Cabinet Member Election Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:36:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cabinet Member Election Amendment  (Read 4638 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »

We don't need more elections, we already have too many running unopposed as it is. Do you really think we'd have very competitive elections for these positions?

I'm voting Nay.

The election is a yea or nay election if the amendment passes so your point is not valid

"your point is not valid"

Seriously, when are you resigning?

His point is not valid, why don't you actually read for once?  He is complaining about not enough people running in elections, but if there is an up or down vote on a candidate then there is no need to have multiple people.  TN2024, if anyone needs to resign it is you for using the senate's time for personal vendettas rather than senate business.

Unfortunately, all the active Senators have expressed displeasure in you not me, so I have no plans to quit.

I have never seen PBrunsel, BrandonH, Jas, Colin Wixted or Ernest call on me to resign, and some have not even expressed displeasure.  Sorry to soft you have become a whiny liberal

Seems they haven't gotten around to it, or they're a little worried about a scrap while seeking office, something I look forward to rather than avoid. I'm not whining, address the matter at hand (for the 8th time)

What do you plan to do about your actions?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »

Sorry to soft you have become a whiny liberal

This is some of the stuff that people have become fed up with, Senator. Please stop.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »

We don't need more elections, we already have too many running unopposed as it is. Do you really think we'd have very competitive elections for these positions?

I'm voting Nay.

The election is a yea or nay election if the amendment passes so your point is not valid

His point is not valid, why don't you actually read for once?  He is complaining about not enough people running in elections, but if there is an up or down vote on a candidate then there is no need to have multiple people.  TN2024, if anyone needs to resign it is you for using the senate's time for personal vendettas rather than senate business.

Unfortunately, all the active Senators have expressed displeasure in you not me, so I have no plans to quit.

I have never seen PBrunsel, BrandonH, Jas, Colin Wixted or Ernest call on me to resign, and some have not even expressed displeasure.  Sorry to soft you have become a whiny liberal

Seems they haven't gotten around to it, or they're a little worried about a scrap while seeking office, something I look forward to rather than avoid. I'm not whining, address the matter at hand (for the 8th time)

I do not plan to change my action other than personal insults which I will keep at a minimum, unless I am actually breaking any senate procedure.  I will not bend over for the liberals of the senate like some
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 05:47:20 PM »

I'm voting Nay.

I do not plan to change my action other than personal insults which I will keep at a minimum, unless I am actually breaking any senate procedure.  I will not bend over for the liberals of the senate like some

So you accuse me of something, and do not plan to change.

If you don't listen to me, care to address what Phil has said?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 05:50:10 PM »

Sorry to soft you have become a whiny liberal

This is some of the stuff that people have become fed up with, Senator. Please stop.
I concur.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »

I'm voting Nay.

I'm not calling on anyone to resign, but you need to keep cool and maintain your composure which you haven't been doing. TN2024 has been keeping a cool head but he is getting frustrated. You and he (as well as PBrunsel and Phil) are Republicans. When you make a rude outburst like that, you not only make yourself look bad, you are making the Republican Party look bad and to a lesser extent, all conservatives.

Again, just settle down and quit throwing insults at people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 09:37:54 PM »

Since in real life I live in a State where in addition to separately electing the Governor and Lieutenant Governor, I have seven Constitutional officers to elect every four years (not to mention elections for six county officers such Coroner, Clerk of Court, and Register of Mesne Conveyances, and for the district solicitor) I can truly say what government with directly elected cabinet officers is like.  Lousy.

Most voters simply are unwilling to take the time to intelligently decide so many offices, especially those that don't directly affect them.  As a result, save for the few star offices such as State Superintendent of Education or Sheriff, the general election is usually little more than a formality decided purely by party affiliation, and the primaries rarely decided on the issues either.  While we do currently have rather few cabinet members, I'm of the decided opinion that electing cabinet members individually is generally a bad idea.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 02:43:56 AM »

We are voting to strike the test of the amendment and replace it as follows.

1. Cabinet members shall be appointed by the president
2. Before taking office, the cabinet member must be confirmed by the senate and then a simple majority of the Atlasian voters
3. The election will take place the weekend after the confirmation by the senate.
4. If the nominee is confirmed Thursday at noon or later, the election will take place the following week.

Nay
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »

Nay.  Cabinet members already have to wait too long to take office.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »

Appintment by the President; confirmation by the Senate and then election by the people. I really don't see the need for such a change or see how this would improve the current system.

Maybe if the Senate rejected a nominee, I could go along with allowing the President to submit the nominee for consideration to the people.

Nay

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 02:36:53 PM »

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »

Nay
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 01:31:24 AM »

The amendment fails
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »

It's time to put this one out of its misery.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »

We are voting on final passage.

1. Allow cabinet members to be voted on by the citizens of Atlasia.
2. Elections will run concurrently the presidential elections
3. There shall be no term limits for cabinet members
4. IRV voting will used as in all elections
5. This pertains to all cabinet positions and any created or renamed in the future

Nay.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »

Nay

I think I explained my position on this already.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »

Nay
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 11:34:03 AM »

Nay
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »

nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »

Nay
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 04:05:55 PM »

This bill fails.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »

The amendment has enough votes to fail.  Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »

With 6 nays, the amendment has failed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies