Official 2023 General Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:59:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official 2023 General Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 77
Author Topic: Official 2023 General Election Results Thread  (Read 27866 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2023, 11:06:30 AM »

Philly turnout looking good so far. The question will be how *much* better than 2021 do we go.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2023, 11:33:46 AM »

Lol

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2023, 11:35:55 AM »

I mean, was there a concerted effort in Ohio to get black voters out though?

To me, a place like MS is the biggest harbinger for that today because it seems like that's the only place where there was time and energy spent *specifically* to get that demographic out - maybe VA in some places too?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2023, 11:36:57 AM »

Lol

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2023, 11:40:37 AM »

It is concerning to see Democrats skipping minority outreach in favor of resist liberal whites. I get that it's tough to argue with their post-Dobbs track record, and tonight will shed more light on that, but there's no reason to give up on minority outreach.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2023, 11:43:47 AM »

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2023, 11:48:50 AM »

I predict Reeves and Beshear win, Dems get 50/50 in the VA state house.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2023, 11:49:17 AM »

It is concerning to see Democrats skipping minority outreach in favor of resist liberal whites. I get that it's tough to argue with their post-Dobbs track record, and tonight will shed more light on that, but there's no reason to give up on minority outreach.

Where is the evidence of that happening? If anything in Ohio, I just think it's likely that those areas just have more high propensity voters. I don't think there was an effort to outreach one group over the other.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 11:51:10 AM »

Where is the evidence of that happening? If anything in Ohio, I just think it's likely that those areas just have more high propensity voters. I don't think there was an effort to outreach one group over the other.

That's certainly possible.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2023, 11:52:28 AM »

Maybe Black Democrats just aren't as pro-choice as White Democrats
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2023, 11:54:26 AM »

Youngkin has been on Fox 24/7 this week, and especially the last 24 hours.

Unsure of whether this means he seems something we don't, and is trying to make sure it happens, or he's getting more and more desperate.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 11:58:59 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2023, 12:00:16 PM »

Do we know what the turnout was in 2021 and 2022?
roxas11
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2023, 12:00:34 PM »

As an African American, I myself can't think of 1 time any of my family or friends have voted for anything outside of the presidential elections.  I just don't get the sense that many of them know or even care about these none presidential elections

which is a shame because I would argue these local elections are far more important than even the national ones when it comes to how it directly impacts our community
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2023, 12:01:48 PM »

That's probably a factor, but you'd think they'd still be interested in voting on the issue. It's not the only thing on the ballot either.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2023, 12:04:28 PM »

At this time in 2022, there was already large scale dooming about VA turnout. Intriguing that we do not see that yet lol
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2023, 12:10:29 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, the first ever general election where both candidates are Atlas Forum posters happens today.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2023, 12:14:17 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, the first ever general election where both candidates are Atlas Forum posters happens today.

Who??
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2023, 12:14:21 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2023, 12:14:31 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2023, 12:21:21 PM by Oryxslayer »

As an African American, I myself can't think of 1 time any of my family or friends have voted for anything outside of the presidential elections.  I just don't get the sense that many of them know or even care about these none presidential elections

which is a shame because I would argue these local elections are far more important than even the national ones when it comes to how it directly impacts our community

That's probably a factor, but you'd think they'd still be interested in voting on the issue. It's not the only thing on the ballot either.

Yeah this is demonstrably true. Low income/low education voters, which in cities tend to highly correlate to race, have a hard time finding reasons or time to vote when the perceived impact is minimal.  There is a pile of past evidence from many states to this effect. You need to specifically target those groups intensely,  like in certain VA seats, to convey the necessity of voting. It doesn't help that often the districts in these regions,  both councilor and legislative, often go uncontested (I think 80% of VRA seats in MS are like this today for example).  

However varying opinions on abortion also are a factor.  Every voter has their own diverse set of beliefs, and if say 60% of the wider population supports a measure,  chances are it's the same in a minority group. Issues cross partisan and racial lines, as evidence shows. That's why Bush pushed gay marriage bans when they were popular in 2004. The thing is, the tenuous economic situation and desire for advancement in low income minority communities - as well as perceived racism - override other opinions in determining a vote for a party.

Cincinnati has many more local council districts up, and they are citywide so are actually contested.  That's the difference.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2023, 12:21:42 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »

Who??

Myself vs. this poster for a school board position. He mostly lurks, but he's around. We've talked about doing a post together when the race is over.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2023, 12:22:06 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2023, 01:53:20 PM by Voter #77 »

Black turnout often craters in off-year elections like this, nothing new. Also black voters aren't monotholically pro-choice.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2023, 12:23:39 PM »

Black turnout often craters in off-year elections like this, nothing new. Also black voters aren't monotholically pro-chocie.

I know, but you'd think with a little effort the Democrats could do better than 6% is all I am saying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies