Most thrilling congressional election in your lifetime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:03:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most thrilling congressional election in your lifetime
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most thrilling congressional election in your lifetime  (Read 1030 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 10:45:31 PM »

NY-17. The scumbag chair of the DCCC goes down after meddling in the primary against a good man, giving the Clintons and George Soros a Republican congressman. The same DCCC chair who went along with Nancy’s desire to keep the House and Senate office buildings closed for far longer than they should have been because “muh COVID” while gallivanting off to London and Paris for fundraisers.

OR-05. Portland now has a Republican representing it in Congress. Turns out even the most liberal cities have limits on the chaos they’ll tolerate.

CA-22. After voting to impeach Trump, Valadao beats a highly-touted opponent in a double-digit Biden district even though Democrats pumped $10M into this race.

PA-01 in 2020. Despite all the gaslighting by the hacks on here who told me he was super vulnerable, Fitzpatrick not only wins but does so in a landslide. Ticket splitting is still a thing!

NC-11 primary. An extremely embarrassing and unserious member loses his primary and becomes nothing more than a footnote.

CO-03. Even though Boebert did eke out a win, it proved that there are real electoral consequences for being a MAGA loon who cares more about being a celebrity than actually working for the district.

Had Frisch pulled it off, this race would definitely top my list. As things are, however, it's quite a sore point that he just so narrowly missed out. Seeing a large, rural district colored blue on the map would be visually pleasing, too (kinda like a Democratic AK-AL but smaller-scale).

And in spite of my own liberal leanings, NY-17 is definitely something I can sympathize with. Sean Patrick Maloney deserved to lose that one.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2024, 10:49:54 PM »

IL-13 finally flipping Blue in 2022, albeit aided by redistricting.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2024, 01:21:07 AM »

Alaska Senate 2010 and Nevada Senate 2010.

I was only thinking of ones I'd followed. Over my lifetime I'd have to add Virginia Senate 2006 and 1994, South Dakota Senate 2004, Missouri Senate 2000.

House elections (these I did follow) - Marilyn Musgrave losing in 2008, Eric Cantor's primary defeat.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2024, 10:14:48 AM »

Showing my age with this one, but Ollie North blowing the Virginia Senate race in 1994 (aided by a right-leaning independent candidate) against an extremely flawed and unpopular Democrat in the middle of a historic red wave was a sight to behold. There is a very good documentary about this race/his campaign that I'm forgetting the name of, but if any of the kids here want to learn more you should absolutely track it down. It was such a beautiful (and expensive) disaster and a formative race for me as a political professional.

Also, not a Congressional race but the Newark mayoral election between Sharpe James and Cory Booker was pretty incredible (and also produced a pretty great documentary!). I grew up in North Jersey, a friend of mine was a close Sharpe James aide, and this race produced some of the most memorable (for negative reasons) campaign tactics I've ever seen.
JMT

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2024, 11:25:24 PM »

Not an original answer, but it’s definitely the 2020-2021 Georgia runoffs. Not only did these races flip control of the Senate in dramatic fashion, but they also produced two great senators. GA is probably my favorite Senate delegation in the country.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2024, 11:31:38 PM »

Showing my age with this one, but Ollie North blowing the Virginia Senate race in 1994 (aided by a right-leaning independent candidate) against an extremely flawed and unpopular Democrat in the middle of a historic red wave was a sight to behold. There is a very good documentary about this race/his campaign that I'm forgetting the name of, but if any of the kids here want to learn more you should absolutely track it down. It was such a beautiful (and expensive) disaster and a formative race for me as a political professional.

Also, not a Congressional race but the Newark mayoral election between Sharpe James and Cory Booker was pretty incredible (and also produced a pretty great documentary!). I grew up in North Jersey, a friend of mine was a close Sharpe James aide, and this race produced some of the most memorable (for negative reasons) campaign tactics I've ever seen.

Why was Chuck Robb unpopular in 1994? He was super popular as a Governor and won a landslide in his first Senate race
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2024, 09:43:59 AM »

Why was Chuck Robb unpopular in 1994? He was super popular as a Governor and won a landslide in his first Senate race

He had a waterfall of scandals in the early 90's and was almost indicted - ended up drawing a significant primary challenger in 1994.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2024, 03:56:57 PM »

It was back when normal heterosexual sex scandals mattered.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2024, 06:00:11 PM »

GA senate runoffs 2021
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies