SB 118-45: Fixing Mayotte Resolution - Passed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:34:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 118-45: Fixing Mayotte Resolution - Passed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 118-45: Fixing Mayotte Resolution - Passed  (Read 798 times)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2023, 09:24:02 PM »

Mayotte voted to remain French by referendum. There is no justification for this and it will create a pointless diplomatic incident. I find it ridiculous that this vote is close at all.

Relations with a Le Pen-led France are going to be awful anyways, I can guess relations were already bad. And it's imo the right thing to do and in this TL we have more leverage.

-> Secondly, France has no claim on this island imo. If french people have settled the island and are getting rid of foreigners, it's of course going to vote to remain with France. It's really another Falklands-story.

Aside of that, i did not expect this to pass at all.
Calling it a Falklands story really doesn't make your side more sympathetic, especially considering that there was no native population to displace from there. Besides that, it shouldn't be our place to decide this, regardless of the history of ethnic makeup of the island (which you evidently don't know much about).
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2023, 01:26:23 AM »

Mayotte voted to remain French by referendum. There is no justification for this and it will create a pointless diplomatic incident. I find it ridiculous that this vote is close at all.

Relations with a Le Pen-led France are going to be awful anyways, I can guess relations were already bad. And it's imo the right thing to do and in this TL we have more leverage.

-> Secondly, France has no claim on this island imo. If french people have settled the island and are getting rid of foreigners, it's of course going to vote to remain with France. It's really another Falklands-story.

Oh trust me, after the abysmal year of foreign policy we just had there is very little we can claim in the matter of "leverage" over any nation in the world.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2023, 01:34:42 AM »

Well i disagree but obviously i don't think IRL this would be a smart move to do.

Well it's up to Spiral whether he wants to veto it or not. If he does, i won't question the veto.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2023, 01:42:54 AM »

Well i disagree but obviously i don't think IRL this would be a smart move to do.

Well it's up to Spiral whether he wants to veto it or not. If he does, i won't question the veto.

Since we didn't define any precise sanctions and called it a resolution, it has no effect and Spiral has no role. Essentially it's just the Senate saying "france bad". Though it may be wise to repeal this next session to avoid some nasty gm stories.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2023, 01:55:42 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2023, 02:07:54 AM by Lakigigar »

Oh i forgot about that.

Well, honestly, i think it is the "right thing" to do morally, despite what some say but I understand this isn't really something you want to bring up out of nowhere. Obviously i won't support military action to uphold this resolution. It's just a "stance" the Atlasian republic defends right now. But other than that, i don't think anyone has any interest in taking further action on this. It is okay to have different opinions.

If France has an issue with that, well yea let them have an issue with it. I don't think aside of that it'll have huge implications. There are many nations that despite disagreements can still work together on some areas.

As I say though, i did not expect this to pass at all though.

I'm not sure if we want to repeal it though. The "damage" has been done and really, the senate voted for it, and "some nasty GM stories", that's just the way of life. Sometimes you can't prevent bad things from happening. The perfect utopia doesn't exist. And it gives the GM's some content to work with as well. Diplomatic incidents happen all the time, even among allies or friends. It just happens (we've had one with Spain for instance during the Catalonia crisis and we're currently having one with Israel with ironically Spain also being strongly on our side - it happens - we aren't going to war with Israel or Spain over it).

Calling it a Falklands story really doesn't make your side more sympathetic, especially considering that there was no native population to displace from there. Besides that, it shouldn't be our place to decide this, regardless of the history of ethnic makeup of the island (which you evidently don't know much about).

I simply disagree. Remember that it only has a population of 3500 people. I really don't think the British have any business being there, and it's a remnant of colonialism. It really "geographically" at the very least belongs to a South American nation, not a European one. It also was part of the Spanish colonial empire and any South American / South Atlantic claims belong to the "colonial nations" that descended from it.

And before, someone brings up "what about?", yes it applies to all territories. That also applies to the Guyanas or Caraibas which should be an independent nation, and in those cases there is often a native population. There are many examples of that (incl. New Caledonia, perhaps even Hawaii/Guam/American Samoa etc.). I'm consistent about that. In case of New Zealand and Australia, their territories make more sense, as often they are too small to be independent (it would decrease the standards of life), and both are centered in Oceania and also a "colonial nation", so that's an exception but the condition is that native cultures should have 1. more influence, better cultural acceptance 2. have some form of self-determination (Maori, aboriginals, ... etc). Kinda like what India does with the Andaman & Nicobar islands, or constitutional recognition.

It's a complex issue, and there are many "Mayottes" and Falkland Islands" cases. And I differ from that in opinion from you & Cao (apparently not "most people", since it passed here).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies