What are gas prices where you're at?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are gas prices where you're at?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27
Author Topic: What are gas prices where you're at?  (Read 70279 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:57 AM »
« edited: November 19, 2008, 02:15:55 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Maybe they don't have it down in Maryland, but up here in Michigan, gas stations have a "cash" price and a "credit" price.  If you pay with credit card, it's normally 6-9 cents more expensive than the cash price.

In California, you have to advertise the more expensive price, or list them both, so it's too much of a pain for them to pull that BS.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2008, 02:21:56 AM »

And, assuming you pay your credit card payment monthly and you get interest paid to you monthly (like I do at my credit union), you wouldn't lose any money from a loss sof interest.

You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

Lets say you get gas on November 15, your credit card bill payment period runs from Nov 14-Dec 13 and payment is due Jan 1. If you pay for gas on credit you won't have to withdraw the money from your account until Jan 1 earning you interest on that money at the end of each month. If you instead withdraw cash on Nov 15 and pay for gas with it you will earn no interest.
Raoul
burkenelson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.87, S: -0.74

« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2008, 05:20:20 AM »

$1.85, but DFW is usually a good 20 cents cheaper than the national average.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »

And, assuming you pay your credit card payment monthly and you get interest paid to you monthly (like I do at my credit union), you wouldn't lose any money from a loss sof interest.

You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

Lets say you get gas on November 15, your credit card bill payment period runs from Nov 14-Dec 13 and payment is due Jan 1. If you pay for gas on credit you won't have to withdraw the money from your account until Jan 1 earning you interest on that money at the end of each month. If you instead withdraw cash on Nov 15 and pay for gas with it you will earn no interest.

No, I understand.  You still earn interest (on the rest of your money in your account).  You essentially save that interest for an extra month.  But if you ever close that account or close your credit card account, the interest would catch back up.  You're still earning the exact same amount of interest, except that you're losing that 50 cents or so (from taking the money out and using it on gas) whenever you get paid interest (at the end of each month for me), instead of at the end of January.  Either way, you're still taking the same amount from your bank account.  Plus, most people pay credit card bills with a check, and those accounts (normally) don't earn interest, so if you use your checking account money to pay the gas (take it out at an ATM - you'd have to use that money eventually if you used your credit card anyway), it all balances out.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »

I went to get gas to 7-Eleven tonight (usually get it elsewhere) and as I'm going to pay, the guy tells me that he had a surprise or something. He then told me that I'd be getting gas at $1.95 a gallon. I was the first person to fill up at that price at that location. This is the first time I've seen gas below $2 in PA in years.

You have to talk to a guy to buy gas?

A lot of places charge moreif you pay with credit, so I always go in and pay with cash.  I'm assuming that's why Phil does it too.

I just pay with cash most of the time.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »

it ranges from $2.29 to $2.39 for regular gas here
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »

1.85 and under outside the city (Austin).
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »

are you serious?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2008, 02:27:41 PM »

No, I understand.  You still earn interest (on the rest of your money in your account).  You essentially save that interest for an extra month.  But if you ever close that account or close your credit card account, the interest would catch back up.  You're still earning the exact same amount of interest, except that you're losing that 50 cents or so (from taking the money out and using it on gas) whenever you get paid interest (at the end of each month for me), instead of at the end of January.  Either way, you're still taking the same amount from your bank account.  Plus, most people pay credit card bills with a check, and those accounts (normally) don't earn interest, so if you use your checking account money to pay the gas (take it out at an ATM - you'd have to use that money eventually if you used your credit card anyway), it all balances out.

None of that makes an ounce of sense. You cannot earn interest at the end of a month for money that you do not have in your account. So if you withdraw money from your account and spend it on gas, you cannot earn interest on it. However, if you use credit to buy your gas, you don't have to withdraw the money until your bill comes meaning the money is still in the account at the end of the month and you earn interest on it.

Say you spend $20 on gas in my scenario. If your account is earning 1% interest, you'd be forfeiting $0.20 in interest by withdrawing the cash rather than paying with credit and delaying the withdrawal of money until the next month.

What about that is difficult to understand?

And if you have your money sitting in an account that's earning no interest, that's stupid. Sign up for an interest earning checking account. They're not exactly difficult to get.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »

None of that makes an ounce of sense. You cannot earn interest at the end of a month for money that you do not have in your account. So if you withdraw money from your account and spend it on gas, you cannot earn interest on it. However, if you use credit to buy your gas, you don't have to withdraw the money until your bill comes meaning the money is still in the account at the end of the month and you earn interest on it.

Say you spend $20 on gas in my scenario. If your account is earning 1% interest, you'd be forfeiting $0.20 in interest by withdrawing the cash rather than paying with credit and delaying the withdrawal of money until the next month.

What about that is difficult to understand?

And if you have your money sitting in an account that's earning no interest, that's stupid. Sign up for an interest earning checking account. They're not exactly difficult to get.

I said you'd earn interest on the rest of your money in your account (obviously, you'll still have money left in your account after you take some out to buy gas).

And in your scenario, you forfeit that $.20 in interest later when you have to pay your credit card bill the next month, but in addition to losing that $.20, you already lost $.60-$.90 when you used your credit card to pay (we'll assume, to make the math easier that a gallon of gas is $2, so you bought 10 gallons, so the higher gas price means you pay anywhere from $.60-$.90).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »

I paid $2.29 here in Winston-Salem, NC this weekend.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »

I said you'd earn interest on the rest of your money in your account (obviously, you'll still have money left in your account after you take some out to buy gas).

Duh. What part of that was ever up for debate?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No. God No. You do not forfeit the interest you earn when you pay the credit card bill the next month. You are merely $0.20 richer when it comes time to pay your credit card bill.

You also lose any cash back you earn by using your credit card. Those several percent earn you tens of cents per $20.00.

And you've lost time going to the ATM and walking inside to pay for gas.

I earn 1.5% interest compounded monthly on my checking account. It's been as high as 3.5% which would make the loss of interest much worse. Every time I would fill up using cash I'd lose $0.30 interest on the $20.00 it takes me to fill-up. Prior to filling up I'd use several minutes withdrawing money from the ATM (plus ATM fees if your card charges them, mine doesn't) and I'd use several minutes standing in line at the register inside to pay (for every empty store there's a Sheetz with ten people buying food in line). In addition, if I want to track spending on gas or gas mileage, I have to save receipts, fudge my math on the amount of gas I use, and generally waste time doing something that my credit card company is more than happy to track for me. Those minutes can be turned into time at work, time sleeping, time enjoying myself, time studying, etc. All things that earn me money directly or indirectly.

So, they question is whether interest+cash back+more time=$0.60-$0.90. I find it unlikely it doesn't currently, and it certainly will when gas gets more expensive as your savings by using cash will stay the same and the amount of interest lost+cash back lost will increase.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #362 on: November 20, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »

Duh. What part of that was ever up for debate?

No. God No. You do not forfeit the interest you earn when you pay the credit card bill the next month. You are merely $0.20 richer when it comes time to pay your credit card bill.

You also lose any cash back you earn by using your credit card. Those several percent earn you tens of cents per $20.00.

I meant that you lose the interest that you would've earned, but just a month later.

Not everybody has cash back programs.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:45 AM »

Uh, you don't. At all. You don't lose the interest you already earned on money if you withdraw it from the account later. That's asinine.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »

$2.14 in San Francisco.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #365 on: November 20, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »

1.99 to 1.85 in the Triad area.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »

Uh, you don't. At all. You don't lose the interest you already earned on money if you withdraw it from the account later. That's asinine.

I never said you did.  I said that you'll earn less later.

Look, it's clear that you're lacking basic knowledge of family budget principles, so I'm just giving up arguing with you.
perdedor

« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

Last I looked it was around 1.93$

I'm skepticle though. It wouldn't surprise me if oil companies were going to raise prices in the early months of Obama's administration in an attempt to breed discontent. Just an idle thought however, I'll wait and see what happens.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »

Paid $1.85 at at Exxon station, have seen for cash and no name around $1.65
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »

€1.129/liter = €4.29/gallon = $5.32/gallon

Lower than it's been in an extremely long time.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #370 on: November 20, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »

Returning from central IL where the price was $1.73 to $1.77/gal.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2008, 11:45:45 PM »

The cheapest I've seen with my own eyes was $1.939 in Natick, cash only.

Otherwise, according to "Gas Buddy," the cheapest in the state right now is North Attleborough (RI border) at $1.799.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #372 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »

Today:

€0.95/l Regular Gas or €1.02/l Diesel

$4.68/g Regular Gas or $5.02/l Diesel
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #373 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »

Today:

unfair....
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #374 on: November 26, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »

Today:

unfair....

Some gas stations in Schärding, Upper Austria (just next to the Bavarian border) and St. Veit, Carinthia are selling it for 0.899€/l right now and the Diesel for 0.927€ ...

http://www.oeamtc.at/sprit
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies