Should a gasoline tax be levied to subsidize/jump start the ethanol industry?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:06:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should a gasoline tax be levied to subsidize/jump start the ethanol industry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should a gasoline tax be levied to subsidize/jump start the ethanol industry?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Should a gasoline tax be levied to subsidize/jump start the ethanol industry?  (Read 3927 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:02:41 PM »

I'm not advocating either position I'm just interested in how people would feel about this.  Does not supporting such a tax automatically make you anti-ethanol?  If you advocate ethanol as a replacement for gasoline I don't see how you can vote against this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:04:14 PM »

There has not been evidence that ethanol would be a reasonable energy source. Sure, do some more research, but there's no need to subsidize anyone.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »

Yes but spread this investment among all types of alternate fuel/power sources. Also use it to pay for nuclear power.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:26:09 PM »

Taxes should be used for one purpose only: Raising general government revenue. Using them for anything else just doesn't work.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »

So you'd like to keep our current oil guzzling system and get even more fucked when Peak Oil hits(if it hasn't already hit yet)? As things stand America is pretty much a petro state(as in if the oil supply got disrupted we'd be in for BAD times for at least a decade until we retooled our energy supply/infrastructure)... Roll Eyes
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »

So you'd like to keep our current oil guzzling system and get even more fucked when Peak Oil hits(if it hasn't already hit yet)? As things stand America is pretty much a petro state(as in if the oil supply got disrupted we'd be in for BAD times for at least a decade until we retooled our energy supply/infrastructure)... Roll Eyes

Exactly. Bad times might get a true market response. For taxes to impact the gasoline market, it'd have to be one hell of a hike.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:52 PM »

Nah. I think the way corn is used for ethanol, it uses almost as much energy as simply burning gasoline. It's just an excuse for those agribusiness to reap billions in subsidies all in the name of mitigating global warming, especially when the US government essentially picks the slack for 78% of ethanol costs. Yeah right. If they're really serious about ethanol for cleaning the environment, they should abolish tariffs on imports from Brazil. At least they no longer rely on Brazilian government subsidies. Brazil has its imperfections with its ethanol industry, but it's far better than the E85 agribusiness is pushing for.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:33:44 PM »

No, I support the use of ethanol but this would hurt more than it would help.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:27:45 AM »

I don't really see the point. As far as I can tell, ethanol has precisely one advantage over gasoline: it's renewable. There are therefore two possible scenarios:

(Anticipatory Market)
1. Ethanol supercedes gasoline before major gasoline shortages happen, or
(Reactionary Market)
2. Ethanol (or something better) supercedes gasoline after a market panic.

I'm over-dramatizing a bit here. Option 2 shouldn't hurt badly, prices of gasoline will go up as a result of a little scarcity and the ethanol will start looking really appealing...

Anyway, ethanol (or something better) is going to win. We don't need taxes to ensure that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:35:18 AM »

The usage of ethanol through corn will drive up the prices of other corn based products.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:32:48 AM »

This certainly would help the energy companies make a killing if/when they switch over to non-petro fuels.

By the way, "peak oil" is being used as a scare tactic. Act before it's too late!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 07:30:53 AM »

No.  There isn't a need for an additional tax.  The government has enough money being wasted on pork that could easily be redirected to building an ethanol infrastructure.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »

Ethanol? We're not going to have one single silver bullet. Invest into hybrids, electric vehicles, hydrogen vehicles, nuclear power, public transportation AND ethanol.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 08:54:37 AM »

Ethanol? We're not going to have one single silver bullet. Invest into hybrids, electric vehicles, hydrogen vehicles, nuclear power, public transportation AND ethanol.

That's a given. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »

The usage of ethanol through corn will drive up the prices of other corn based products.

That'll include High Fructose Corn Syrup, therefore making it a good thing.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 12:04:54 PM »

i agree with jfern, and states...err...weird.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 03:01:19 PM »

That'll include High Fructose Corn Syrup, therefore making it a good thing.

Agreed.  I don't favor ethanol subsidies, but I can support a two-tiered tax on fossil fuels.  A carbon tax on fossil fuels to discourage their use, by substitution to renewable sources, and by greater energy efficiency.  I also would favor an energy-independence tax on imported fossil fuels so as discourage our dependence on them.

I'd also be mildly in favor of a mandate that utility costs for rental property be shared by both the lessor and the lessee.  That way the lessee has an incentive to reduce usage and the lessor has an incentive to install efficient appliances and other fixtures.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 05:11:04 PM »

I'll pass.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »

Ehh.........uuuuuhhhhhh..........no. Why dont we put more of a squeeze on the companies than on the drivers? Just a thought. I think this plan does two things:

Fails to correctly estimate the fact that people still have no access to ethanol and will have to pay out the ass until they do

Fails to correctly estimate the amount of pressure the public will put on the companies after this to get ethanol rolling: none.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »

No - it's not the gov't's place to do that - that would give them the right to tax PC's b/c they want us to buy Apples (only Dems would do that though Tongue).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 02:31:47 AM »

Which is pretty much everything you eat besides meat and produce.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »

The most important use of a gasoline tax is to support the transportation infrastructure, since it putsthe tax burden on those using the system. A reduced tax for those using ethanol or other less carbon-intensive fuels can encourage a growing market, but a new tax to create direct subsidies is probably not needed at this point since there is a growing market.

In the long term a new question will be how to best support transportation infrastructure if significant numbers of vehicles use technologies that avoid a gasoline tax. Should there be a mileage/weight assessment on vehicles, much like there is for trucks?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 11:44:29 AM »

The government has enough money being wasted on pork that could easily be redirected to building an ethanol infrastructure.

True, for example, the war in Iraq. In terms of fighting terrorism, we'd be far better off investing all of the money we spend on the war into alternative energy instead, as eliminating the importance of the Middle East in terms of our reliance on oil is the only true long term solution to the problem of terrorism (and oh yeah, it does have the side benefit of also reducing global warming and all that as well...).

Ethanol isn't a long term solution. It's one piece of the puzzle, but cars get worse fuel economy running on ethanol due to its lower energy content. We're better off directing the money toward hybrids, biodiesel, and hydrogen fuel cells.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 10:09:55 PM »

Hybrids are pretty much a joke Nym, even the car dealers themselves will admit it. You can buy small jap cars that can compete with/outdo hybrids that are using conventional combustion engines. Plus another negative is hybrids have very expensive fuel cells to replace (1500-2000$).
DuEbrithil
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »

Hybrids are pretty much a joke Nym, even the car dealers themselves will admit it. You can buy small jap cars that can compete with/outdo hybrids that are using conventional combustion engines. Plus another negative is hybrids have very expensive fuel cells to replace (1500-2000$).

you are pretty much a moron. No car dealership in the world would want to dissuade you from buying a car. there is strike #1. strike #2 is no Japanese car can get 60+ mpg. oh and strike 3 is your name is statesrights.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies