Do you like the term Hispanix?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you like the term Hispanix?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Do you like the term Hispanix?  (Read 552 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 04:56:32 PM »

It’s better than Latinx and Latine which sounds like anti-Hispanic slurs. It’s also better for linguistic reasons, as Hispanic is a English word and as such it’s more a way to play with the English language than bunch of cultural imperialists enforcing their neurotic delusions on another language and culture.

Of course I’m still negative, because I don’t the obsession with the letter x, it seem a call back to the Black struggle, except when it was used then, it was used in a intelligent and cultural significant manner, while now it’s used in a stupid and plagiarizing manner.
The real funny thing about X is it's something that both wokesters and Elon Musk have in common. Elon Musk likes the letter so much that he was willing to reduce formerly known as Twitter's value by billions by replacing one of the most recognizable brands and trademarks out there with arguably the most generic sounding name possible, see how "Brand X" is used as sort of a generic term...and a term that no one except heatcharger uses anyway, even the media will just refer to "X, formerly known as Twitter". Wokesters meanwhile like the letter and think adding it to any word magically makes it more inclusive because reasons.

Both of course are delusional and make no sense.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 09:30:47 PM »

Incidentally, the existence of the word "Hispanic" puts a point on how useless "Latinx" is as a term in English, as we already had a gender-neutral term. Makes sense that people would want to warp that one too.
The two do not mean the same thing, although in the US the Venn Diagram of people both apply to is close to a complete overlap, but for example Brazilians are Latino but not Hispanic, and Spaniards are Hispanic but not Latino. Incidentally this is why I've heard some wokesters argue why "Hispanic" isn't OK, because it includes Spain the evil colonizing country. Which of course is something that virtually no Hispanic/Latino people (using the slash here to cover people who fall under both categories) in the US or Latin America care about now.

Didn't think of Brazilians not being Hispanic. My mom makes a big deal out of claiming to be Hispanic, being half Spaniard, which is something I have always found intuitively odd.

The thing I've notices through my exposure to Latino culture is how much pan-Latin identity is not a thing people from there care about. People from the Coffee Belt of Colombia are aware of there existing a region called Latin America that they share with Rolos (people from Bogotá), Venezolanos, Peruanos, Chilenos, and so forth, but they instinctively see their differences as being much more important than their similarities. They do think Americans are more different, but the idea that they share one struggle would be baffling to them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies