Gerrymandering the States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:03:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Gerrymandering the States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Gerrymandering the States  (Read 18710 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »

splitting amount cultural lines, it'd probably be best to create a new state by adding the eastern Dakotas and Nebraska to western Minnesota and Iowa, and creating a new state out of west Dakotas, Nebraska, and parts of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2004, 06:02:55 PM »

This is not my own original idea, but I thought it related well to this discussion.  A proposal for a 38-state nation:

http://www.tjc.com/38states/
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2004, 08:34:20 PM »

If you could redraw the map of the United States today and change all the states bounderies, would you?  How would you do it.  I'll provide some answers when I get back from class.

ex. attaching Michigan's upper penisula to Wisconsin.

How about we trade the norteast to Canada, in trade for the western provinces.  

I feel sorry for the people in Manitoba and Alberta,  trapped under the thumb of Quebec.  
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2004, 08:45:01 PM »

This is not my own original idea, but I thought it related well to this discussion.  A proposal for a 38-state nation:

http://www.tjc.com/38states/

I don't know whether I was born in Fort Wayne, Dearborn, Fort Wayne, Erie, or even Fort Wayne, Wabash Tongue
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2004, 09:02:26 PM »

Gave me an idea:

PBrunsel is “Making American Geography Fun and Easy.”

1. The Common Wealth of Virginia is renamed East Virginia

2. The State of Kentennessee (A mix of Kentucky and Tennessee)

3. Of course the great sate of Oklahio.

4. Dakota and Carolina will be states as to make things easier for students, especially 4th and 5th graders.

5. All capitols will say their state name and then city (Examples: The capitol of Utah is Utah City, the capitol of Michigan is Michigan City, and so on). This is to make learning the states’ capitols easier for 4th and 5th graders.

6. Texas will be renamed “Cowboys”.

7. California will be separated into two parts: Los Angeles, and the rest of California.

8. Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Vermont will revert back to colony status.

9. New Hampshire, New York, and New Jersey will be merged into the state of “New.”

10. Alaska will be given independence; only under the circumstance it names itself “Seward’s Folly.”

11. New Mexico is still the name of the state, but Mexico must change it’s name to “Old Mexico.”

12. Iowa will be awarded Minnesota, northern Missouri, Illinois, southern Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Guam, and Delaware. Why you ask? Because Iowa is the best state ever, of course. Smiley

13. The remaining states will be proclaimed “Junk States” and merged into the surrounding states, with the exception of Pennsylvania; which will be used as a giant swimming pool.

14. I forgot to add Florida, Florida will be renamed “Old People” due to all the old people there. It’s capitol is Old People City.

(In case you are wondering, this is but a joke.)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »

Well, there suggestion for the state of "Allegheny" looks almost exactly like my suggestion for a similar state.  I don't know about some of these though, and the names kinda suck.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2004, 10:26:51 PM »

Gave me an idea:

PBrunsel is “Making American Geography Fun and Easy.”

1. The Common Wealth of Virginia is renamed East Virginia

2. The State of Kentennessee (A mix of Kentucky and Tennessee)

3. Of course the great sate of Oklahio.

4. Dakota and Carolina will be states as to make things easier for students, especially 4th and 5th graders.

5. All capitols will say their state name and then city (Examples: The capitol of Utah is Utah City, the capitol of Michigan is Michigan City, and so on). This is to make learning the states’ capitols easier for 4th and 5th graders.

6. Texas will be renamed “Cowboys”.

7. California will be separated into two parts: Los Angeles, and the rest of California.

8. Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Vermont will revert back to colony status.

9. New Hampshire, New York, and New Jersey will be merged into the state of “New.”

10. Alaska will be given independence; only under the circumstance it names itself “Seward’s Folly.”

11. New Mexico is still the name of the state, but Mexico must change it’s name to “Old Mexico.”

12. Iowa will be awarded Minnesota, northern Missouri, Illinois, southern Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Guam, and Delaware. Why you ask? Because Iowa is the best state ever, of course. Smiley

13. The remaining states will be proclaimed “Junk States” and merged into the surrounding states, with the exception of Pennsylvania; which will be used as a giant swimming pool.

14. I forgot to add Florida, Florida will be renamed “Old People” due to all the old people there. It’s capitol is Old People City.

(In case you are wondering, this is but a joke.)

State Abbreviations
RC - Rest-of-California
LO - Los Angeles
JS1 - Junk State 1
JS2 - Junk State 2
DA - Dakota
CB - Cowboys
OK - Oklahio
IA - Iowa
JS5 - Junk State 5
KT - Kentennessee
OP - Old People
CA - Carolina
EV - East Virginia
JS3 - Junk State 3
NW - New
JS4 - Junk State 4

And, I'm sure you will approve, PBrunsel,

RJ - Randy Jones Land

Grin
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2004, 12:13:57 AM »

Back from a day in the park with my family, I'll continue with more detail.

The states of the Foundry:

Winnebago (pop. 2.9 M) includes the WI coast of Lake Michigan from Green Bay south to IL.

Calumet (pop. 8.9 M) includes the Chicago metro area including northwest IN.

Michigan (pop. 7.0 M) includes Lower MI except for the Detroit area, and includes northeast IN and northwest OH.

Erie (pop. 7.8 M) includes the southern shore of Lake Erie from Detroit through Toledo and Cleveland to Erie PA.

Ohio (pop. 8.1 M) includes central and southern OH and central IN with Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis.

Allegheny (pop. 8.1 M) includes western and central PA, eastern OH, northern WV, and far western MD.

Chesapeake (pop. 8.7 M) includes the Baltimore and Washington metro areas and the lower Susquehanna valley in PA. Note that DC gets to be part of a state!

Delaware (pop. 8.9 M) includes southeast PA, southern and central NJ, northern DE and a bit of MD between DE and the river.

Oneida (pop. 5.6 M) includes NY west of the Hudson Valley and northeast PA around Scranton.

Hudson (pop. 10 M) includes New York City and suburbs in NY, NJ and CT, but not Long Island.

Long Island (pop. 7.4 M) includes all of Long Island NY including Brooklyn and Queens.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2004, 12:19:15 AM »

The states of New England:

Champlain (pop. 3.7 M) includes ME, NH, VT, and the Adirondack region of NY.

Massachusetts (pop. 4.8 M) includes eastern MA and Cape Cod and the Islands.

Berkshire (pop. 3.4 M) includes western MA from Worcester through Springfield, the Hudson Valley in NY from Albany to Newburgh, and Sussex county NJ.

Connecticut (pop. 3.6 M) includes RI and CT except for Fairfield county.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2004, 12:29:23 AM »

The states of Dixie:

East Texas (pop. 6.9 M) includes Houston area west to Bryan and north to the Red River.

Ozark (pop. 5.9 M) includes AR, eastern OK with Tulsa, and southern MO up to Jefferson City.

Louisiana (pop. 4.5 M) includes present LA.

Mississippi (pop. 2.9 M) includes present MS.

Alabama (pop. 5.3 M) includes AL and the western FL panhandle.

Florida (pop. 9.6 M) includes FL without the panhandle or the Palm Beach-Miami area.

Georgia (pop. 8.7 M) includes GA and the central FL panhandle with Tallahassee.

South Carolina (pop. 4.0 M) includes present SC.

North Carolina (pop. 8.1 M) includes present NC.

Tennessee (pop. 5.7 M) includes present TN.

Kentucky (pop. 7.1 M) includes KY, southern IL, southern IN, and southern WV.

Virginia (pop. 6.0 M) includes VA except for the DC suburbs and adds the eastern shore of MD and southern DE.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2004, 12:31:57 AM »

One last state to make 50.

In the nation of the Islands:

Everglades (pop. 5.1 M) includes Palm Beach, Miami and south through the Keys.

When I can get it on a server, the map will appear.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2004, 02:14:15 PM »

What would the gerrymandering look like if you could only move whole congressional districts...

i.e. adding ID2 to Utah
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2004, 05:52:25 PM »

The map:

The table with population and apportioned seats is at

http://niuhep.physics.niu.edu/~fortner/maps/9-nation-states.htm
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2004, 06:05:28 PM »

Interesting map.. any estimates as to how many Republicans and Democrats there'd be in the Senate this way?  
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2004, 06:31:31 PM »

Interesting map.. any estimates as to how many Republicans and Democrats there'd be in the Senate this way?  
The Senate would be hard to predict since many states have Senators that can appeal to the residents despite the party affiliation (eg. Daschle in SD). House seats tend to be a better measure of true political sense. The EC is often the clearest since voters are judging national candidates by their local standards. I haven't gone in detail but my guess is that the 2000 election would have still been won by Bush but with a more comfortable margin.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2004, 01:25:36 PM »

Guys...you have to lump Philly and NYC in the same state!
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2004, 03:58:01 PM »

Guys...you have to lump Philly and NYC in the same state!
Not if I want to avoid states that are either too large or too small in population.  The South Jersey, North Delaware and Philly combination was a much better fit in terms of size and geography. NYC metro was easily big enough to support 2 states; the East River made a natural dividing line.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2004, 10:58:16 AM »

I'll probably be killed for asking this, but does anyone want to guess-timate what the EC would have been like in 2000 with the states looking like this?  Or where the 2004 election might stand?

Thanks in advance for anyone brave, patient, and data-oriented enough to take this on.   :-)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2004, 04:59:19 PM »

I'll probably be killed for asking this, but does anyone want to guess-timate what the EC would have been like in 2000 with the states looking like this?  Or where the 2004 election might stand?

Thanks in advance for anyone brave, patient, and data-oriented enough to take this on.   :-)

For my map I would estimate Bush 278, Gore 258. I haven't done the detailed county addition, but most new states are pretty clear. I made rough estimates for San Joaquin, Lower Rio Grande, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Winnebago. They all have balances of cities and rural areas that make them close.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies