Maryland- What Reigon? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Maryland- What Reigon? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maryland- What Reigon?  (Read 8060 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: July 17, 2004, 01:14:58 AM »

Maryland is a southern state. We are really a mix. Marylanders are weird. Some of us you run into have a southern accent like we grew up in Alabama. Others sound like they grew up in the Bronx.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 02:27:18 AM »

Maryland is a southern state. We are really a mix. Marylanders are weird. Some of us you run into have a southern accent like we grew up in Alabama. Others sound like they grew up in the Bronx.

I see at doctor at Johns Hopkins.  Some of the people have an accent similar to that of Philly, some are a Southern.  Very weird mix.

Some of the most pivotal political events in US History occured in Baltimore. The 1860 Convention. And the Convention where the Methodists split between Southern Methodists and all the rest. Their are a ton more examples.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »

Only 7 out of 24 counties went for Gore, but Gore won by 16% here. But since most people live in the Balt-DC corridor, the Democats almost always win. There are a lot from the Bronx, maybe that's why there seem to be more Yankee fans than Oriole fans.

I don't know if this has any relevance, but Maryland is in the ACC, made up mostly of Carolina schools, and not the Big East, which is made up mostly of NorthEast schools.  

In college footbal Maryland is considered a "southern" football school. They play like one too...you know...they're ..good .... Wink Smiley I would put any southern school up against any northern school anyday and bet all my money on the southern school to win the game. We take our football seriously here.

On the subject of the stars. Their is still great debate among historians as to whether the flag represents MD and KY or KY and MO. Mostly in the west it was considered MO and KY and in the eastern theatre it was considered MD and KY.  Historians still debate it..but I call the issue...tossup..you decide. Of course I believe one star does represent MD...but I have home state bias. Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 03:19:12 PM »

South of Mason-Dixon, and plenty of awesome southern history (not the same, as, oh, say, mississippi, we're much better). No offense Harry. MD's a fine state. The Eastern Shore at least.

Oh I wouldn't go that far. Maryland shares the same shame as Mississippi in many regards. MD was the last state to desegregate. (Not referring to the schools)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 04:54:05 PM »

Funny the Philly area is worthless for college football.  Our only good schools are in I-AA and they are Lehigh and Villanova.  Our lone I-A school is Penn State and they blow.  A lof of people are Notre Dame fans.

I can not name one school north of the Mason Dixon line that is worth a flip with the exception of Pittsburgh. Rutgers and Temple! Two teams to be proud of!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 05:52:23 PM »

Penn State is in the wrong conference. They are totally being dominated there. They need to be in the Big lEast. The Big lEast is rebuilding now that they lost Miami and VT.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »

Guess what guys..you know what the ACC stands for?

All Criminal Conference......... Cheesy
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 08:05:35 PM »

Penn State is in the wrong conference. They are totally being dominated there. They need to be in the Big lEast. The Big lEast is rebuilding now that they lost Miami and VT.

The Big LEAST is TOAST! Penn State would be foolish to jump to a LOSER!

In football, they are toast. In basketball, look out.

I hope my Hokies beat your Terps this year! Terps are going down!!!! Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 06:28:06 AM »

In basketball yes. Football no. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:12:22 AM »

Depends on what part.  Southeast of DC and the Eastern Shore, most definitely yes.  It's main population centers.. no.

I'd add a third piece of the puzzle. The western panhandle is much more like northern WV and southwest PA.

Definitely -- western Maryland is actually very nice, especially Washington County -- some nice lakes/hiking trails up there.

Ever been to Accident?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies