"The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:16:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  "The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: "The Marvels" on pace to be the MCU's first massive bomb  (Read 3728 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2023, 04:23:12 PM »

If the movie isn't good then so be it. The only thing that will anger me is that all the racist incel losers and the youtube troglodytes like Nerdrotic and Ryan Kinell who prey on them will never stop bragging about "go woke, go broke" and that only movies with white dudes as leads can be good and financially successful.
Who are these people

There's a certain subset of weirdos who go in with a desire not to judge movies on their merits, but on how many women are in it for example. People like TheQuartering for example.

I don't believe anyone on here is like that, but pretending that subset doesn't exist is like being a Marvel fan and pretending everything's all hunky-dory.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2023, 04:40:37 PM »

If the movie isn't good then so be it. The only thing that will anger me is that all the racist incel losers and the youtube troglodytes like Nerdrotic and Ryan Kinell who prey on them will never stop bragging about "go woke, go broke" and that only movies with white dudes as leads can be good and financially successful.
Who are these people

I literally name two of them. You can add Critical Drinker, Eric July, Robot Head, That Star Wars Girl, Yellowflash, Clownfish, Ben Shapiro, etc.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »

Snow White's going to fail because it's another lazy live action remake of an animated classic that no one needs or wants.

Not just because it's a remake, Lion King 2019 made 1.6B. Beauty and the Beast 2017 made 1.3B. Snow White is actually due for a remake, it was the first Disney movie ever made and over 85 years later it would be nice to recaptivate that again.

No, Snow White is going to fail because Disney is trying to kill off its own story. Snow White is a a German fairy tale and she has "skin as white as snow". Yet, Disney is going to cast her with a Latina actress and ruin the source material just like they did with the Little Mermaid (Danish story). While the Little Mermaid was a flop, Snow White will flop worse because they are removing the dwarves part from the original story and replacing it with animals? Like wtf is Disney doing? Then they have Rachel Zegler be smug a*****e and insult the original Snow White movie in every manner possible, saying "she doesn't need a man to save her". Disney was essentially handed a layup, and took every oppurtunity to ruin it for themselves.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2023, 06:58:13 PM »

No, Snow White is going to fail because Disney is trying to kill off its own story. Snow White is a a German fairy tale and she has "skin as white as snow". Yet, Disney is going to cast her with a Latina actress and ruin the source material just like they did with the Little Mermaid (Danish story).

Rachel Zegler is half Polish.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2023, 07:06:22 PM »

No, Snow White is going to fail because Disney is trying to kill off its own story. Snow White is a a German fairy tale and she has "skin as white as snow". Yet, Disney is going to cast her with a Latina actress and ruin the source material just like they did with the Little Mermaid (Danish story).

Snow White is supposed to have very pale skin, Zegler looks tan at best, if not brown.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2023, 07:19:16 PM »

Snow White is supposed to have very pale skin, Zegler looks tan at best, if not brown.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2023, 07:42:38 PM »

If there's one thing the manosphere dudebros do seem to be right about it's that Marvel is trying to replace every single character with a young girl who acquires all the powers and knowledge with zero effort and just seems to immediately be an expert on how to utilize those powers.  And that Marvel usually drives this point home by making her smarter and better than the original superhero, often emphasized with a scene between the two where she condescendingly proves her superiority over him.  I find these scenes not just annoying but also predictable.  But I'm more annoyed that these characters often seem as little more than advertisements for TV shows.

That's the same BS these cousin-humping, mouth-breathing, racist troglodytes were saying about Rey in the Star Wars sequels, being a Mary Sue and what.
And that's why I'll ask somebody to give me a specific example of an MCU project where that happened because I can't recall.

The Force Awakens was widely popular when it came out among the fandom and people were extremely hyped up for the Last Jedi. What made people really dislike Rey and the ST in general was how much the Last Jedi utterly wrecked the storyline, lore, and failed to create any sort of coherent arc for the main characters whatsoever and then overtime people started to realize The Force Awakens helped cause a lot of the problems that were

Also the new character most of the fans were excited to see was not a while male but Finn and fans were extremely disappointed to see how his character was treated in TLJ and TROS.

The Force Awakens was, ironically, exactly what the fat gen-Xers who whined about the prequels for 15 years wanted from a Star Wars film. Light sabers, fan service, storm troopers, JJ Abrams nothingness. The Last Jedi is a trainwreck, but at least 50% of that is the fault of it being forced to follow a complete nothing movie like the Force Awakens. I am glad that people are coming around to realizing how awful it was, but there was no excuse for liking that crap from the beginning. Force Awakens' success is why we've gotten so many terrible remake/reboot sequels over the last several years.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2023, 07:47:44 PM »

It's funny to see them running away from their own story with Snow White. They're leaving behind the seven dwarfs because they don't want to employ short people. The whole romance with the prince is probably gone because that's offensive. I'm sure there'll be an epic battle scene at the end where Snow White runs around with a sword doing something stupid. I can't imagine many people wanting to see it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2023, 10:13:13 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2023, 01:03:42 PM »

Disney's Wish is getting middling reviews now as well. The company is creatively bankrupt from top to bottom. They need a mass purge of historic proportions.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2023, 02:54:37 PM »

I'm hoping we get a MovieNEX version I can watch it in 3D. The Marvel movies all have stellar 3D. I don't care if the movie's good.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2023, 07:21:01 PM »

It's good this is happening. They need to rip the band aid off and rethink how they do movies.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2023, 06:48:41 PM »

To be fair, aside from 'Barbenheimer,' 'Super Mario,' and a select few others; it's kind of been a bad year for many film studios other than Disney. Remember the hits that were 'Blue Beetle' and 'Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken?'
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2023, 10:35:33 PM »

To be fair, aside from 'Barbenheimer,' 'Super Mario,' and a select few others; it's kind of been a bad year for many film studios other than Disney. Remember the hits that were 'Blue Beetle' and 'Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken?'

No f**king way that's a real movie. Is Sidney Powell a Hollywood writer now?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2023, 10:32:19 PM »

Looks like Aquaman 2, also the sequel to a billion dollar comic book movie from a few years ago, is about to go down in flames as well. Early presales suggest it might do even WORSE than The Marvels!

LMFAO, I feel so vindicated after being told for so long that "superhero fatigue isn't real." It's real, and it's SPECTACULAR!

Basically how I feel now that capes--t is finally going the way of disco:

Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »

Go woke (oversaturate the market), go broke (make nobody care). Still bummed that this means that the odds of the Dreadnought movie being made go down from 1% to 0%.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2023, 09:43:35 AM »

I saw the movie. Terrible writing in all forms... big picture, scene by scene, dialogue, etc. The worst MCU movie yet. Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan / Miss Marvel was the best thing about this movie, and I wish her nothing but success in her future. She's Canadian too.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »

Looks like Aquaman 2, also the sequel to a billion dollar comic book movie from a few years ago, is about to go down in flames as well. Early presales suggest it might do even WORSE than The Marvels!

LMFAO, I feel so vindicated after being told for so long that "superhero fatigue isn't real." It's real, and it's SPECTACULAR!

I take a bit more delight in DC films flopping. The first 'Aquaman' sucked anyway-you can't keep great white sharks in an aquarium!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2023, 11:30:25 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2023, 12:17:45 AM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

The MCU has been really bad for cinema, so this is good. Hopefully this forces Disney to slow down on production.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2023, 01:23:56 AM »

You really are a bitter, angry little man.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2023, 06:39:17 AM »

It wasn't that bad I watched it, what it is it was a 2 hr movie instead of 3 that we are accustomed to, but Aqua Man is going to be a hit. The problem with the movie is length not quality and it didn't surround itself with other good movies except Napoleon.

If they released it with Aquaman it would be a hit
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »

And...another Disney bomb:

The only real hit they've had this year is Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and even that underperformed the second. And their D+ shows have always kind of flopped. Probably good since a monopoly from them would not be welcome.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2023, 05:54:07 PM »

I hope 'Inside Out 2' is good. Though I am upset about Pixar rejecting the script I submitted involving Riley going on antidepressant SSRI meds and the emotions dealing with those chemical changes in her brain leading to her seeking therapy and institutionalization. It was brilliant! Maybe Dreamworks or Illumination will buy it instead.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2023, 09:08:14 AM »

And...another Disney bomb:

The only real hit they've had this year is Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and even that underperformed the second. And their D+ shows have always kind of flopped. Probably good since a monopoly from them would not be welcome.
And Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was James Gunn's last film with Marvel before he goes and takes over the new DCU. However, I can't help but think it's too little too late for DC at this point as the superhero zeitgeist is likely past its peak.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »

Disney gets absolutely no credit for Guardians 3.

They let the woke mob bully them into firing Gunn and only brought him back after tremendous public outcry.

Then they let Gunn basically do whatever he wanted in the movie -- which included an entire monologue from Star Lord crapping on the treatment the characters received from non-Gunn directors in the Avengers/Thor movies -- and it was the only Marvel movie in years to not include Disney+ TV show crossover characters and/or multiverse arc tie-in.

You know this is true because despite Guardians 3 being by far the most profitable and well-received movie of the year, we all know Disney isn't going to give us another movie like it.  They haven't even really marketed the franchise that much since the movie came out because they know they can't make anything of this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies