!!!BREAKING: Romney will vote Democratic if Trump or Ramaswamy is the GOP Nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:18:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  !!!BREAKING: Romney will vote Democratic if Trump or Ramaswamy is the GOP Nominee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: !!!BREAKING: Romney will vote Democratic if Trump or Ramaswamy is the GOP Nominee  (Read 1338 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2023, 01:24:30 AM »

People who don't want to see America descend into an authoritarian hellscape for Biden!

People who are sad that Trump didn't pick them as Secretary of State for Biden.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2023, 01:57:07 AM »

Some credibility.Utah was a generally-contested state until Eisenhower won over the LDS hierarchy in 1952. Except for 1964 it has not voted for a Democratic nominee. Trump did badly for a Republican nominee in Utah in 2016 and 2020. Maybe it is his "lifestyle".
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 02:01:05 AM »

People who don't want to see America descend into an authoritarian hellscape for Biden!

Just look at their facial expressions in that photo. Romney looks like he hates himself and Trump looks like Satan incarnate. He literally only held that dinner to humiliate Romney, he never considered him for Secretary of State.

That's the kind of psychopath we're dealing with here. Good on Romney for recognizing that and changing his tune. I for one will always praise people for doing the right thing, regardless of what they did in the past, and think it's morally wrong and clinically insane to criticize people for changing their ways for the better.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2023, 10:37:49 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2023, 11:06:04 AM by TheTide »

I quite like Romney. He has a charming social awkwardness that one associates oneself with. However, in response to the fawning over him, I will point this out. Romney pledged to vote for Ron Paul in the (highly unlikely, as acknowledged in this video) event that the latter became the Republican nominee in 2012.

In actual practical policy terms, Ron Paul would have likely been considerably worse than Donald Trump. And, now that I think about it, he had the kind of support base that could have led to a January 6th style event.

For those unaware, Ron Paul arguably carried Romney to the 2012 nomination via his epic negative ads against multiple 'flavours of the month'. My favourite is his takedown of Newt Gingrich in the following video. Skip to 0:25 if you want to avoid Cenk Uygur's spiel:

oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2023, 11:24:07 AM »

Where's the breaking news in this ?

Romney's been voting democrat for the past 7 years.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2023, 12:35:49 PM »

The funny thing is, this all retroactively proves to the Tea Party-MAGA GOP base that they were right. They’ve always considered McCain and Romney to RINOs. Because of this, Trump was a necessary course correction.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2023, 01:17:58 PM »

Democrats on this board seem to like Romney a lot more than Manchin, which is bizarre.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2023, 01:25:34 PM »

Democrats on this board seem to like Romney a lot more than Manchin, which is bizarre.

Murkowski-Romney have been more reliable Democrats than Manchin-Sinema.

Which explains the party flips about them, even if they never officially defected.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2023, 01:26:06 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2023, 02:29:20 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

People tend to prefer the other side's perceived traitors over their own side's perceived traitors.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2023, 02:37:09 PM »

In 2012 I was still an independent. I voted for Obama, and while I certainly wanted him to win, I wasn't hugely concerned about the outcome. I believed that Romney was a competent and decent person, and although there would likely be some policies I didn't like, the country would come through his administration OK. 

That was how I -- and most people I knew -- normally felt about presidential elections in general, starting with the first one I voted in (1976). It wasn't until 2016 that I felt that the opposing candidate would truly damage the country if he won. And you know what? I was right.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2023, 04:01:05 PM »

Tbf, none of the Romney kids were caught drug price gouging like the Manchin Brat.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2023, 07:03:14 PM »

Good for him for actually willing to go this far and not cop-out about voting for Trump still because Democrats are worse or because they still think Trump won't be the nominee.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2023, 08:41:40 PM »

Completely unsurprising. Romney has always been a Kasich-level egotist.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2023, 08:44:44 PM »

Murkowski-Romney have been more reliable Democrats than Manchin-Sinema.

Which explains the party flips about them, even if they never officially defected.
Huh
Sinema has towed the party line apart from the filibuster and taxes, while Romney still mostly votes with McConnell (who tbf has also moderated) in the Senate.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2023, 09:02:46 AM »

Crazy how this response is basically indistinguishable from what you'd hear Trump or any MAGA supporter say. Do you think Mitt's votes for impeachment were simply due to anger at not being picked for the SoS role?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2023, 09:28:02 AM »

It's wild that even Mitt Romney is being much more sensible than a lot of far-leftists right now.
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2023, 01:15:05 PM »

Wait, what Romney said was that he thinks there's a number of Democrats he would vote for over Trump. Does that necessarily include Biden? It does seem likely he will vote for/endorse Biden over Trump (and I wouldn't be surprised if he secretly voted for Biden in 2020), but I did not read this as a confirmation of that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies