implementation of the Faith Based Initiative,

^^^ most of what Migrendel said Smiley

Homeland Security:
I would help ensure it by promoting goodwill abroad through greater foreign aid spending.

^^^ What Migrendel said Smiley

Civil Liberties:
I oppose racial AA; in place of which I support class-based AA.

Gay Marriage:
I support nationwide same-sex marriage.

^^^ What Migrendel said

Death Penalty:

^^^ You get the picture.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »

Abortion - pro-choice
Iraq - Big mistake
Tax cuts - only for the bottom 90% raise em for the rich.
gun control - Against
Education - against vouchers
Religion - Seperation of church and state is necessary
Homeland security - another costly joke.
Civil liberties - i'm a card carrying member of the ACLU
Gay marriage - for
Death penalty - only for cop killers.
Cool
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 07:42:32 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2004, 07:57:43 PM by nclib »

Abortion:

I support a woman's right to make a personal decision about her pregnancy. I oppose the "partial-birth" abortion ban and spousal notification, and support federal funding when necessary.

Iraq:

I opposed the invasion of Iraq, and will continue to oppose it for the following reasons:

-many civilian deaths
-disruption of international alliances
-occupation of Iraq takes money away from domestic programs

Tax Cuts:

I feel taxes are necessary to support government programs, and I support raising taxes on the rich.

Gun Control

I support increased gun control, and an outright ban on certain weapons that are not used for hunting.

Education:

I oppose vouchers, especially those that would end up giving public money to religious schools.

Religion:

I support a full separation of church and state, including but not limited to opposing: organized school prayer, public displays of the Ten Commandments, Faith Based Initiatives, and support removing 'God' from the Pledge of Allegiance and money. (In regards to the Pledge, I am against it in its entirety, but would allow schools to decide.)

Homeland Security:

Security is important, but government should be cautious to protect civil liberties. Opposed to the Patriot Act.

Civil Liberties:

I believe affirmative action is necessary in order to compensate for past/current discrimnination. In addition, I support repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, as it prevents gays from being open about their sexuality.

Gay Marriage:

I support same-sex marriage, in name with all the benefits of heterosexual marriage.

Death Penalty:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »

Abortion:

I support the law as established through Roe v. Wade

Iraq:

Based on lies, and a complete waste of lives, money and resources.

Tax Cuts:

Bush's are wrong. Too skewed to the rich. The highest classes should have the rate raised to far beyond pre-Bush levels. In addition the estate tax should be reinstated.

Gun Control:

I think current federal laws are sufficient, and for the most part share Howard Dean's position.

Educations:

Increase funding into public schools, no vouchers.

Religion:

I favor complete seperation of church and state. I don't really care either way about the "Under God" in the pledge because I think reciting the pledge every day itself is a sign of a much bigger problem than any words in it, but if you had to make me choose, I'd say take the, out.

Homeland Security:

In need of serious reforms

Other Civil Liberties:

Repeal the Patriot Act. Base AA on class, not race. End Don't Ask, Don't Tell and allow open gays to serve.

Gay Marriage:

I'm in favor of equality for homosexual and heterosexual couples, but I think it would be best to leave "marriage" soely to the religious institutions and give civil unions to everyone.

Death Penalty:

Oppose, I would support abolishment.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 07:59:17 PM »

Other Civil Liberties:

Spend the money that's used for enforcement in the drug war, on prevention. Hard drugs are ammunition for gangs, we need to disarm them. People serving time for non violent drug offences should be freed, we can save a lot of money.

Agreed.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 08:01:53 PM »

i'm a card carrying member of the ACLU

So am I, as you can tell by my signature. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 08:03:27 PM »

My problem with joining the ACLU (aside from the membership fees) is their defense of NAMBLA.
ijohn57s

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 08:38:34 PM »

Abortion:

Opposed to abortion. The taking of a human life cannot be justified.

Iraq:

Saddam Hussein was evil a needed to go. Another Al Qaeda ally is gone and good riddance.

Tax Cuts:

All for tax cuts. Lower taxes help to spur economic growth

Gun Control:

I believe in Second Ammendment Rights.

Educations:

School Vouchers. Parents should not be forced to send their children to failing public schools.

Religion:

The Constitution forbids formation of a State Church, not absolute separation. The Constitution forbids prohibiting religious speech, even in public schools and from government officials.

Homeland Security:

Intelligence sharing is deparately needed. Do what ever necesary to provide for that. Tighten up the borders. Keep illegal immigrants out.

Other Civil Liberties:

Affirmative action is destructive. Someone is better off if they work to get a job rather than have it handed to them on a silver platter. Hire the most able worker.

Gay Marriage:

Preserve the institution of marriage. Marriage is what it is, not what a judge says it is. Believe Constitutional ammendment is only way to protect marriage from activist judges.

Death Penalty:

Support death penalty for murderers. Also like the Louisiana law that provides for the death penalty to be administered to child molesters.
raggage

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean... is the person who shoots and kills me should die, but who shoots you does not?

I say jail for life for both instead... Why stoop to there level. An Eye for an Eye is an ancient concept.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 02:10:09 AM »

In a brief sentence or so state your positions on the big issues of the day as below.

We already had a thread on this, but anyway, here's what I'd do:

Abortion:

The Supreme Court already said it's a constitutional right, so it is.

Iraq:

Punish Bush as a war criminal.

Tax Cuts:

Repeal Bush's tax cuts for the rich.

Gun Control:

The Second Amendment means what it says.

Education:

A ban on vouchers to send students to private schools. States should be barred from having such voucher programs, as this robs resources from public schools. Students should be allowed to attend public schools outside their home district for free. College should be free for those who cannot pay. I would also implement a law to prohibit public schools that receive federal money from requiring uniforms.

Religion:

The First Amendment means what it says about separation of church and state. We need to crack down on religious extremists as many other countries have.

Homeland Security:

Repeal the misnamed Patriot Act.

Other Civil Liberties:

Bring back the broad constitutional protections of civil liberites, including the right to privacy. Ban states from putting fingerprints or barcodes on driver's licenses.

Gay Marriage:

The government needs to keep its nose out of the bedroom. But I'd also fix the tax system to stop discriminating against unmarried people.

Death Penalty:

Should be abolished.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 07:41:18 AM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean... is the person who shoots and kills me should die, but who shoots you does not?

I say jail for life for both instead... Why stoop to there level. An Eye for an Eye is an ancient concept.

This post bothered me too - how is my life less valuable than a cop's? Though, I say they should both die - eye for an eye may be ancient, but that doesn't mean it has no merit. You have a murder in your family and I think you'll change your tune.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 01:52:49 PM »

Abortion: Opposed to abortion because it is murder

Iraq: The United States should not be the world's policeman

Tax Cuts: I am for massive tax cuts, but only after massive spending cuts

Gun Control: The right of people to keep and bear arms should not be infringed, just like the Constitution says

Education: I support vouchers, high standards, and elimination of the terrible PC Liberal curriculum in place in many school systems. Also, school attendence should not be mandatory in public schools

Religion: Separation of church and state. As God gave us free will, people must discover for themselves that Christ is our salvation

Homeland Security: Merge of CIA and FBI, elimiation of intrusive Patriot Act policies. A strong military must be maintained

Civil Liberties: End AA completely, end War on Drugs,

Gay Mariage: Oppose it, marriage is between a man and woman

Death Penalty: I'm one of the few people I know who believes that the inalianable right to life includes both unborn children AND death row criminals

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 02:10:27 PM »

Abortion:

Pro-choice until the point of viability.  After that, only in cases where the mother's life is in danger.

Iraq:

I supported the war for humanitarian reasons.  Although it now appears that this administration may not have been competent enough to take on this responsibility.

Tax Cut:

Eliminate payroll tax and other regressive taxes.  Fund the government almost entirely on a highly progressive income tax which exempts all income below the poverty level.  Treat capital gains and inheritances as income for this purpose.

Gun Control:

Repeal the 2nd Amendment, allowing Congress to pass common sense gun control measures just as they have to power to regulate any other dangerous product.  I would personally support a ban on all handguns.

Education:

No vouchers.  Drastically increase federal subsidies for education to assure that all children have access to the same resources no matter the wealth of their community.

Religion:

We should teach children values, and expose them to the ideas of many different religions.   At their core, they all make us better people, as long as we are not intolerant.

Homeland Security:

Stop making people needlessly afraid with vague but useless warnings that never come to anything!  With no terrorist attacks having occured in years, we need to reassess our spending priotities and make sure the billions used for terrorism prevention could not save more lives if they were devoted to health care research, for example.

Gay Marriage:

I support gay marriage, but would be content with civil unions for the time being.

Death Penalty:

I oppose it because it is a waste of money and not very efficiently or fairly administered.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2004, 11:04:15 AM by Miamiu1027 »

Abortion:

In the first three months, abortions legal.  After that, only for the health of the mother.

Iraq:

A mistake, but we can't cut and run, that would have some serious long-term consequences.

Tax Cuts:

Middle class tax cut, raise on the rich.

Gun Control:

Background checks, safety classes, etc.  No gun if you have a blemish on your record, so to speak.

Educations:

Tough call.

Religion:

Should be legal.

Homeland Security:

Get rid of the color system!

Other Civil Liberties:

Review the Patriot Act, keep AA.

Gay Marriage:

In favor of marraige rights to gays but the states should be able to decide.

Death Penalty:

Keep but use rarely, mostly just as a threat than a punishment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies