Will Georgia Become a Red State Again?

(1/7) > >>

GAinDC:
A lot has been made of GA becoming blue, but what if the opposite is true?

If a realignment occurs where Republicans continue to do very well in rural areas while improving their performance among lower income urban voters, does that make GA a red state again?

Alben Barkley:
If it does it might be looked back on as the next Indiana 2008. I was going to say the difference is Indiana didn't have two Democratic senators, but then I remembered Evan Bayh and Joe Donnelly... Not at the same time, but close.

Fancyarcher:
Quote from: Alben Barkley on January 16, 2024, 02:30:46 PM

If it does it might be looked back on as the next Indiana 2008. I was going to say the difference is Indiana didn't have two Democratic senators, but then I remembered Evan Bayh and Joe Donnelly... Not at the same time, but close.

The Indiana 2008 comparisons makes zero sense, not just because there'll probably never be another Indiana 08 in our lifetimes, but also because Georgia swung left in 2016, and was in single digits. It was always there for the taking.

And Bayh got elected in a far less polarized time, he and Donnelly subsequently lost fairly badly. The fact that Georgia has two Democratic Senators in 2024 is very noteworthy.

Arizona Iced Tea:
The only way Georgia can become a red state after 2024 is if Trump carries it but fails to reach 270 EV and thus the Presidency. If Trump or Biden win Georgia and the presidency, it remains a swing state since it voted for the winner of the presidential election three times in a row. If Biden likewise wins Georgia without re-election then it's fair to call it a blue state. This is a pretty solid barometer that works since 2004.

wnwnwn:
Democrats won the last Senate election and republicans won the last House election by 4,62%
There is little sign of a possibility of it becoming a safe republican state again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page