United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 02:16:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 122
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 98139 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: June 07, 2024, 08:30:46 AM »

I'll say it again - what I find so interesting about the UK elections this year is that Conservatives are rightfully being punished for things. Like, this is how things are supposed to work in politics - conservatives keep messing up, and voters are reacting to that rationally.

It's such a complete difference from the U.S.

Would it be fair to say that in the UK, political parties are more like contractors who the voters hire and fire to do a job, while in the US they're more of a tribal affiliation (especially on the Republican side)?

100%. And I wonder why that it is. Even Conservatives in this era don't seem tied to any of their leaders. There's no cult like obsession with leaders, not with Sunak or Starmer or any of them. I guess in France, LePen is maybe someone who got close to Trump status but still, the U.S. seems much different than most of the world in that aspect. Not sure what makes us so much more tribalistic.

I go back to how Sunak has been embarrassed over and over by virtually everyone over there it seems. Meanwhile, you'd think Trump would be 10x more embarrassed by everyone over here but half the country believes he's God.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1701 on: June 07, 2024, 08:34:56 AM »

As this abysmal campaign goes forward it becomes increasingly likely the Tories net less than 75 MPs. How will they function? who of that batch could be the next potential leader?

I am putting aside the question of how will they cope in doomsday scenario of less than 20 MPs as I think the 1922 committee will stop functioning

There are some people out there who will vote Conservative no matter what and still see Labour as the militant left … So I feel like they have a base of support where there is no chance - none at all, that they have less than 75 seats. Only way I could even concieve of that is reform essentially became the conservative vote in total

Unfortunately for them, the electoral system is FPTP rather than PR. Many millions could vote for them and their seat total could be derisory. The Lib Dems and their preceding equivalents know this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1702 on: June 07, 2024, 08:42:33 AM »

I'll say it again - what I find so interesting about the UK elections this year is that Conservatives are rightfully being punished for things. Like, this is how things are supposed to work in politics - conservatives keep messing up, and voters are reacting to that rationally.

The Tories have been in power for 14 years and are only now getting their comeuppance after bullsh*tting their way through three successive elections. If the GOP had managed that the US would be over as a country.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1703 on: June 07, 2024, 08:47:07 AM »

The Tories have been in power for 14 years and are only now getting their comeuppance after bullsh*tting their way through three successive elections. If the GOP had managed that the US would be over as a country.

True true, I always forget it's been so long of dominance.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1704 on: June 07, 2024, 08:58:56 AM »

I am curious for those that are in the UK/following this closely as well - is there the same type of issues over there in terms of 'ambivalence' from young voters? The same way here, far leftists and some young voters on social media try and say Biden/Trump are the same, "i'm not gonna vote for either one!!" etc etc. Are they also ambivalent about Labour and conservatives or is there less of that there?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1705 on: June 07, 2024, 08:59:16 AM »

In addition to what everyone else has said about just what poor form Sunak has shown here, it’s genuinely mind-boggling. Like I cannot think of any remotely rationally defensible thought process that could have come up with this as a good idea.
kyc0705

« Reply #1706 on: June 07, 2024, 08:59:22 AM »

Not sure what makes us so much more tribalistic.

I would assume that the very different media environments play a role, as well as the fact that there are two-party systems and then there are two-party systems.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1707 on: June 07, 2024, 09:28:09 AM »

I know that newspaper endorsements the day or so prior to Election Day seem to matter a fair amount in the UK (or do they, still?).  I wonder if the Mail and/or Telegraph break with their routine for this election and back Reform?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1708 on: June 07, 2024, 09:57:04 AM »

I know that newspaper endorsements the day or so prior to Election Day seem to matter a fair amount in the UK (or do they, still?).  I wonder if the Mail and/or Telegraph break with their routine for this election and back Reform?

Telegraph has already backed Sunak irrc; Mail might do a plague on both your houses.

What actually matters more than actual endorsements is that all papers will be more willing to give Labour the benefit of the doubt as they know who will most likely be in Government in July and they want Ministers/advisers to want to work with them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1709 on: June 07, 2024, 09:58:55 AM »

In 2015, the Express backed UKIP, so they'd be the one to watch.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1710 on: June 07, 2024, 10:01:51 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2024, 05:11:13 PM by Torrain »

Aye, utility of endorsements is pretty weak at this point. Do wonder if the past fortnight has pushed Murdoch to the point where his empire could endorse Starmer, or if LOTO’s refusal to rule out Leveson 2, and his role in the phone hacking prosecutions has precluded that. 

Also - candidate nominations, as of 16.00, are now officially closed.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1711 on: June 07, 2024, 10:14:36 AM »

As this abysmal campaign goes forward it becomes increasingly likely the Tories net less than 75 MPs. How will they function? who of that batch could be the next potential leader?

I am putting aside the question of how will they cope in doomsday scenario of less than 20 MPs as I think the 1922 committee will stop functioning
I mean at soem point reform will win seats if the tories keep sknking
There are some people out there who will vote Conservative no matter what and still see Labour as the militant left … So I feel like they have a base of support where there is no chance - none at all, that they have less than 75 seats. Only way I could even concieve of that is reform essentially became the conservative vote in total

Unfortunately for them, the electoral system is FPTP rather than PR. Many millions could vote for them and their seat total could be derisory. The Lib Dems and their preceding equivalents know this.
Duke of York

« Reply #1712 on: June 07, 2024, 10:20:57 AM »

Aye, utility of endorsements is pretty weak at this point. Do wonder if the past fortnight have pushed Murdoch to the point where his empire could endorse Starmer, or if LOTO’s refusal to rule out Leveson 2, and his role in the phone hacking prosecutions has precluded that. 

so did the Conservatives end up leaving a lot of seats without a candidate?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1713 on: June 07, 2024, 10:36:15 AM »

Aye, utility of endorsements is pretty weak at this point. Do wonder if the past fortnight have pushed Murdoch to the point where his empire could endorse Starmer, or if LOTO’s refusal to rule out Leveson 2, and his role in the phone hacking prosecutions has precluded that. 

It's unlikely, as there are procedures for imposing a candidate at the last minute. The only way there are likely to be gaps is if somebody screwed up paperwork and there wasn't time to correct the error.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1714 on: June 07, 2024, 10:36:33 AM »

Duke of York

« Reply #1715 on: June 07, 2024, 10:39:39 AM »

i wonder what this unwinnable seat is.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1716 on: June 07, 2024, 10:45:13 AM »

You can hear the sigh of relief from them. Which is not exactly impressive for an election called by their own damn PM.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1717 on: June 07, 2024, 10:45:30 AM »

I mean most seats are unwinnable for them
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1718 on: June 07, 2024, 10:46:00 AM »

That's a big mess-up; when was the last time a major part left a seat uncontested in Great Britain.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1719 on: June 07, 2024, 10:46:36 AM »

Don't know if this is the missing seat Crick is talking about, but congratulations Kim Leadbetter
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1720 on: June 07, 2024, 10:47:57 AM »

According to Crick, the missing seat is Rotherham

https://x.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1799105249678143891
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1721 on: June 07, 2024, 10:50:18 AM »

It's unlikely, as there are procedures for imposing a candidate at the last minute. The only way there are likely to be gaps is if somebody screwed up paperwork and there wasn't time to correct the error.
What are the procedures ? is there a list of people that can be slotted in anywhere ?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1722 on: June 07, 2024, 10:51:07 AM »

I guess we have a new contender for the seat with the highest Reform vote share then, though obviously they will come nowhere near to winning it.
oldtimer
YaBB God
Greece

« Reply #1723 on: June 07, 2024, 10:52:30 AM »

You have to remember that the Conservative party briefly ceased to exist in the end days of May just 5 years ago, so it's not as solid as you think :

Duke of York

« Reply #1724 on: June 07, 2024, 11:02:13 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2024, 11:07:18 AM by Duke of York »

You have to remember that the Conservative party briefly ceased to exist in the end days of May just 5 years ago, so it's not as solid as you think :

if this pans out Sky News is going to be beyond entertaining to watch on July 4th.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 122  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies