United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 01:31:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 121
Author Topic: United Kingdom General Election: July 4, 2024  (Read 97234 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: May 31, 2024, 01:56:21 PM »

Can't wait to see all the crazies they end up grabbing at the last second to fill all those vacancies

Well, you’ll never guess who’s on the shortlist for Wokingham
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1276 on: May 31, 2024, 01:57:05 PM »

Can't wait to see all the crazies they end up grabbing at the last second to fill all those vacancies

Is this someone pulling Crick's leg (again...) or is it real?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1277 on: May 31, 2024, 02:04:13 PM »

Is this someone pulling Crick's leg (again...) or is it real?

Honestly, I'm still trying to work that out. No one else reporting it, but then that's been the case for most of the non-Abbott selections over the past week.

Stuck in this loop where Crick's initial point (selections are under-reported and might benefit from more scrutiny) holds up, but he's such an unreliable messenger that it leaves you looking for other sources, and then you remember...
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #1278 on: May 31, 2024, 02:04:38 PM »

lol I did not guess that
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1279 on: May 31, 2024, 02:37:20 PM »

Perhaps the idea is that the electorate in the constituency will assume that she is David Cameron's sister.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1280 on: May 31, 2024, 02:49:09 PM »

Stuck in this loop where Crick's initial point (selections are under-reported and might benefit from more scrutiny) holds up, but he's such an unreliable messenger that it leaves you looking for other sources, and then you remember...
He’s great at reporting a lot of things, but doesn’t exactly do so in a calm, factual way all the time…
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1281 on: May 31, 2024, 03:06:31 PM »

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1282 on: May 31, 2024, 03:10:48 PM »

Desire the numbers in the graphics, it's actually (with tactical voting applied):

CON: 66
LAB: 476
LD: 59

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1283 on: May 31, 2024, 03:21:52 PM »

What exactly does a major political party do where there is a better chance of them falling to 3rd than forming government again?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1284 on: May 31, 2024, 03:22:18 PM »

Mother of God...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1285 on: May 31, 2024, 03:22:58 PM »

What exactly does a major political party do where there is a better chance of them falling to 3rd than forming government again?

The old joke would have been something like 'proposes bringing back National Service', as it happens.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1286 on: May 31, 2024, 03:37:08 PM »

I saw a conversation elsewhere in which a Labour majority of 73 was predicted and one of the participants (who seemed to be pro-Labour or at least anti-Tory) was dismissive that it could be that high. I don't think most people and certainly not most of the media have clocked onto what a bloodbath this might be.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1287 on: May 31, 2024, 03:49:50 PM »

If true its presumably a case of running a paper campaign in a hopeless seat to get the redundancy payment that losing MPs get but retiring ones don't. The concern for the tories is that that would mean that somewhere with a 7000 majority that they have held for over 100 years is already complete written off..
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1288 on: May 31, 2024, 03:58:22 PM »

If true its presumably a case of running a paper campaign in a hopeless seat to get the redundancy payment that losing MPs get but retiring ones don't. The concern for the tories is that that would mean that somewhere with a 7000 majority that they have held for over 100 years is already complete written off..

Crick is now reporting that the Tories have selected someone else in Wokingham. (Lucy Demery)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1289 on: May 31, 2024, 04:24:33 PM »

Its almost certainly not as many as 200 in reality, and few if any GB seats (the Speaker's excepted) won't have a Tory standing when nominations close a week from now.

I also can’t imagine them failing to nominate candidates in any seats they hold, and the number of seats they don’t hold where them not standing would matter is very small (maybe some SNP-Lab battles but there not 100% clear who it benefits, a few SNP-LD battles where the beneficiary is more clearly the LDs but the Tories seem to have nominated in all of them, and a few LD-Lab battles, although the only one of those I can think of is Sheffield Hallam, which incidentally does not seem to have a Tory candidate yet).
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #1290 on: May 31, 2024, 04:25:21 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2024, 04:39:22 PM by MABA 2020 »

I saw a conversation elsewhere in which a Labour majority of 73 was predicted and one of the participants (who seemed to be pro-Labour or at least anti-Tory) was dismissive that it could be that high. I don't think most people and certainly not most of the media have clocked onto what a bloodbath this might be.

Everyone I've talked to about the election has basically been like "I think Labour might win" and when I say it's going to be another 97/over 400 seats it's met with scepticism, so no I don't think people are prepared for how bad it might be for the Tories.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1291 on: May 31, 2024, 04:55:21 PM »

So according to the people who actually do MRPs, this wasn't comparable to those? Some data people are dragging it for seemingly just plugging and chugging.

So I'm not sure what it tells us other than universal swing breaks under 20-point flips and a confirmation that tactical voting is a thing.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1292 on: May 31, 2024, 05:14:07 PM »

Select the son of a former PM as their next leader.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1293 on: May 31, 2024, 05:27:17 PM »

Select the son of a former PM as their next leader.

Well, if the electoral route doesn't work, Mark Thatcher does have some experience with coups.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1294 on: May 31, 2024, 05:54:41 PM »

Good, honestly. Don't want voters to get complacent. It's to the interest of both Labour and frankly, civic health, that people think the election is competitive even if it isn't.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1295 on: May 31, 2024, 07:28:38 PM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1296 on: June 01, 2024, 03:55:35 AM »

It’s very strange in that anything below a 1997 style result for Labour will be met and presented as a disappointment but no-one is at all ready for the possibility that Labour could get north of 450!

Everyone has been reporting these huge poll leads but just assuming it will come down in a campaign because of ‘muh magic’ or ‘muh President Sunak’.

Like with the locals the thing that is making me think it could be a bigger landslide is the scale of Tory voters in safe seats (e.g ones they have held since 2005 or even 79!) who are not going to support them.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1297 on: June 01, 2024, 04:58:54 AM »

This is a massive majority. How are they going to govern with 500 or so MPs? Will they seek some revolutionary policies or rather try to brand themselves as the new natural party of governance?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1298 on: June 01, 2024, 05:00:16 AM »

I know I've posted about the SNP's lack of advertising footprint, but there's detail in the Guardian that puts it into perspective:

Quote from: The Guardian
Data on online election spending compiled by Who Targets Me has suggested that the SNP has spent tiny sums on campaign advertising in the last month, as it tries to compete against Scottish Labour, which is now ahead in polling.

Its figures show the SNP spent £811, or 2.6%, of the £31,000 paid for online advertising in the four weeks to Sunday 26 May. By contrast, Scottish Labour has spent £20,000, 64.5% of the total, and the Scottish Conservatives £8,950 (28.9%).

The Daily Mail has reported that SNP MSPs have been urged to offer free beds to party workers travelling from Westminster to work on the election as the party is unable to afford hotel beds.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1299 on: June 01, 2024, 05:01:10 AM »

Beyond the sheer scale of the gap - the housing thing is raising eyebrows. The SNP government’s own laws on short-term lets could lead to their staffers receiving fines up to £2,500 (something the short-term let organisation ASSC has gleefully pounced on).

Using housing paid for by parliamentary expenses or ScotGov’s housing scheme for explicitly political purposes is also a rather blatant breach of the rules…
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 121  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies