Taylor Swift turns Florida Blue??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:33:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Taylor Swift turns Florida Blue??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Taylor Swift turns Florida Blue??  (Read 750 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2024, 07:09:56 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/07/taylor-swift-biden-florida-democrats-00140243

Thoughts?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 07:11:28 PM »

Not going to happen, but she would probably be able to do more than the Florida Democratic Party could. Hell, put her in charge of it!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 07:21:12 PM »

lol
Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 07:27:29 PM »

Remember how Taylor Swift was supposed to lead Phil Bredesen to victory in 2018? Good times.
Redban

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 07:31:36 PM »

I remember when I thought Eminem would give Kerry the win in 2004 because of the anti-Bush song “Mosh,” in which Eminem says “F** Bush” at one point
Cyrusman
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 07:52:18 PM »

Remember when Lebron James was going to help carry Hillary over the finish line in OH? How about all the help Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and Katie Perry gave Hillary

Anyone voting cause a Celeb told them to, shouldn't be voting period.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 07:52:21 PM »

Florida!!! Florida!!! Florida!!!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 08:01:02 PM »

Remember when Lebron James was going to help carry Hillary over the finish line in OH? How about all the help Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and Katie Perry gave Hillary

I agree. That's why it's so bizarre to me that Trump has so many voters and supporters. If they all didn't vote, that would be awesome!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 09:06:34 PM »

To be fair, I'm as skeptical of endorsements meaning anything these days too, but Taylor Swift isn't any ordinary celebrity and her influence has increased since her 2018 support for Bredesen (not that anything would have made him win that year).
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 09:35:04 PM »

To be fair, I'm as skeptical of endorsements meaning anything these days too, but Taylor Swift isn't any ordinary celebrity and her influence has increased since her 2018 support for Bredesen (not that anything would have made him win that year).

I have a feeling that there is no avoiding her, it's weird, because there are so many good singers, and all everyone talks about is her, and i can't even recall a single song she has made, well except maybe for lover & shake it off.

With all respect to her, i just don't understand the hype really, and i think a lot of it is just artificial or the media creating that hype, ironically similar to how they boosted trump in 2016.

Last days i got the feeling Taylor Swift was running for president instead of Biden...

Must say tho, did laugh when you suggested she should be in charge of FLDEM party lol. Yeah, she'd do a better job just because of name recognition alone. The disney company in the state would also easily wanna surf on that Taylor-wave for more than one reason.

And if she wants to, i don't think she wants but if she wants too... yes she could run for president and easily win if she wanted to in 2028.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 09:59:12 PM »

I have a feeling that there is no avoiding her, it's weird, because there are so many good singers, and all everyone talks about is her, and i can't even recall a single song she has made, well except maybe for lover & shake it off.

With all respect to her, i just don't understand the hype really, and i think a lot of it is just artificial or the media creating that hype, ironically similar to how they boosted trump in 2016.

Last days i got the feeling Taylor Swift was running for president instead of Biden...

Must say tho, did laugh when you suggested she should be in charge of FLDEM party lol. Yeah, she'd do a better job just because of name recognition alone. The disney company in the state would also easily wanna surf on that Taylor-wave for more than one reason.

And if she wants to, i don't think she wants but if she wants too... yes she could run for president and easily win if she wanted to in 2028.

I get that it's a matter of personal taste.  But I don't get thinking she's overhyped.  She's iconic, in my opinion.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 10:18:51 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2024, 10:23:17 PM by Laki »

I get that it's a matter of personal taste.  But I don't get thinking she's overhyped.  She's iconic, in my opinion.

Well from all the child stars back in the day, she definitely really made it.

I remember there was like Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande and she was also part of that.

Ariana Grande also still is in the picture but you don't hear much anymore about Bieber and especially Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus. There was One Direction too, but that's basically just Harry Styles now.

I'm definitely not attempting to talk down on her or something, but the "hype" or "talk" is really very excessive. It's like the only star i'm hearing about without actively looking up on that. Like recently, there was maybe Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Eillish and also Beyoncé too that ppl talk about. But it's like never really the amount of how often ppl talk about Taylor Swift and it definitely has increased a lot in Belgian media too.

I agree that compared to 2018 and the Bredesen race it's a lot more. Like a few days ago, there was an entire article in our local newspaper about her and the election. And there's like only 1-2 pages on foreign news in there (and most of it is often Gaza or Ukraine war).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2024, 11:11:33 PM »

I don't have anything against (most) of her music, and I certainly think there are more talented singers and songwriters out there who should be as famous, or more; but she clearly has something that makes her resonate with so many people and remain relevant across close to three decades.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 11:49:20 PM »

I remember when I thought Eminem would give Kerry the win in 2004 because of the anti-Bush song “Mosh,” in which Eminem says “F** Bush” at one point

Obviously she's not going to turn FL blue, but Taylor Swift is currently bigger than all of these celebrities. She's the Beatles in their prime right now, at least during this news cycle. I'm not saying she's always at this peak, heck two years ago she wasn't, but right now all of the media hype is on her. Would this change anything politically? Probably not. But I'm just saying she's probably incomparable to any other celeb in this moment.
Redban

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 11:51:27 PM »

Obviously she's not going to turn FL blue, but Taylor Swift is currently bigger than all of these celebrities. She's the Beatles in their prime right now, at least during this news cycle. I'm not saying she's always at this peak, heck two years ago she wasn't, but right now all of the media hype is on her. Would this change anything politically? Probably not. But I'm just saying she's probably incomparable to any other celeb in this moment.

Bigger than Eminem in 2004? I don’t think so … music industry was bigger then, and Eminem was fresh off 8 Mile, which was a big box office success
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2024, 12:23:40 AM »

Encore was a sucky album though
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2024, 12:59:44 AM »

More of a turnout impact than anything else. It could help in the main swing states, not in Florida.
Remember that there is a lot of people who listen to her songs but don't care much about her, even if her
core fandom is the biggest in the USA. Also, she has a lot more of haters than in the Red and even the 1989 eras, even if a good part of of them only actually hate swifties.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 08:10:09 AM »

Thats insane, thats like saying Arnold could flip California red, its too late democrats, focus on states you can win in!
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2024, 09:34:29 AM »

Hoping celebrity endorsements will save them is a desperate move and a sign that Biden's campaign managers are desperate. They weren't making these plays in 2020.
Redban

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 09:39:53 AM »

Hoping celebrity endorsements will save them is a desperate move and a sign that Biden's campaign managers are desperate. They weren't making these plays in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-us-2020-54789706

US Election 2020: Lady Gaga campaigns for Biden on eve of vote

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/lady-gaga-biden-drive-in-rally-9477455/amp/

Lady Gaga Pleads With America to ‘Vote Like Your Life Depends on It’ at Biden’s Pennsylvania Rally

https://ew.com/music/lady-gaga-performance-joe-biden-rally-pittsburgh/

Watch Lady Gaga perform at Joe Biden Pittsburgh rally

GAinDC

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2024, 09:41:28 AM »

We honestly don't know how much Taylor's endorsement may have helped Bredesen in 2018. He definitely ran several points ahead of Generic Dem in the state, and absolutely cleaned up in the urban counties. It's just that TN is so red that it wasn't enough for to win.

If Swift's endorsement boosted Bredesen a couple points, then why couldn't her endorsement today as an even bigger star boost Biden a couple points in states that are actually competitive?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:46 AM »

No it's a red state with Trump just like TX it's down to Gallego, Tester, Osborne and Brown for the S we only need 290 not 303 since it can be split voting
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2024, 09:49:04 AM »

No it's a red state with Trump just like TX it's down to Gallego, Tester, Osborne and Brown for the S we only need 290 not 303 since it can be split voting
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 10:00:51 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2024, 10:03:55 AM by SWE »

We honestly don't know how much Taylor's endorsement may have helped Bredesen in 2018. He definitely ran several points ahead of Generic Dem in the state, and absolutely cleaned up in the urban counties. It's just that TN is so red that it wasn't enough for to win.

If Swift's endorsement boosted Bredesen a couple points, then why couldn't her endorsement today as an even bigger star boost Biden a couple points in states that are actually competitive?
Yeah, I doubt Taylor Swift's endorsement actually contributed to his over performance, but using the fact that a candidate she endorsed lost by 11 points in a state Trump won by 23 points as evidence of the futility of her endorsement is laughable. If you want to argue Taylor Swift can be extremely useful to the Democrats, Tennessee 2018 is the best piece of evidence you have. Very bizarre thing for people who think Taylor Swift can't help Democrats to talk about. That being said,

Remember how Taylor Swift was supposed to lead Phil Bredesen to victory in 2018? Good times.

No, I don't remember this. Most prognosticators had TN 2018 at least at Lean R. A couple had it as a tossup, but the idea that Bredesen was the favorite was never a mainstream viewpoint
Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 10:14:20 AM »

No, I don't remember this. Most prognosticators had TN 2018 at least at Lean R. A couple had it as a tossup, but the idea that Bredesen was the favorite was never a mainstream viewpoint

I was semi-joking, but there were some people I followed online who genuinely believed that. Bredesen over performed really because he was a former popular governor, and it was an open seat.

The thing is though is that the demographic that loves Taylor Swift, 20 something year olds are so unreliable as voters, that we shouldn't trust them to actually go through and vote for real, irregardless of her obvious huge impact. Also relying on celebrity endorsement for success in a state is what I would say is definitely never the greatest sign.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies