NCAA head warns that 95% of student athletes face extinction if colleges actually have to pay them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:46:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NCAA head warns that 95% of student athletes face extinction if colleges actually have to pay them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: NCAA head warns that 95% of student athletes face extinction if colleges actually have to pay them  (Read 2645 times)
AlterEgo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2024, 11:57:03 AM »

If you go to college, you go there to get a higher education in a profession. Engineering. Law. Medicine. Education. Not for stupid atheletics, and not for woke majors.

It goes both ways.

Quite frankly, this was the System in American higher education before the 1950s. We had the liberal arts colleges, the land grant universities, and the normal schools dedicated to teacher education. And there were strong technical trade programs in high school as well.

Here's the thing, though, university athletic departments are generally funded in a some combination of ways: athletic department revenue, booster/alumni contributions, and/or student athletic fees. These are all different buckets than a university's general fund and in lots of places the university's academic side can't legally fund the athletic department. Now you could argue that if the AD didn't exist, some of those boosters/alumni would give to the university's academic side, but that certainly wouldn't be a one to one relationship. You could also make the argument that the student athletic fees from tuition could go to academics, but would the state legislatures who allow the athletic fees allow that? So, the reality is that most of the money that goes to sports wouldn't/can't simply transfer over to academics.

It's clear that you think the college experience should just be to go there, go to class, get a degree so you can get a job, and not have any further connection with the university community outside of maybe making some alumni donations. The reality is that a lot of people want to be part of a larger community when they attend school. And sports is a big part of that in American culture. And, also, the reality is that for a lot of alumni, if they didn't have those sports keeping them coming back to campus and being a continuing part of the university community, wouldn't feel the connection that has them making academic donations in the first place.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2024, 09:33:32 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2024, 09:38:38 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

The only thing that saves Miami is they have corrupt alumni probably doing money laundering to buy high school kids. Outside of that it's really a joke school. I can easily see Miami left out in the cold.

Lol it's obvious you know nothing about College football or Miami. The reason Miami became a football powerhouse is because the coaches and admin realized that if they just recruited all the best talent from Tampa to Florida City they could field a football team that would compete with any college. Miami is no more corrupt now or in the past than any big football program. They just got a lot of NCAA attention because they're not part of the good ole boys network. All the other colleges started looking in Miami's backyard to steal their talent.

I know plenty. Modern college football does not need Miami and I'm uncertain what a small private school that only has a fanbase when they're winning adds. We're heading into an era of only 2 power players: the SEC and the Big 10. The SEC are not bringing in Miami. It's questionable whether they would even bring in Florida State due to Gainesville's influence and Florida State University as an institution runs circles around the University of Miami. That leaves the Big 10, and Miami does not fit the Big 10 in the slightest. If you're the Big 10, why would you pick Miami over Florida State if you had your pick and decided we should add the state of Florida to our territory? With the exception of Notre Dame, the era of the private school being a big-time player in college athletics (read: college football) is close to ending. Miami doesn't have the alumni, money, or size. The only reason they came to the ACC to start with was they were desperate for money. Pretty much killed the football team as they became one of many. They've been in the ACC 20 years - hardly a football juggernaut to say the least - and still have yet to win a conference title.

Miami's top-end is either the ACC continues as it is now more or less or they go to a Big 12 desperate to stay relevant so has their pick of the leftovers of the ACC.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2024, 03:10:48 PM »

It's deeply unfair to have easier access to higher education because you're good at sports. It should only matter if you want to have a career in the sport industry.
It is bad for a core element of American culture to be eliminated.

A Culture that would still exist in earnest, or perhaps be even better if we switch to a European style development System, and leave higher education to what it should be.

Higher Education.
Sorry if you want America to be like Europe you can emigrate to Europe and be a bore. Higher education should include sports and the like and thats what makes America better than Europe.
Along with the mass shooting epidemic, garbage rail infrastructure, delusional jingoism and self-centeredness, ignorance of other countries, healthcare worse than even the British, and mass incarceration, right?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2024, 04:04:17 PM »

It's deeply unfair to have easier access to higher education because you're good at sports. It should only matter if you want to have a career in the sport industry.

A Culture that would still exist in earnest, or perhaps be even better if we switch to a European style development System, and leave higher education to what it should be.

Higher Education.
Sorry if you want America to be like Europe you can emigrate to Europe and be a bore. Higher education should include sports and the like and thats what makes America better than Europe.
Along with the mass shooting epidemic, garbage rail infrastructure, delusional jingoism and self-centeredness, ignorance of other countries, healthcare worse than even the British, and mass incarceration, right?

The jingoism is what makes us better
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2024, 06:55:26 PM »

Higher Education.

The jingoism is what makes us better

LMFAO
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2024, 06:57:30 PM »

Higher Education.

Okay, the ignorance of other countries is kind of a stereotype, America doesn't lack in educated people, or open minded people. Just a reminder folks, Marine Le Pen's political party is very very popular in France, and Giorgia meloni is the Prime Minisiter of Italy !

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2024, 01:55:11 PM »

Dartmouth men’s basketball team votes to unionize, though steps remain before forming labor union
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2024, 06:19:06 PM »

Higher Education.
America is a nation of immigrants while Europe is 90%+ white and would treat me and people with my skin color like second class citizens. Sure thing healthcare is worse, but at least there aren't long wait times for simple treatments and we can always improve. European defense relies on America. I am proud to be a born citizen of the best country in the world.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2024, 06:24:35 PM »

Ivy League athletes aren't scholarship athletes so I support it after reading their op-ed because quite frankly all D1 athletes should get scholarships.
world.execute(me)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2024, 07:29:29 AM »

Higher Education.
America is a nation of immigrants while Europe is 90%+ white and would treat me and people with my skin color like second class citizens. Sure thing healthcare is worse, but at least there aren't long wait times for simple treatments and we can always improve. European defense relies on America. I am proud to be a born citizen of the best country in the world.
Further demonstrating that jingoism I see. The US has many massive flaws, and Europe also having serious flaws does not make "US is number one!" takes any less delusional.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2024, 10:20:02 AM »

Higher Education.
Further demonstrating that jingoism I see. The US has many massive flaws, and Europe also having serious flaws does not make "US is number one!" takes any less delusional.

I mean, he does have a point per se. If European Countries actually paid up on their military, they would not have as much of a comprehensive healthcare system as they do now.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2024, 10:22:01 AM »

Higher Education.

German Healthcare performs better than the US ( and the UK  for that matter) regarding wait times. ( Same goes for Singaporean health care, Japaneese,)

We don't exactly have to model the UK or Canada when it comes to Univrsal Healthcare, we have have other models.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2024, 07:37:09 PM »

Higher Education.
Why shouldn’t I be proud to be born in America? The best thing my parents did was immigrate here and I am glad I live a really good life in the best country in the world which I wouldn’t get  in any other place.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2024, 08:27:40 PM »

America haters do not listen to the words other people say.  They do not believe the "lived experience" of other people.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2024, 11:44:25 AM »

Should high school athletes be paid then if college athletes should be? Where does the buck stop? Why should schools run full on professional sports teams? Does that not sound unethical to you? Ideally Congress intervenes to stop this but I do also think top teams spend too much money on what really should be a fun side activity (and arguably have for a while).
AlterEgo

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2024, 01:56:07 PM »

Why shouldn’t I be proud to be born in America? The best thing my parents did was immigrate here and I am glad I live a really good life in the best country in the world which I wouldn’t get  in any other place.

Well, there is of course a theory that it's somewhat silly to be "proud" concerning random attributes that one had absolutely no control over.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2024, 02:19:16 PM »

Should high school athletes be paid then if college athletes should be? Where does the buck stop? Why should schools run full on professional sports teams? Does that not sound unethical to you? Ideally Congress intervenes to stop this but I do also think top teams spend too much money on what really should be a fun side activity (and arguably have for a while).

I don’t think it’s the same.  Colleges have turned college sports into a deeply exploitative cashcow and it has been a highly corrupting influence on colleges in general in a way high school sports have not. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2024, 08:45:04 PM »

I don’t think it’s the same.  Colleges have turned college sports into a deeply exploitative cashcow and it has been a highly corrupting influence on colleges in general in a way high school sports have not. 

Given the amount of cash needed from the cow to cover expenses, this is a problem that can't easily be dialed back.  I certainly agree with YE on this, but big-time college jock sports have become a "Too-Big-To-Fail" enterprise at this point.
AlterEgo

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2024, 12:20:32 PM »

ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips stated that if athletes are made employees, the schools will likely only pay revenue-producing athletes and an equivalent number of female athletes to comply with Title IX.

Phillips: "You can go from 28 to 6 sports in one fiscal year."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2024, 09:53:12 PM »

and maybe that's for the best
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2024, 05:09:43 PM »

Forcible court order avoided:

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2024, 06:14:45 PM »

The NCAA and big schools always had the money to pay the athletes, they got off cheap.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies