South Carolina Republican primary thread - 24 February 2024.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:33:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  South Carolina Republican primary thread - 24 February 2024.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: South Carolina Republican primary thread - 24 February 2024.  (Read 6863 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2024, 09:29:23 AM »

Top SC primary vote-getters

Trump 2024     452K
Bush 2000       306K
Haley 2024      299K
Obama 2008    295K
Clinton 2016    272K
Biden 2020      262K
Gingrich 2012  244K
Trump 2016     241K
McCain 2000    240K

Trump-Haley 2024 looks a lot like Bush-McCain 2000.  Both are highly polarizing races that drew in a lot of voters who usually do not vote in the GOP SC primary.  In 2000 I think the Dems went with a caucus in SC which also made it easier for surge non-traditional GOP primary voters to vote in the GOP primary just like in 2024.

Just like Trump's 2024 NH primary total vote record, I suspect it will be decades before his 2024 record in SC will be broken
More proof this might be a higher turnout election than expected.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2024, 10:41:29 AM »

Top SC primary vote-getters

Trump 2024     452K
Bush 2000       306K
Haley 2024      299K
Obama 2008    295K
Clinton 2016    272K
Biden 2020      262K
Gingrich 2012  244K
Trump 2016     241K
McCain 2000    240K

Trump-Haley 2024 looks a lot like Bush-McCain 2000.  Both are highly polarizing races that drew in a lot of voters who usually do not vote in the GOP SC primary.  In 2000 I think the Dems went with a caucus in SC which also made it easier for surge non-traditional GOP primary voters to vote in the GOP primary just like in 2024.

Just like Trump's 2024 NH primary total vote record, I suspect it will be decades before his 2024 record in SC will be broken
More proof this might be a higher turnout election than expected.

Higher turnout doesn't bode well for Rs we got 80/75 M more votes last time than Rs and it's more Ds in blue states than red state Rs
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2024, 11:06:58 AM »

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2024, 12:48:17 PM »

We are now firmly locked into one final battle for democracy.

Last I checked it's a republic not a democracy. You should move to Freedom or some other country that is a democracy.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2024, 12:49:11 PM »

We are now firmly locked into one final battle for democracy.

Last I checked it's a republic not a democracy. You should move to Freedom or some other country that is a democracy.
Republic and democracy are not mutually exclusive terms.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2024, 01:03:29 PM »

The US Constitution says otherwise.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2024, 01:07:02 PM »

As per SC BOE looks like Haley won SC-01 and Trump won SC-06.   Overall vote totals appear to be higher in SC-01 and lower in SC-06 that what green papers has so perhaps extrapolating errors in the estimate
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2024, 01:08:49 PM »

The US Constitution says otherwise.
Guess what the constitution grants? The right to vote for representatives thus making the US a representative democracy. Republic simply means the government isn’t ruled by a monarch which is also true for the US. The US is a Democratic Republic.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2024, 01:18:56 PM »

Guess what the constitution grants? The right to vote for representatives thus making the US a representative democracy. Republic simply means the government isn’t ruled by a monarch which is also true for the US. The US is a Democratic Republic.

It also outlaws bills of attainders, and requires voters to be citizens of the United States, with verifiable residency.

Thank God it's not a democracy.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2024, 01:20:47 PM »

It also outlaws bills of attainders, and requires voters to be citizens of the United States, with verifiable residency.

Thank God it's not a democracy.

The fact that citizens can vote is what literally makes it a democracy. Please define republic and democracy.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2024, 02:27:33 PM »

Ben Kenobi is back?

Hey, Ben, when are you going to pay up on this wager we made in 2018?  You disappeared right after the midterms instead of following through on your bet.

A friendly wager between Ben Kenobi and myself:

If you are confident that R's will gain seats, how about a friendly wager on it?  Specifically, if the D's end up with fewer than 195 total House seats, I'll change my avatar to match your current one until the end of November.  But if they end up with 195 or more, you change your avatar to I-GA for the same period.  Agreed?

Nah, there are some predictions on the high end that are even more unlikely than yours (there's a D+153, IIRC).

Which is sort of my point, no? Mine at least has polls that reflect the outcome.

How about which of our predictions is closest?  We're both on record in the thread, you at R+4 and me at D+42.  The average of those is D+19.  Want to go over/under on that?  (Exactly D+19 would be a push.)

Why not straight up D takes the house you win. D falls short, I win. Simpler, and that's really the crux of the matter, no?

Fair enough.  It's a bet.

Ben, you can change your avatar now.

(I'll also note for the record that my prediction was within one seat of the actual result.)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2024, 03:07:02 PM »

Haley's outperformance in Charleston seems to be concentrated in precincts where it is very likely 2020 Biden voters came over to vote for her

Junior Chimp

« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2024, 03:59:44 PM »

Biggest Loser of that Night: Rep. Nancy Mace. She endorsed Trump and could not deliver the 3 District Delegates to him. She is toast in the June 7th Primary.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2024, 04:17:21 PM »

Biggest Loser of that Night: Rep. Nancy Mace. She endorsed Trump and could not deliver the 3 District Delegates to him. She is toast in the June 7th Primary.

No she is not. I think she’ll still end up winning the primary.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2024, 07:13:59 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2024, 07:25:00 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

As I've been predicting, in the primary Trump is doing best with Gen Z and worst with Millenials.

Well, that's weird. Because looking at the results by precinct, Trump lost almost every major college campus to Haley, including Clemson and UofSC.

Election results are simply not lining up with the polls right now.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2024, 07:32:47 PM »

After all the garbarge she did ousting McCarthy, pulling the Republican House Conference into Chaos. Nope! She & Boebert will lose.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2024, 07:37:39 PM »

Prediction: Trump 59, Haley 39. The question to me is does Haley win a county?
My numerical prediction was bang on. IDK why I thought she might not win any counties with those topline results though.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2024, 07:39:22 PM »

As I've been predicting, in the primary Trump is doing best with Gen Z and worst with Millenials.

Well, that's weird. Because looking at the results by precinct, Trump lost almost every major college campus to Haley, including Clemson and UofSC.

Have you considered that not all young voters are college students?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #393 on: February 25, 2024, 07:41:19 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2024, 07:51:58 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

Didn't say they were, but the thing is if Trump was actually leading Haley and Biden amongst that age group, we'd be seeing him excelling in areas with high concentrations of young voters, such as college campuses. Such a monumental shift would be showing up in the results somewhere, but it's simply not.

He certainly wouldn't be doing worse with them than he did in 2016.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #394 on: February 25, 2024, 07:52:23 PM »

After all the garbarge she did ousting McCarthy, pulling the Republican House Conference into Chaos. Nope! She & Boebert will lose.

Also don’t forget about Victoria Spartz, another clown of a congresswoman who has managed to alienate everyone.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #395 on: February 25, 2024, 08:04:01 PM »

Yeah the results don't align with this poll at all.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #396 on: February 25, 2024, 08:10:29 PM »

Didn't say they were, but the thing is if Trump was actually leading Haley and Biden amongst that age group, we'd be seeing him excelling in areas with high concentrations of young voters, such as college campuses. Such a monumental shift would be showing up in the results somewhere, but it's simply not.

He certainly wouldn't be doing worse with them than he did in 2016.

The students at those universities likely are registered in their home counties, not at the schools. The voters in those areas are probably professors/locals who live there. UofSC is in Columbia where there maybe was some Dem crossover voters.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #397 on: February 25, 2024, 09:01:17 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2024, 09:10:38 PM by Wisconsin+17 »

The fact that citizens can vote is what literally makes it a democracy. Please define republic and democracy.

Would you define the state of New York as undemocratic for permitting non-citizen voting?

Democracy = One person, one vote There are very few truly democratic systems. The US system is undemocratic because it follows the principles of Montesquieu in checks and balances.

The senate attempts to preserve regional balances at the expense of democracy. The house is also somewhat undemocratic in preservation of partisan gerrymanders, but is more representative than the senate.

The other issue is regarding residency. All voting systems have some form of citizenship and residency requirements in order to qualify for the vote. This is undemocratic, because some who live in a country do not qualify to vote in that country. Then you have age restrictions. Limiting the vote to 18 year olds is undemocratic.

A true democratic presidential system would be very simple. One person casts a ballot for the president. No residency requirements, no citizenship requirements, no age requirements. No states. Just one ballot, everyone's vote counts equally for the presidency.

The US is actually not a democracy, it is a representative republic. Citizens nominate their representatives that represent them in Congress.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2024, 09:03:38 PM »

Hey, Ben, when are you going to pay up on this wager we made in 2018?  You disappeared right after the midterms instead of following through on your bet.

That's a blast from the past. I'm not really 'back'. Just enjoying primary season.

How's life been treating you?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #399 on: February 25, 2024, 09:32:38 PM »

That's a blast from the past. I'm not really 'back'. Just enjoying primary season.

How's life been treating you?

Not bad. Not bad at all.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies