NY-03 Special Election Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:20:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-03 Special Election Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33
Author Topic: NY-03 Special Election Megathread  (Read 22090 times)
oldtimer
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: February 14, 2024, 01:36:08 AM »

What did the polls suggest this would be?

Suozzi by 3-4 was the final polling average.

Never going to happen for a variety of reasons, but they should have changed their voting weights once the snowstorm was forecasted.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #701 on: February 14, 2024, 01:38:55 AM »

I think the last three were +1, +4, +4 Suozzi, but the narrative the media pretty much invented based wholly on republican vibes was that there was some silent undercurrent of republican voters (since when have these people ever been silent lol) very angry over the migration crisis that were going to turn out and carry the republican over the line. Turns out more indies and dems were mad about republicans playing games with the border bill they asked for. Go figure.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #702 on: February 14, 2024, 01:43:06 AM »

Whatever conclusions that are positive for Democrats that can be drawn, all those narratives will all be moot the next time, probably tomorrow, we get a poll with Trump leading somewhere.

No matter what, Democrats have yet again been victorious in an election, more so than polling suggests. And no matter what you can blame to excuse it (candidate quality, the weather, turnout, etc.) the point stands that the Republican Party is more often than not being out-organized and failing to get its voters out. Not only that, but they're handing Democrats opportunities to counter the rhetoric they keep wanting to force by doing stupid s*** like overturning Roe V. Wade and refusing the most conservative border bill they could possibly ever get.

Anyway, at least we're going to be able to watch TV again without constant Pilip-Suozzi ads. Well, until November. Though surely Suozzi is the favorite in the next incarnation of NY-3.

Before and after the special election:

"Pilip ? Who's Pilip ? I deny any knowledge of a Pilip."

She dissappears back on to the street that the GOP picked her from.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #703 on: February 14, 2024, 01:49:29 AM »

I think the last three were +1, +4, +4 Suozzi, but the narrative the media pretty much invented based wholly on republican vibes was that there was some silent undercurrent of republican voters (since when have these people ever been silent lol) very angry over the migration crisis that were going to turn out and carry the republican over the line. Turns out more indies and dems were mad about republicans playing games with the border bill they asked for. Go figure.

Everyone's here final observation once the snowstorm was forecasted, was basically polls +5 Suozzi.

And that handicap for the GOP was correct.

Before the opinion polls I thought that Suozzi was going to win by at least 18.

Pollsters didn't do that bad, they just need to weigh their special election voters a bit better.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #704 on: February 14, 2024, 01:53:05 AM »

The last minute dooming about a GOP surge that ultimately was based on no solid evidence is an exact repeat of the 2022 election where it got so bad people were saying Fetterman was certain to loose and the Warnock was essentially DOA and O’Dea stood a chance of beating Bennett.

I was literally feeling gaslit by Election Day
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #705 on: February 14, 2024, 01:57:47 AM »

The last minute dooming about a GOP surge that ultimately was based on no solid evidence is an exact repeat of the 2022 election where it got so bad people were saying Fetterman was certain to loose and the Warnock was essentially DOA and O’Dea stood a chance of beating Bennett.

The 2023 Kentucky and Virginia elections as well. It's so frustrating it almost caused an enlightenment, especially after 2022, it's why my whole "pessimist" persona when it comes to elections is being called into question so much.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #706 on: February 14, 2024, 02:44:49 AM »

Yup, that was a solid night. My prediction wasn't that far off.

That said, I don't see much implications at all for November. The results may indicate 2024 in NY will be more like 2020 than 2022, but it's just one district with lower turnout. I think NYS as a whole will somewhat trend R this year regardless of the national outcome, though it won't be a repeat of Hochul vs. Zeldin. More like Schumer 2022 is Biden's floor.

What the results do show is that Suozzi's campaign message of getting results done while the House GOP is in dissarray may work in many sububan districts. Biden not only needs to take on Trump, his campaign should also go after the GOP's dysfunction and show the contrast to the previous congress in which Pelosi successfully governed with a slim majority. So a bit out of Truman's playbook.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #707 on: February 14, 2024, 02:50:53 AM »

In the interest of doomer accuracy, I remember almost everyone on here, including most democrats, predicting Dr. Oz was going to beat Fetterman way back at the beginning of the cycle. I remember thinking it was so odd that everyone was so bullish on his chances, as I thought he would end up coming off as an out-of-touch elitist while Fetterman would connect with his fellow midwestern dudes who wear shorts in freezing weather. The mirage of a GOP surge definitely happened in those other races, but in that particular race the dooming was present from very early on.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #708 on: February 14, 2024, 02:52:45 AM »

Related point, although I do wonder if there are any meaningful differences between CA-47's AAPI electorate and NY-03's AAPI electorate that would contribute to the former being somewhat more D. AFAIK the Non-Hispanic White voters in both districts are known for being relatively R.

One interesting thing is in Queens, Mazi is actually matching or outrunning Trumps margin in most precincts but turnout as a whole seems to favor Dems there hence making the margin bluer than 2020.

Electoral example of Simpson's paradox?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #709 on: February 14, 2024, 06:53:36 AM »

MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #710 on: February 14, 2024, 07:48:17 AM »

This sums up my feelings pretty well:

polling is clearly still broken, and the narratives that they're spawning (israel/hamas is hurting dems, dems are slipping with PoC etc) are not bearing out in actual elections.

it seems pretty clear to me that a) dems are motivated, and b) there's a big persuasion gap over 2020
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #711 on: February 14, 2024, 07:55:43 AM »

A pro-choice African American woman who says Trump isn't above the law lost and some Democrats are going to take this as evidence they don't have to dump Biden to win. Oh, and it's no surprise Muslim and South Asian voters aren't big fans of an IDF soldier. Congrats to Tom Suozzi but this means little outside the scope of this race.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #712 on: February 14, 2024, 08:01:49 AM »

A pro-choice African American woman who says Trump isn't above the law lost and some Democrats are going to take this as evidence they don't have to dump Biden to win. Oh, and it's no surprise Muslim and South Asian voters aren't big fans of an IDF soldier. Congrats to Tom Suozzi but this means little outside the scope of this race.
Imagine thinking that being Pro Palestinian would help the republican in LONG ISLAND. Come on man!
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #713 on: February 14, 2024, 08:10:03 AM »

This sums up my feelings pretty well:

polling is clearly still broken, and the narratives that they're spawning (israel/hamas is hurting dems, dems are slipping with PoC etc) are not bearing out in actual elections.

it seems pretty clear to me that a) dems are motivated, and b) there's a big persuasion gap over 2020

Voters are blaming Biden for Israel-Hamas, not downballot Democrats. At this point I think even Tester would win before Biden.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #714 on: February 14, 2024, 08:18:35 AM »

DC pundits: Here is why yesterday's election confirms the preconceived notions of me and my buddies from the Capitol Hill cocktail parties.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #715 on: February 14, 2024, 08:29:56 AM »

Inb4 the right-wing conspiracy theorists start saying Pilip was a Democratic plant.

Well she literally is a Democrat
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #716 on: February 14, 2024, 09:02:35 AM »

Looks like my 53-46% prediction was pretty close to the end result.

I don't think there are too much implication for November though, as the turnout was just median and the election only for one district. Suozzi should easily keep the seat in November nonetheless and Democrats regain some ground in other races in New York, which is key to winning back the House. I wonder whether there will be so much ticket splitting in November. I don't see it. Trump isn't Zeldin either.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #717 on: February 14, 2024, 09:08:04 AM »

Now you know how I felt ahead of election night 2020 when everyone was insisting Fitzpatrick, Wagner, Hill, Van Taylor and Rodney Davis were all in serious trouble.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #718 on: February 14, 2024, 09:14:49 AM »

One thought on why polling might have been off here: wasn't greater NYC one of the places with the most issues with the last census? Even if you conduct a poll well, if your weighting is based on bad numbers, it's going to be hard to make up for it.
GAinDC

« Reply #719 on: February 14, 2024, 09:17:21 AM »

Now you know how I felt ahead of election night 2020 when everyone was insisting Fitzpatrick, Wagner, Hill, Van Taylor and Rodney Davis were all in serious trouble.

The difference is that in 2022, there was a mountain of GOP aligned polls that pointed falsely to a red wave. That also tipped the election models and fueled the media narrative.

In 2020, I recall some chatter on social media and leaks from 'unpublished polls' that showed many suburban Republicans in trouble, but that was about it.

These days, there truly is a massive, coordinated disinformation campaign that is meant to give Republicans momentum heading into election season, and the mainstream media is still buying it.

I mean, Dems just won this seat by as much as Biden did in 2020, and we're supposed to believe Trump will gain massive ground in New York State this year?? If that was going to happen, NY-03 would be the epicenter, and last night's election results don't show that at all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #720 on: February 14, 2024, 09:20:59 AM »

This should stop people from believing Trump is gonna win it's a district that Rs won
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #721 on: February 14, 2024, 09:26:07 AM »

For those who were wondering where Dave was last night:

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #722 on: February 14, 2024, 10:27:33 AM »

Siena was off equally among areas it looks like.

Nassau: Suozzi +1 (Siena) vs Suozzi +6 (actual)
Queens: Suozzi +17 (Siena) vs Suozzi +24 (actual)

A +8 result is not too far off from a +4 poll but it given how close the race is, if polls are 4% off, that makes a huge difference. Specials are hard to model, but the polling average was off by a full 5% which is notable.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #723 on: February 14, 2024, 10:51:38 AM »

This puts the R nut maps to shame, I want 53 Seats in the US Senate, even Rassy has Biden at 38 Approvals now, no way he is at 45 like he had originally , today's standards a 303 map is 45 not 50 percentage pts Approval, but maps are blank and we can have wave insurance in the Fall
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #724 on: February 14, 2024, 10:56:54 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies