Michael Mann wins $1 million lawsuit over climate deniers

(1/1)

Benjamin Frank 2.0:
A jury on Thursday awarded $1 million US to climate scientist Michael Mann, who sued a pair of conservative writers (Mark Steyn and Rand Simberg) 12 years ago after they compared his depictions of global warming to a convicted child molester (only Simberg really did that.)

Steyn wrote: "Not sure I'd have extended that metaphor all the way into the locker-room showers with quite the zeal Mr. Simberg does, but he has a point," Steyn wrote.

The jury in Superior Court of the District of Columbia found that Simberg and Steyn made false statements, awarding Mann $1 in compensatory damages from each writer. It awarded punitive damages of $1,000 from Simberg and $1 million from Steyn, after finding that the pair made their statements with "maliciousness, spite, ill will, vengeance or deliberate intent to harm."

Simberg and Steyn plan to appeal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-trial-mann-defamation-steyn-simberg-1.7110203

SteveRogers:
I thought for a second that Michael Mann, director of Heat was involved, and I was so very confused.

Steve from Lambeth:
This could have been much, much worse. Isn't it still illegal to sell America Alone in Canada?

Benjamin Frank 2.0:
Quote from: Steve from Lambeth on February 15, 2024, 02:00:17 AM

This could have been much, much worse. Isn't it still illegal to sell America Alone in Canada?

It was never banned in Canada. If it sold poorly in Canada it's probably because most Canadians recognize that Mark Steyn is a liar who writes nonsensical and hyperbolic junk.

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me that a loser like him would falsely claim that it was banned in Canada in order to fool unintelligent people into believing that he's some kind of victim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index