Maryland- What Reigon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Maryland- What Reigon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maryland- What Reigon?  (Read 7857 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2004, 09:06:45 PM »

It's been classified as one and as not one.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 09:34:11 PM »

Yes, it was given a star on the Confederate Flag by the CSA Government.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 09:35:47 PM »

nah. definitely not.
In fact, at a national academic team tournament in DC about a month ago, we were playing a team from Maryland and the moderator said "It's a matchup of two southern teams!"  We just laughed and said no.

On a side note, one of our alternates said the Maryland team was laughing before the game saying they could easily beat a Mississippi team.  But we were up 100-10 after the 1st quarter, and coasted to an easy victory, which made us 4-0.  It was so great Smiley
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 09:53:38 PM »

Maryland is not a southern state. It should be grouped more with NJ, DE, etc. IMHO.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 09:57:41 PM »

No
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 09:57:56 PM »

Depends on what part.  Southeast of DC and the Eastern Shore, most definitely yes.  It's main population centers.. no.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »

its is a southern state, or use to be. Now it is to liberal to be a southern state.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 10:09:08 PM »

Yes, it was given a star on the Confederate Flag by the CSA Government.
Wrong.  While there were Maryland Regiments in the CSArmy, Maryland got no star.  Besides the 11 states that succeeded in seceding (temporarily that is) the other two stars were for Kentucky and Missouri which Richmod claimed had seceeded as well.  Had the Confederacy been able to win a quick war, say by taking Washington, DC.  Maryland would have had a hard choice and may well have joined its fellow slave states in the CSA.  Another possibility would be for the state to be split as would have certainly have happened with Virginia and might have happened with Missouri.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 10:40:03 PM »

No--the majority of Marylanders live in the WDC-Balt. corridor, which is much more similar culturally and politically to the Northeast than the South.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 10:44:12 PM »

Well, Missouri and Kentucky did secede, but that's another issue.

Maryland did use to be quite Southern; it was a slave state back in the day. The citizens of Baltimore attacked the Union army as it marched South to DC in the opening weeks of the War.

But now it's like a crappy mix of NJ and Delaware.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 11:15:08 PM »

I guess it was a southern state at one time.  There was a big pro-segregation protest in Baltimore in 1954 as a result of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision.

But now it is too liberal to be a southern state.  It is really a mid-Atlantic state, like New Jersey and Delaware.

The differences between Maryland and Northern Virginia are striking, even though they are adjacent to each other.  Montgomery County, Maryland has the Rosa Parks Elementary School, while Fairfax County, Virginia has the Rebel Run and the Robery E. Lee Pike.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 01:14:58 AM »

Maryland is a southern state. We are really a mix. Marylanders are weird. Some of us you run into have a southern accent like we grew up in Alabama. Others sound like they grew up in the Bronx.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »

Maryland is a southern state. We are really a mix. Marylanders are weird. Some of us you run into have a southern accent like we grew up in Alabama. Others sound like they grew up in the Bronx.

I see at doctor at Johns Hopkins.  Some of the people have an accent similar to that of Philly, some are a Southern.  Very weird mix.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 02:27:18 AM »

I see at doctor at Johns Hopkins.  Some of the people have an accent similar to that of Philly, some are a Southern.  Very weird mix.

Some of the most pivotal political events in US History occured in Baltimore. The 1860 Convention. And the Convention where the Methodists split between Southern Methodists and all the rest. Their are a ton more examples.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004, 09:20:26 AM »

Only 7 out of 24 counties went for Gore, but Gore won by 16% here. But since most people live in the Balt-DC corridor, the Democats almost always win. There are a lot from the Bronx, maybe that's why there seem to be more Yankee fans than Oriole fans.

I don't know if this has any relevance, but Maryland is in the ACC, made up mostly of Carolina schools, and not the Big East, which is made up mostly of NorthEast schools.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »

Only 7 out of 24 counties went for Gore, but Gore won by 16% here. But since most people live in the Balt-DC corridor, the Democats almost always win. There are a lot from the Bronx, maybe that's why there seem to be more Yankee fans than Oriole fans.

I don't know if this has any relevance, but Maryland is in the ACC, made up mostly of Carolina schools, and not the Big East, which is made up mostly of NorthEast schools.  

In college footbal Maryland is considered a "southern" football school. They play like one too...you know...they're ..good .... Wink Smiley I would put any southern school up against any northern school anyday and bet all my money on the southern school to win the game. We take our football seriously here.

On the subject of the stars. Their is still great debate among historians as to whether the flag represents MD and KY or KY and MO. Mostly in the west it was considered MO and KY and in the eastern theatre it was considered MD and KY.  Historians still debate it..but I call the issue...tossup..you decide. Of course I believe one star does represent MD...but I have home state bias. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2004, 11:53:04 AM »

In case of doubt in classification, stick to the authorities...so, I usually treat as MD, DE, KY and OK as Southern, MO as Midwestern. But of course real life doesn't always fall into neat categories, and it's about as Northeastern as it's Southern.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2004, 01:17:23 PM »

In case of doubt in classification, stick to the authorities...so, I usually treat as MD, DE, KY and OK as Southern, MO as Midwestern. But of course real life doesn't always fall into neat categories, and it's about as Northeastern as it's Southern.

MD and DE fit politcally better in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic than in the South. The Patomac is the Southern boundry, not the Mason-Dixon line.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 02:20:53 PM »

South of Mason-Dixon, and plenty of awesome southern history (not the same, as, oh, say, mississippi, we're much better). No offense Harry. MD's a fine state. The Eastern Shore at least.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 02:22:23 PM »

In college footbal Maryland is considered a "southern" football school. They play like one too...you know...they're ..good .... Wink Smiley I would put any southern school up against any northern school anyday and bet all my money on the southern school to win the game. We take our football seriously here.

On the subject of the stars. Their is still great debate among historians as to whether the flag represents MD and KY or KY and MO. Mostly in the west it was considered MO and KY and in the eastern theatre it was considered MD and KY.  Historians still debate it..but I call the issue...tossup..you decide. Of course I believe one star does represent MD...but I have home state bias. Wink

Hey, we take our football seriously here, too! Smiley The Big Ten inspires quite a bit of passion.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 02:39:14 PM »

Hey, we take our football seriously here, too! Smiley The Big Ten inspires quite a bit of passion.

Yes, although not quite like the people in Alabama, South Carolina, and Mississippi do. In the Big Ten, in almost all cases except Iowa, there is a major in-state pro sports team. Not so in much of the SEC.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2004, 03:19:12 PM »

South of Mason-Dixon, and plenty of awesome southern history (not the same, as, oh, say, mississippi, we're much better). No offense Harry. MD's a fine state. The Eastern Shore at least.

Oh I wouldn't go that far. Maryland shares the same shame as Mississippi in many regards. MD was the last state to desegregate. (Not referring to the schools)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 04:49:52 PM »

Funny the Philly area is worthless for college football.  Our only good schools are in I-AA and they are Lehigh and Villanova.  Our lone I-A school is Penn State and they blow.  A lof of people are Notre Dame fans.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 04:54:05 PM »

Funny the Philly area is worthless for college football.  Our only good schools are in I-AA and they are Lehigh and Villanova.  Our lone I-A school is Penn State and they blow.  A lof of people are Notre Dame fans.

I can not name one school north of the Mason Dixon line that is worth a flip with the exception of Pittsburgh. Rutgers and Temple! Two teams to be proud of!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2004, 04:56:16 PM »

I forgot about Pitt.  Not one I care about of course.  i'm surprised were in the same state Tongue!  I hope they can afford Mark Recchi!  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies