Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:54:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 14830 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2023, 05:53:48 AM »

Message for Unity

MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE

I understand that this campaign has been quite intense so far, but we need to realize that if we want a chance in November, we all have to make compromises. We need to mend fences and come together. From my side, you will certainly see an effort to reach out to the other candidates and the eventual nominee. It's something we are obligated to do if we want to stand a chance in November. Despite the attacks we've made on each other, there's one thing we must not forget. Ultimately, all Democrats will have to collaborate to defeat the real opponent, President Nixon. That's what it all boils down to in November. That's what we need to work towards. I acknowledge that I've also been guilty of making various attacks, and I apologize for that. However, it's crucial to make it clear to the voters where everyone stands, and we must campaign on why I am the best candidate for the Democratic presidential nominee.

If I don't end up being the nominee, I will put in a tremendous effort to support the eventual Democratic nominee. I will do my utmost to do so. However, I will continue to strongly advocate for bringing the Vietnam soldiers back home. After their heroic service, they deserve to return to their families. What happens in Vietnam will ultimately have very little impact on the lives of Americans. Closer to home, issues like healthcare, the economy, housing, and education are areas where we need to focus on making improvements for other Americans. At this moment, it's evident that people want to see change, and I have demonstrated that I am committed to that change. I am the candidate who wants it, can show it, and can make it a reality, leveraging the connections needed to bring about these changes.

Regarding healthcare, I am eager to move towards a Western European model, ensuring healthcare accessibility for everyone. This will involve insuring every American, preventing healthcare costs from skyrocketing. We will take measures to control inflation and keep the economy healthy, including creating more employment opportunities. Having a job reduces the likelihood of falling below the poverty line. Decreasing poverty will, in turn, reduce street and city crime, making our country more livable and increasing the sense of security. When it comes down to it, we will all have to collaborate on these issues, and I firmly believe that I am the candidate, the only one, who can effectively put many of these measures into practice. I am also clearly electable nationwide. We need to look at who has a chance to defeat President Nixon, and I believe I am one of the best candidates in that regard. If you want to get rid of President Nixon, then logically, I am one of the best candidates to go up against him. And both the establishment and left-wing activists are likely to have little objection to me.

So, turn out and vote for me. Rally your friends, family, acknowledges, speak to people on the streets. If you want to move ahead as a nation, vote Ed!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2023, 06:35:16 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2023, 06:41:26 AM by I stand with Rashida »

Platform

Foreign Policy: Immediately withdraw our troops from Vietnam and welcome them as heroes with a national parade in Washington. Focus on diplomacy to represent and assert the interests of the United States abroad. The top priority is defending our homeland. The blockade on the communist world including Cuba must be maintained.

Healthcare: Ensure everyone is insured to lower healthcare prices. It's also a good idea to reduce the prices of medicines and make shared reimbursement for medications a reality.

Infrastructure: Despite being barely addressed by other candidates during these elections, America's infrastructure is aging, and we need to continue renovating. Building new highways, train networks would make travel faster and easier for many Americans. We should also focus on developing a flood plan, potentially building new dams and areas to store excess water without flooding inhabited areas. Additionally, waterways should be widened to increase ship transport.

Environment: The U.S. government must do more to protect wildlife and ensure that hunting and fishing remain possible for future Americans by accurately tracking wildlife populations and making more areas accessible for nature to thrive. More measures should be taken to ensure that waterways remain clean, such as installing water purification stations. Moreover, new forests should be planted. Nature is not infinite; we must continue to watch over and protect it.

Science: Recently, we achieved the feat of being the first to reach the Moon, a feat made possible in part by the late President JFK. I would like to build on this to explore sending Americans to Mars. We must continue to invest in making the rest of space and our solar system accessible. In the fields of technology and medical science, I want to allocate more resources to enable more progress for America and save more lives.

Education: Education is crucial, and we must ensure that everyone can go to school, as it is the best guarantee for a good future. For this reason, Candidate Muskie wants to make kindergarten free for every American and make elementary school very accessible. Muskie believes that kindergarten and elementary school are at their best when organized by the government. For high school and university, Muskie believes in a mix of private and public schools and wants to focus on parents' choice for quality education for their sons or daughters. Schools should also emphasize learning values, respecting each other, respecting people of different skin colors, as well as respecting authority. Muskie believes in freedom of speech and strongly disagrees with President Nixon's decision to send the National Guard to schools, which he sees as a violation of the First Amendment.

Economy: Measures must be taken to control inflation, including an increase in the interest on savings loans. We must ensure that our banks remain healthy, thus preserving our economy. Muskie will also ensure that the balance of the national budget is gradually restored without sacrificing prosperity. Efficiently managing our budget to provide the same care and needs is an essential step.

Alcohol and Drugs: A drug epidemic plagues our country. For this reason, Muskie wants to restrict various drugs, such as cocaine and heroin, with a general ban. Furthermore, he believes that America should not sell alcohol on Sundays, a day of rest for everyone. Muskie believes that every American has the right to consume alcohol but in moderation. For this reason, he wants to introduce the measure that operators may not serve alcohol to someone clearly intoxicated.

Law and Prison Care: The death penalty is immoral, so Candidate Muskie is not in favor of it. However, he respects that states can make individual decisions on this matter. Muskie believes that criminals should be incarcerated for safety and wants to increase the capacity of prisons in America to imprison more murderers and rapists.

Housing: No American should be homeless in this country. This country is one of the richest in the world, and there should be no place or tolerance for poverty, as it is often one of the reasons someone turns to crime. For this reason, Muskie wants to make housing more accessible, and for every village or municipality, Muskie wants at least 15% social housing, and in cities, 20%. This is essential to ensure that no one has to live on the streets.

Religion: America is a nation built on christian values, and as a Catholic, Muskie wants to maintain this. However, freedom of religion is vital in a country like this, protected by the First Amendment. Muskie wants to ensure that different religious communities can practice their faith and recognizes that they have a vital role in our society. Muskie also believes that elementary schools should at least weekly attend the mass.

Immigration: America is a nation built on that of immigrants. For this reason, America should open its doors to welcome labor migrants and refugees, including those from communist countries such as Cuba and Vietnam. Muskie wants to provide a place in our society for Cuban and Vietnamese refugees, allowing them to escape the wars in their homelands and to taste American freedom.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2023, 07:44:35 PM »

Statement from the Hart campaign

In the interest of preserving a united anti-war vote, Senator Hart withdraws from the New Hampshire primary and encourages his supporters to vote for Mayor John Lindsay. This movement is bigger than one man.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2023, 10:43:35 PM »

Senator Humphrey on Busing in Tallahassee

Senator Humphrey was asked by a concerned Afro-American voter in a town hall in Tallahassee Florida on his position on school busing. He responded thusly.

"Thank you sir, that's an excellent question, and it's something that is increasingly salient in our national discussion. We need to integrate education in this country, by bringing children of all races together, we will create a country in which we can all be free and happy together. This is why I support public education, this is why I support the labor movement, this is why I support our armed forces. These are all institutions that create a better society by closing the distance that exists in our society. So I have many comprehensive, long-term proposals, that I've made on the campaign trail and in the U.S. Senate, to address the question of school integration. More then anything, the federal government has to take a greater funding responsibility for education, we are seeing serious shortfalls in education, especially in areas with high black population, so I've proposed higher equalization payments. We are seeing persistent residential segregation in cities and suburbs, I've proposed measures to integrate those areas, and I think we should have a serious investigation into non-property based revenue streams for education. These are long-term solutions. I do not believe that mandatory busing is an effective long-term solution, in fact I think it could pose serious problems for achieving the long-term desegregation of education. Busing is a tool, that at times can be sparingly applied when absolutely necessary, but when it is disruptive, when it divides communities, when it distracts from the crucial task before us, I oppose it. I hope that answers your question, but if you have a follow-up, I'd be happy to take it."

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2023, 01:25:58 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2023, 03:12:18 AM by Devout Centrist »

Statement from the League of Concerned Parents
Senator Humphrey has the wrong ideas on education. Any elected official who endorses 'temporary' or 'limited' busing is trying to make the pill of permanent forced busing easier to swallow. No busing program to-date has been temporary; every court ordered busing measure lacks any kind of sunset date or phase out period. Those politicians who promote temporary busing are trying to hoodwink the American people into accepting permanent, socially engineered changes to their child's education. We urge Senator Humphrey to oppose forced busing under all circumstances.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2023, 05:17:47 AM »

Hart 1972

Rally in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

"I'm struggling tio see what's happening with this party. Everyone has become so focused on clawing everyone's eyes out and hoping that nothing sticks to them. THe personal lives of our children and families should never be fair game. I am urging all my fellow candidates to return to a campaign of policy, not one of simply trying to scorch the earth and salt it behind you.

Here in the Midwest, we do our politics differently. We like our politicians honest. We like it when they don't drag  their opponents' families into contests of policy. We like it when our represenatives say what they mean and meant what they say.

So let's return to a campaign of policy. I am never going to drag personal scandals into this for any of my opponents, and I hope we can all do the same.

Policy speech in Madison, Wisconsin

"Our cities have a high social burden, this much cannot be denied. We cannot afford to simply think that us DC politicians know best though; the best way to bring about effective policies in cities is through working with local mayors and establishing proper programmes for resolving our issues.

A big one in this country at the moment is housing. In this country, the wealthiest in the world, we should be tolerating homelessness. That is why under my plan for cutting homelessness, we will provide funding to our cities to put into major housing infrastructure, and establish a permanent grant system of up to $10 million for our largest cities.

We must also federally outlaw redlining, and in particular, aggressively target the use of discriminatory practices when it comes to housing. It's not just part of our fight to eliminate homelessness, but also in furthering civil rights. Everyone should have the right to a roof over their heads."

Town Hall in Waukesha, Wisconsin

Q: Senator, you came out as supportive of amnesty for draft dodgers. Why would you come out for this policy when you yourself are a veteran?

Hart: "That is an excellent question. A lot of people are probably thinking this, or probably why I came out for something that's not exactly going to be a vote winner.

Take a look at our forces in Vietnam at the moment. We have no clearly defined objectives. We are sending our forces out not to take a bridge or a crossroads, but are sending them out to simply find and attack the enemy. Speaking as a veteran, and one with an officer's perspective, this enemy has proven very skilled at using terrain to their advantage. We're not familiar with it, and simply try to blast our enemy out. It's not a strategy that works all the time.

The core problem is that having a majortiy-draftee force, where everyone is in and out after a short term of service, harms everyone from Private to General. No one has time to gain the experience necessary to be effective. This harms morale, operational capability, and leadership, especially when we are fighting a determined enemy that has been building this specific strategy against powers like Imperial Japan and Colonial France since the 1940s.

It's time we put this war our rear-view mirror. I support amnesty, and I support moving in the direction of an all-volunteer military."

Q: Senator, what is your drug policy?

Hart:"It's a major problem, of that there is no doubt. However, the President has been going about it all the wrong way. He tries to pull druges off the street, one by one. The problem with that is however, similar to pulling up weeds; you pull up one, another one grows.

A Hart administration would target the supply end of of supply and demand. We would crack down harder on suppliers and growers, particularly those of harder drugs. This stops them getting into the hands of people who do have a real problem, and has the effect of hitting major smuggling operations where it hurts.

We would also looking at streamlining our sentencing guidelines and making it easier to put suppliers in jail. If we target the supply end and combine it with effective treat, then demand for drugs will fall as well. I may be a liberal, but I'm not going to shrink away from the drug issue."

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2023, 08:28:59 AM »

Kennedy Campaign Strategy Memo

The Kennedy Campaign is shifting its focus to smaller, more intimate, town hall-style events where Senator Kennedy interacts directly and personally with voters. Leading up to the New Hampshire Primary, Senator Kennedy will hold town hall events, joined by Senator McIntyre, in Keene, Manchester, Derry, and Concord. Leading up to the Florida Primary, Senator Kennedy will hold town hall events, joined by Senator Bentsen, in Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, and Tallahassee. Leading up to the Mississippi Loyalist Caucus, Senator Kennedy will hold town hall events, joined again by Senator Bentsen, in Hattiesburg and Oxford.

The evening before the New Hampshire Primary, Senator Kennedy, Senator McIntyre, and Congressman O'Neill will hold a large Get Out the Vote Rally on the campus of the University of New Hampshire. Kennedy Campaign volunteers will be on site to assist students with registering to vote or planning transportation to the polls.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2023, 02:13:10 PM »

Senator Humphrey on the Debate

Senator Humphrey was participating in a meet and greet in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, when he was asked for his thoughts about the recent Democratic debate in New Hampshire.

"I was listening to it on the radio and Muriel told me I had to turn it off, and you know, she was absolutely right. We candidates need to do more to listen to the advice our wives. My God, it was the worst of politics. Screaming, shouting, and nastiness. Some of these political stunts and games are just absurd. The Democratic Party deserves better, and I won't involve myself in these kinds of personal squabbles. We need a united party to beat Nixon, and I want to beat Nixon. The voters deserve better from us Democrats. Here in Wisconsin, we're talking about jobs. President Nixon has failed the American worker, and people can tell. I think Democrats can provide a better option, I think my platform is the right alternative. We can do better than this nastiness, I'm all about joy, and I want to bring back joy to politics."

Senator Humphrey was then asked about Senator Muskie's allegation that his position on the Vietnam War is the same as President Nixon's.

"I don't know what's gotten into Old Ed. We ran on the same platform in 1968, and until this year we were getting along just fine. We respected each other as Democrats and as statesmen. My position is clear as day, the War in Vietnam is a disaster, many good Americans, including myself, put their faith in President Nixon to end this war. He has totally, and completely disappointed us. When I'm elected, we begin our withdrawal on January 21st, and we'll secure an agreement with Hanoi to get all our POWs returned home. I think everyone has had enough of this conflict which never seems to end, we need full employment in this country, we need jobs and justice. I'm here in Wisconsin to tell folks what I want to do about it. Without full employment we cannot move forward."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2023, 05:23:29 PM »

Statement from the Kennedy Campaign

Today, Campaign Manager Sargent Shriver announced two new endorsements. Former Senator Joseph S. Clark, Jr. (D-PA) has endorsed Senator Kennedy for President, while Civil Rights leader James Meredith will serve as Caucus Leader for Senator Kennedy in the Mississippi Loyalist Caucus. Mr. Shriver said the endorsement from Senator Clark shows "the wide respect that exists for Senator Kennedy. Senator Clark was, and continues to be, a fierce champion for civil rights and an opponent of the Vietnam War" while Mr. Meredith's support in the Mississippi Loyalist Caucus "proves there's only one candidate who can deliver on the civil rights reform desperately needed in the South - Senator Kennedy."

Senator Clark will appear as a surrogate for Senator Kennedy in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, while Mr. Meredith will lead the Kennedy Caucus organization in Mississippi. Senator Kennedy will appear at a town hall event in Hattiesburg, Mississippi with Mr. Meredith and Senator Bentsen prior to the Loyalist Caucus.
Carolyn
Rookie
United States

« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2023, 07:27:50 PM by Carolyn »

Vance Hartke will continue his people-first campaign throughout New Hampshire. Hoping for a post-debate bounce, his team will continue to educate voters about Vance and his pragmatic platform. In addition to a viable peace plan, his domestic agenda includes cutting taxes for businesses that invest in American jobs, curbing foreign imports, opposing mandatory busing, and supporting Amtrak. He should appeal to the anti-war crowd without alienating the center. Vance's campaign manager, Charles D. Roche, would say: "We want Manchester [an area filled ethnic, blue-collar voters; range from conservatives to moderates] and Salem [a home of Democrats moving from Massachusetts to tax-protected Southern New Hampshire; liberal in outlook]!"

The endorsements of Vietnam Veterans Against the War and the American Veterans Committee will be used to bolster his ranks with volunteers, enhance his credibility as an anti-war candidate, and raise his profile by reaching out to veterans' families. Vance's campaign is also building a mailing list to contact voters and raise funds. A move to radio and television advertising will be made when a grassroots presence is firmly established.

Vance will register in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2023, 09:44:15 PM »

Remarks at a Shanghai Banquet with Representatives of the People's Republic of China

Courtesy of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
February 27, 1972

(Shanghai)--Mr. Prime Minister, Chairman Jiang, and our Chinese and American friends,

This magnificent banquet marks the end of our stay in the People's Republic of China. We have been here a week. This was the week that changed the world.

As we look back over this week, we think of the boundless hospitality that has been extended to all of us by our Chinese friends.

We have today seen the progress of modern China. We have seen the matchless wonders of ancient China. We have seen also the beauty of the countryside, the vibrancy of a great city, Shanghai. All this we enjoyed enormously.

But what's most important was the fact that we had the opportunity to have talks with Chairman Mao, with Prime Minister Zhou Enlai, with the Foreign Minister, and other people in the government.

The Joint Communique which we have issued today summarizes the results of our talks. That communique will make headlines around the world tomorrow. But what we have said in that communique is not nearly as important as what we will do in the years ahead to build a bridge across 16,000 miles and 22 years of hostility which have divided us in the past.

And what we have said today is that we shall build that bridge. And because the Chinese people and the American people, as the Prime Minister has said, are a great people, we can build that long bridge. To do so, requires more than the letters, the words of a communique. The letters and the words are a beginning, but the actions that follow must be in the spirit which have characterized our talks.  

With Chairman Mao, with the Prime Minister, and with others with whom we have met, our talks have been characterized by frankness, by honesty, by determination, and above all by mutual respect.

Our communique indicates, as it should, some areas of difference. It also indicates some areas of agreement. To mention only one that I -- is particularly appropriate here in Shanghai is the fact that this great city over the past has on many occasions been the victim of foreign aggression and foreign occupation. And we join the Chinese people, we, the American people, in our dedication to this principle: that never again shall foreign domination, foreign occupation, be visited upon this city or any part of China or any independent country in this world.

Mr. Prime Minister,

Our two peoples tonight hold the future of the world in our hands. And as we think of that future, we are dedicated to the principle that we can build a new world -- a world of peace, a world of justice, a world of independence for all nations.

And if we succeed in working together where we can find common ground, if we can find the common ground on which we can both stand, where we can build the bridge between us and build the new world, generations in the years ahead will look back and thank us for this meeting that we have held in this past week.

And let the great Chinese people and the great American people be worthy of the hopes and ideals of the world -- for peace, and justice, and progress for all.

In that spirit, I ask all of you to join in a toast to the health of Chairman Mao, of Prime Minister Zhou Enlai, and to all of our Chinese friends here tonight, and our American friends, and to that friendship between our two peoples to which Chairman Chang has referred to so eloquently.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2023, 02:47:00 AM »

Swinging Down South

As the frontrunners continue to duke it out in preparation for the contentious New Hampshire and Florida primaries, Eugene McCarthy will continue to diligently continue his campaign of resistance to the Democratic establishment far away in Illinois. McCarthy will continue his efforts in the city of Chicago to unite the forces opposed to Mayor Daley and his policies with a great boon in the form of the support of teacher/activist Al Raby and his organization, the Coordinating Council of Community Organizations. The CCCO will make every effort to inform voters across Chicago of Senator McCarthy's strong and unwavering commitment to school desegregation, with an emphasis on the heavily Black South Side and Reformist Lakefront. In coordination, Jesse Jackson's PUSH and the CCCO will work together to provide the resources the McCarthy campaign needs to run an insurgent operation in the city of Chicago.

But his campaign would not make the mistake of zeroing in on Chicago alone. McCarthy's 68 victory in the state had also been propelled by voters in southern Illinois, particularly in college towns. McCarthy would take the time as candidates like Muskie or Yorty were more focused on winning in the upcoming New Hampshire primary to gain a foothold in these areas. The McCarthy campaign would begin mailing pamphlets across the population centers of Springfield, Champaign-Urbana and Peoria featuring images of both McCarthy and Daley and featuring the text "Tired of Being Run By Boss Daley? Make a Choice on March 21st." The campaign believes that they can make inroads in these areas by both reminding the same voters who backed McCarthy in 68 that he is still an option and by running against the graft of Chicago politics holding such a tight grip on the levers of power in the state.

The campaign will also begin to address its most pressing crisis: a lack of fundraising. The campaign believes the most potent tool they have to remedy this issue is the support of the Rad-Lib caucus. The intellectuals involved and wealthy relatives of caucus members could pay dividends for the McCarthy campaign's resources if he can successfully harness them. McCarthy will meet directly with Rad-Lib Caucus membership and request them to begin a mailer campaign asking for donations to its membership and including campaign paraphenalia which showcases the tight polling numbers in Illinois and emphasizing the importance of a win in the state for the Anti-War movement. Additionally, McCarthy will continue to lean on Mayfield's new single supporting his campaign, selling as many records as possible as a way to tap into small donations on the ground in the state.

As his campaign had already made prior arrangements in the former and now has achieved the support of the Rad-Lib Caucus in the latter, Eugene McCarthy will file to run in the Wisconsin and Massachusetts primaries.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2023, 12:13:18 PM »

Statement from Concerned Citizens for Responsible Politics
We are disappointed to learn that Senator Kennedy is refusing to answer significant questions regarding his involvement in the death of Miss Mary Jo Kopechne. We understand this is a difficult topic for Senator Kennedy to discuss, but this does not excuse his blanket dismissal of honest questions from the inquisitive citizens of New Hampshire. Specifically, our members reported to our staff that they were denied entry to five (5) separate town hall events or other meetings with the Senator over the past month. Senator Kennedy may think he can escape serious questions about that night by hiding in gyms or school houses, but the people will never forget what happened to Miss Mary Jo. We petition Senator Kennedy to be completely and fully honest about his involvement in her death. If not for us, then for Miss Mary Jo’s parents.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2023, 05:46:41 PM »

Governor Wallace takes his crusade to Mississippi and South Carolina.

Governor Wallace will begin courting voters in South Carolina and Mississippi ahead of the caucuses, which he will participate in, by aggressively hitting the stump. The Governor will make numerous campaign appearances, town halls, and rallies across the states of Florida, Mississippi, and South Carolina. The Governor will also begin airing campaign ads in these three states, which air the "Stand up for America" jingle, presenting Wallace as the leading candidate carrying the region's concerns to Washington. Meanwhile, in Florida, Congressmen Bennett and Sikes are doubling down on the Wallace agenda in their respective districts, mobilizing local voters on behalf of the Governor ahead of the state's primary.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2023, 08:39:31 PM »

Remarks upon Returning from the People's Republic of China

Courtesy of Wikimedia and the Federal Government. This image is in the public domain
February 28, 1972

(Washington)--Mr. Vice President, Members of the Congress, members of the Cabinet, members of the diplomatic corps, and ladies and gentlemen:

I want to express my very deep appreciation, and the appreciation of all of us, for this wonderfully warm welcome that you have given us and for the support that we have had on the trip that we have just completed from Americans of both political parties and all walks of life across this land.

Because of the superb efforts of the hardworking members of the press who accompanied us--they got even less sleep than I did--millions of Americans in this past week have seen more of China than I did. Consequently, tonight I would like to talk to you not about what we saw but about what we did, to sum up the results of the trip and to put it in perspective.

When I announced this trip last July, I described it as a journey for peace. In the last 30 years, Americans have in three different wars gone off by the hundreds of thousands to fight, and some to die, in Asia and in the Pacific. One of the central motives behind my journey to China was to prevent that from happening a fourth time to another generation of Americans.

As I have often said, peace means more than the mere absence of war. In a technical sense, we were at peace with the People's Republic of China before this trip, but a gulf of almost 12,000 miles and 22 years of noncommunication and hostility separated the United States of America from the 750 million people who live in the People's Republic of China, and that is one-fourth of all the people in the world.

As a result of this trip, we have started the long process of building a bridge across that gulf, and even now we have something better than the mere absence of war. Not only have we completed a week of intensive talks at the highest levels, we have set up a procedure whereby we can continue to have discussions in the future. We have demonstrated that nations with very deep and fundamental differences can learn to discuss those differences calmly, rationally, and frankly, without compromising their principles. This is the basis of a structure for peace, where we can talk about differences rather than fight about them.

The primary goal of this trip was to reestablish communication with the People's Republic of China after a generation of hostility. We achieved that goal.

Let me turn now to our joint communiqué.

"We did not bring back any written or unwritten agreements that will guarantee peace in our time. We did not bring home any magic formula which will make unnecessary the efforts of the American people to continue to maintain the strength so that we can continue to be free.

We made some necessary and important beginnings, however, in several areas. We entered into agreements to expand cultural, educational, and journalistic contacts between the Chinese and the American people. We agreed to work to begin and broaden trade between our two countries. We have agreed that the communications that have now been established between our governments will be strengthened and expanded.

Most important, we have agreed on some rules of international conduct which will reduce the risk of confrontation and war in Asia and in the Pacific.

We agreed that we are opposed to domination of the Pacific area by any one power. We agreed that international disputes should be settled without the use of the threat of force and we agreed that we are prepared to apply this principle to our mutual relations.

With respect to Taiwan, we stated our established policy that our forces overseas will be reduced gradually as tensions ease, and that our ultimate objective is to withdraw our forces as a peaceful settlement is achieved.

We have agreed that we will not negotiate the fate of other nations behind their backs, and we did not do so at Peking. There were no secret deals of any kind. We have done all this without giving up any United States commitment to any other country.

In our talks, the talks that I had with the leaders of the People's Republic and that the Secretary of State had with the office of the Government of the People's Republic in the foreign affairs area, we both realized that a bridge of understanding that spans almost 12,000 miles and 22 years of hostility can't be built in one week of discussions. But we have agreed to begin to build that bridge, recognizing that our work will require years of patient effort. We made no attempt to pretend that major differences did not exist between our two governments, because they do exist.

This communiqué was unique in honestly setting forth differences rather than trying to cover them up with diplomatic double-talk.

One of the gifts that we left behind in Hangchow was a planted sapling of the American redwood tree. As all Californians know, and as most Americans know, redwoods grow from saplings into the giants of the forest. But the process is not one of days or even years; it is a process of centuries.

Just as we hope that those saplings, those tiny saplings that we left in China, will grow one day into mighty redwoods, so we hope, too, that the seeds planted on this journey for peace will grow and prosper into a more enduring structure for peace and security in the Western Pacific.

But peace is too urgent to wait for centuries. We must seize the moment to move toward that goal now, and this is what we have done on this journey.

As I am sure you realize, it was a great experience for us to see the timeless wonders of ancient China, the changes that are being made in modern China. And one fact stands out, among many others, from my talks with the Chinese leaders: It is their total belief, their total dedication, to their system of government. That is their right, just as it is the right of any country to choose the kind of government it wants.

But as I return from this trip, just as has been the case on my return from other trips abroad which have taken me to over 80 countries, I come back to America with an even stronger faith in our system of government.

As I flew across America today, all the way from Alaska, over the Rockies, the Plains, and then on to Washington, I thought of the greatness of our country and, most of all, I thought of the freedom, the opportunity, the progress that 200 million Americans are privileged to enjoy. I realized again this is a beautiful country. And tonight my prayer and my hope is that as a result of this trip, our children will have a better chance to grow up in a peaceful world.

Thank you.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2023, 07:12:06 PM »

Remarks Made by Senator Kennedy
Made during a Question & Answer Event with Voters in Claremont, New Hampshire

Q: Did you kill Mary Jo Kopechne?

A: No. I did not kill Ms. Kopechne and I am deeply sorry that she died in that tragic accident. It is very disturbing to see so many people running for President - the highest, most noble office in the land - throwing around such hateful, charged rhetoric as to allege I am a drunken murderer. It is unbecoming of this campaign and a disservice to the American people to be running their campaigns on such vitriolic lies.

Q: How will you pay for your AmeriCare plan?

A: AmeriCare will primarily be funded through a payroll tax, paid equally by the employer and the employee, at 4% of their pre-tax income, combined with a new tax on annual incomes over $1,000,000. It is fundamentally unfair that in this country there are people dying because they cannot afford to see a doctor when they're sick at the same time we're seeing corporate profits break records. We must take steps to equalize the disparity in this country and a significant factor in that is health care. People cannot work, people cannot earn, people cannot live the American Dream if they're sick.

Q: Is there a place for Governor Wallace and his supporters in the Democratic Party of today?

A: There is no place in American politics today for men like George Wallace. He is a racist, a bigot, and a man of hate. His policies are trapped in the 1870s. He should drop out of this race, apologize to the American people, and go home - never to darken the door step of our national discourse again. If I am elected President, we will pass a new Civil Rights Act to address the de facto segregation that still exists in this country while if George Wallace is allowed anywhere near the Oval Office we'll see the Civil Rights Act of 1964 repealed and "White Only" drinking fountains return. That is his America.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2023, 08:08:24 PM »

Governor Wallace responds to Senator Kennedy:

Senator Kennedy is a dynasty princeling straight out of the 1870s himself - a Gilded Era throwback if ever I've seen one. This man has been coasting on his brother's legacy, his daddy's money, and his mommy's powerful relatives throughout his entire career. And now it's clear, in the face of other, more serious liberal candidates such as Senator Hartke and Vice President Humphrey, that Senator Kennedy is treading water....sound familiar?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2023, 08:58:28 PM »

Hours

Ad Runtime and Location: 100 seconds; will run in New Hampshire media markets from February 20 to March 7.

Ad Description: A masculine voice plays over a dark background, his cadence equal to that of a hard hitting journalist.

The following message is paid for by Citizens for Transparency and Truth in Politics.

What happened that night in Chappaquiddick? Here are the facts.

8:30 PM – Attorney Joseph Gargan hosts a party at a cottage he has rented in Chappaquiddick. The day’s regatta in Edgartown has just concluded. Senator Kennedy, his friends, his aides, and several “Boiler Room Girls” from the 1968 Robert F. Kennedy campaign for President attend the event.

11:15 PM -- Senator Kennedy reports that he left the party at this time, with Mary Jo Kopechne joining him. Miss Kopechne told no one else that she was leaving for the night with Senator Kennedy.

12:40 AM -- The exact time of the crash is unknown, but it may have been around this time. The site of the accident is 1.2 miles away from the cottage where Mr. Gargan had hosted his party. A fraction of a second before Kennedy reaches Dike bridge, he applies his brakes and loses control of the car, which launches over the southern end of the bridge, plunges nose-first into the channel, and flips over, resting on its roof.

1:30 AM -- Kennedy was able to swim free of the vehicle, but Miss Kopechne was not. Senator Kennedy reports he jumped in the water multiple times to rescue Miss Kopechne, but this cannot be objectively determined. Senator Kennedy returns to the cottage. He, Mr. Gorgan, and another attorney, Paul Markham, converse for some time before returning back to the scene of the accident.

2:30 AM – Senator Kennedy and his attorneys return to the cottage. They do not inform anyone else of the crash nor of Miss Kopechne’s whereabouts. Senator Kennedy will later swim across a 500 foot channel back to Edgartown, under cover of darkness. He returns to his hotel room and passes out. At no point does Senator Kennedy alert anyone else of the accident in Chappaquiddick.

8:00 AM – A man and a 15-year-old boy, who went fishing off Tom's Neck Point, see Senator Kennedy's submerged car in Poucha Pond and immediately notify the residents of the cottage nearest the scene, who, in turn, calls the authorities. Miss Kopechne is recovered from the Oldsmobile at 8:55 AM, 10 minutes after law enforcement arrives.

9:50 AM – After speaking with friends and his attorneys that morning, Senator Kennedy finally enters the Edgartown Police Station to report the accident to law enforcement, the first time he has spoken about the incident to anyone besides his attorneys. It has been 9 hours and 10 minutes since Mary Jo entered the waters of Chappaquiddick.

Tell the truth, Ted.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2023, 10:57:49 AM »

Excerpts from Sam Yorty press conference (Manchester, NH)

Senator Kennedy is doing a disservice to the American public by trying to shut down a grieving family with words of "disgusting." All that we did with our ad was offer a platform for the parents of Mary Jo to speak from the heart about what they have experienced and what they have felt. There was no endorsement, no donation, nothing that would be construed as some political deal. This was their one chance to express what they have been holding inside, and what would have been pried open by this campaign hoopla regardless.

It should be noted that Senator Kennedy has had multiple interviews now to explain himself. Just like the Senator, the Kopechnes deserve to be likewise heard, and I am proud to stand up for their right to do so.

My campaign will not engage in histrionics on Chappaquiddick like some, actually occurring on both sides of the debate. For all the commotion, I have never heard Senator Muskie refer to alcohol in his statements about Ted being a "murderer," so I'm rather surprised the Kennedy camp is going there. I would prefer we focus on the facts and speak to the issues affecting Americans more than anything else.

Ted is someone whom I respect for his contributions to the Democratic Party and to the nation. He has been a strong advocate on many fronts, despite where we may strongly disagree. As we approach the first primary, I would like the American people to chew on the following: Has he cleared the air? Does he represent your values? Is he the one to stand up to President Nixon and win in November? Voters will settle this all as the talk of the day continues to unfold.

I would like you folks in the media while you're here to put your attention to the very real threats we have on the ballot in New Hampshire and beyond. The team propping up Mayor Lindsay represent the worst of the anarchy, chaos, and deceit that we have spent years trying to defend against. Whether it's Chicago, New Orleans, Manchester, or Washington, we are all affected by what has been unfolding. Only this campaign has been speaking to the root of the issues, and since day one. We will continue to talk here about safety on our streets, easing the cost of living, standing up for labor, and defeating communism wherever it may pop up.

No matter what they throw at us, this campaign and this movement is laser focused on the American people. I'll see you all at the Yortymobile!
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2023, 11:38:43 AM »

TV/Radio Ad: Accountability

*video/audio plays of news footage detailing protests, strikes, disorderly conduct, criminal acts, etc.*

For far too long, leadership in Washington have failed us. They have twisted and turned, enriching themselves at the expense of you.

Above it all, they seek to avoid the hard lessons and harsh truths. They shirk from accountability, believing their words and actions never matter.

Their record is clear: It is time to face accountability.

The stakes are high this election. Vote Sam Yorty.

To be aired in New Hampshire and Illinois.

Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2023, 02:33:14 PM »

Excerpts from Sam Yorty campaign appearances

Rochester, NH:
VOTER: Mayor Yorty, I am currently undecided between you, Senator Kennedy, and Senator Muskie. Why are you the best candidate in this primary?

YORTY: Thank you for that question, ma'am. This is a very important one as we get down to the wire. With great respect to my two opponents from the Senate, they have spent much of this campaign fighting their own battles and not the battles that touch on your lives. We have vested this campaign since day one, and I believe the message is now more pertinent than ever, in addressing the rise of extremism in our party and our nation.

One piece of that is addressing the problem head on, which only I have done in this race. Another is to offer a platform of sense and substance. We will not cut our military to the bone and withdraw everywhere from the world as the radical left may desire, but we will instead invest wisely as we combat the communist threat. That also applies to home: We must do everything in our power to purge the terrorist scum who are murdering innocents and plaguing our streets. The politicians who coddle or dismiss this danger are playing with American lives, and they are not who we need running this country. On matters of the economy, I have been the longest champion in the field of labor and the dignity of work. My administration will curb the deficit and wasteful spending while directing funds to industries of growth and innovation.

Much of this has been emulated during my time in Los Angeles, where we cleaned up our streets, invested in the economy, and gave the people greater freedom after the establishment cliques ran the city for so long. We do not have to agree on all the issues, and I'm sure you have certain disagreements with me. What I have said is this campaign is reaching out to not just one type of voter, but voters across the spectrum who can agree on some fundamental concerns and dreams about the future of our nation. Compare that to some of my rivals, and the notion may seem revolutionary! This is really common sense, though. I would be honored to have your consideration and your vote. Thank you.

Berlin, NH: Just as this campaign is about all the issues, we are committed to all the voters across the great New Hampshire! We are leaving no stone unturned when it comes to addressing the areas long neglected in Washington. I look around and I see proud men and women, from the mills to the farms, who are looking for an honest shake. Well, ladies and gentlemen, you will get that with Yorty!

With the primary fast approaching, we have an opportunity to shake up the entire political system right here in New Hampshire. The radicals believe they can push and swindle their way to victory after all they have done to cause havoc in our land. I say: no more! Let us barnstorm the polls and show them how regular working Americans deserve to have a seat at the table!

Chicago, IL: I was most dismayed at the recent ruling in my home state of California regarding the death penalty. There are some sick people in this world who commit such heinous acts, even killing others, that their crimes cannot go lightly punished. I think about what would have happened if the plot here in Chicago to poison millions through the water supply succeeded. I think about the brave men and women in uniform who were shot down by those only seeking terror in the streets of New York and New Orleans.

Under a Yorty administration, we will double down on the safety and well-being of communities white and black. No child deserves to grow up fearing every day on their street. No elder deserves to be stripped of dignity and comfort in their twilight years. We will cherish our communities, and we will seek justice.

Miami, FL: Having been Mayor of Los Angeles for more than a decade, I have had the greatest relations of any Democrat running with the Latino community in all its facets. Coming here to Miami, I see the same hopes and aspirations in the Cuban community as in any other: a decent living, nurturing of the family, and wholesome values. You will have with me as President someone who builds up and pave the pathway for the American Dream we all aspire. You will also have with me a leader unapologetic in standing up to Castro, protecting Cuban refugees, and ensuring that the communist regime will not freely have its way in a deathly agenda.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »

The Yorty campaign shall file for the Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts primaries in addition to participating in the Mississippi Regular caucus.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2023, 09:14:01 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2023, 09:52:32 PM by President Spiral »

Sam Yorty Campaign Strategy: Turn 3

With momentum having certainly picked up, Mayor Yorty used the new spotlight to his advantage. New Hampshire would naturally be the highest priority, continuing to spend the decisive majority of time in the state over the month. Rather than squandering over Chappaquiddick at every turn with journalists, Yorty would matter-of-factly render judgment to the voters, then flip the ballgame and redirect focus on the threat of the Lindsay-led radicals, along with all the relevant issues the campaign has been highlighting on crime to culture to defense. The Mayor would increasingly define the narrative of the NH primary in the final days, playing to areas of strength as the other candidates fluctuate.

Though not trumpeting publicly and keeping expectations tempered, Yorty increasingly believes there is potential for a massive shock in NH through an upset victory or great overperformance at the least. With campaign organization having been fortified in the state as top priority since the beginning, Yorty is now able to unveil his machine across all corners of the state, including the sparse and neglected areas which Yorty has topped in showing up for. This month would see Yorty earn the endorsements of two of the largest statewide unions across the textile and public sectors: the Textile Workers Union and SEA/SEIU Local 1984. Encompassing such wide swathes of the local economy, Yorty is the de facto candidate of organized labor in the primary and the workers are fully mobilized against the likes of Lindsay. Advertising would also ramp up relative to the field, hammering the antiwar left for the disastrous effects of their policies and pumping up Yorty as the man of the hour: prescient in his messaging, and the only candidate who can competently forge a grand coalition to stop the radicals.

Fully taking advantage of his unique political persona and flipping perceived weaknesses on party loyalty raised by Hart, Yorty utilizes the open primary model and burnishes his appeal for organized crossover voting efforts for Republicans and independents to show up; with the radical wing ascendant, all hands are on deck for building the coalition to victory between liberals, moderates, and conservatives of all stripes. While campaigning, persuasion efforts are honed in to peel as many moderate, conservative, and even center-left voters away from Kennedy and Muskie as possible. This is done through a combination of defining the two in hard-left terms (such as racial/cultural issues in busing and other radical-friendly posturing on Vietnam) along with touching on their personal defects exhibited over the campaign trail. Yorty, in comparison, appears the much steadier hand and more accepting of a broad spectrum of Democrats. Snatching the more traditional "LBJ wing" of Kennedy supporters, recent denunciations of Wallace and other boldly liberal stances are highlighted (along with any flip-flopping on his part to appease the left flank). Muskie, with his extreme rhetoric on Kennedy the murderer, has rendered Yorty the moderate, reasonable voice on Chappaquiddick as another sticking point to benefit from whenever Kennedy is harmed by the scandal. In the final days, Yorty is also making the most explicit pitches to undecided voters for capturing the bulk, honing in on these earlier emotive themes along with the newfound media attention.

Former Governor John King, heading the statewide campaign, would use his connections to juice turnout and make further inroads with the other wavering or swing-prone blocs of voters (particularly the establishment-oriented). Another early endorser, former Senator Ernest McFarland, would stump for the Mayor to tout his credentials on defense and veterans issues for countering the claim by Senator Hartke on these terms. Further volunteers from the successful Arizona and Iowa are poured in to ensure that the Yorty campaign covers virtually every city and town for GOTV. Above everything, the sudden insurgent threat of Lindsay and his radical views--up to and including the black nationalist takeover of Ocean Hill-Brownsville--is used to fuel Yorty's own rise. Mayor Yorty would be "the candidate of Middle America" making his energetic, populist sprint across New Hampshire. This would be aided by the reliable transport of the Yortymobile.

Mississippi would be a testing ground for the Yorty potency all the way in the Deep South, seeing how far the "Wallace alternative" appeal goes against the two under regular scenarios. Yorty himself would only spend cursory visits, though volunteers make their way for extra organization and highlight the recent national attention Yorty has gotten on crime, radicalism, and anticommunism.

Much of the rest of campaigning time outside NH would be spent in Illinois. The Mayor would first barnstorm the rural, conservative plains of the state outside Chicagoland, getting the voters there organized and motivated ahead of time as Yorty also touts his humble Midwestern origins. Yorty would reach out to farming communities, local trade unions, and groups such as police officers and firefighters for outreach in these communities. Making up way to Chicago, Yorty would attempt outreach with the Mexican and Jewish populations perhaps less prone to uniform coercion by the Daley machine, not intending to steal the entire Daley uncommitted vote but rather acting in synergy with it for mutual aims against the radical faction. Yorty would also spend some notable outreach with certain white ethnics (Polish, Germans) along with messaging on moderate-to-conservative blacks in the forgotten areas of the city. Outside Chicago proper, the Mayor and his campaign spends some time rallying voters in the middle class suburbs.

Finally, there is a modest attempt at campaigning in Florida compared to the other states. Florida would see advertising campaigns quite limited at the moment, reserved for the NH and IL primaries, to wisely budget for the long term. The strategy instead would be certain publicized events with key demographics, spreading momentum through word of mouth. Besides Cubans, Mayor Yorty would do the same approach with Jewish voters in-tune with the recent Ocean Hill-Brownsville commotion, defense-minded voters through his bold anticommunist stances, and even attempts at environmentalist/conservationist posturing through the Mayor's record of successful waste management in Los Angeles.

Beyond these activities, the Yorty campaign would also take the time over the month to build a national grassroots machine for fundraising, believing there is untapped potential among Americans for the type of candidacy the Mayor is presenting. Recent attention on the campaign certainly aids in these ventures, using the interest to bolster donor bases.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2023, 12:24:22 PM »

Walter Cronkite, CBS - Interview with James Buckley

FEB. 1972

1.- Senator, what is the current state of conservatism in America? Is it on the rise or in the decline?

Conservatism is on the rise in America. I believe that conservatism embodies the values of America and the vast silent majority of Americans are conservatives, even if they don't realize that yet. I won a state that is typically of a Democratic disposition, even those part of left wing organizations organized labor, but after seeing a clear Conservative alternative, they voted for it. Conservatism means stable communities, low crime, more money in your pocket and not in some bureaucrat's one, a country which follows the Constitution and its principles,  and a country where our children's futures are better than our own. I would encourage those who agree with these ideas to join the Conservative National Committee.

2.- Why do you feel forming the CNC was necessary? Is the Republican Party as a whole too liberal for your taste?

I believe that forming the Conservative National Committee was necessary because I believe in furthering Conservative values in this nation and I think in order to do that, the Republican Party's liberal element should realize what Americans want - they want conservatism. I won in the supposed liberal stronghold of New York by running against a liberal Democrat and a pro-peace in Vietnam liberal Republican who both have more in common with each other than the beliefs of New Yorkers, who saw the bad liberal policies and they saw increasing crime, and fear for the future for their children and thus realized that they were conservatives.

3.- As viewers well know, President Nixon is facing a twin challenge by two Congressmen in New Hampshire, both from the liberal and the conservative wings of the party. Who do you support in this primary, Senator?

I remain neutral on the primary as of now. Although the President has been better than President Johnson, I have been disappointed by how he has ignored many of the desires of the American people who voted in him and want Conservative policies and by ignoring that he is playing with fire by ignoring the voices of the American people.

4.- As President Nixon leaves for China, many conservatives have expressed their distaste for this historic trip. What's your take on it?

The trip to Red China is a travesty. The Red Chinese regime is antithetical to American values and it's peoples. The Red Chinese have inspired the domestic radicals that have done many heinous acts in recent years. They have killed an untold amount of people for simply owning property, and they kill even their children, and there is no freedom and rights in China. In China, Christians are jailed and murdered for believing in Jesus Christ, just like I and millions of Americans do. I think that President Nixon should apologize to the American people for meeting with a barbaric regime that stands against American values and as a believer the beliefs of Jesus Christ.

5.- Senator, there has been some talk about Vice President Agnew lately, both in terms of his rising reputation among conservative cycles, but also as something of a liability. If President Nixon is renominated, should he dump Agnew?

I personally think that the President should drop Agnew as of now since he has done little to nil to stop the President from working to enact conservative policies. He may talk the talk but he doesn't walk the walk and do anything when President Nixon enacts some his bad policies and he should be more vocal about his opposition to some of his policies, but if he doesn't I believe that the Republican Convention should select a more conservative alternative.

6.- Finally Senator, what do you make of the current state of the Democratic Primary?

I think the Democratic Party is in a pretty sorry state personally. While I may disagree with President Nixon at times, I would vote for him over the Democratic field. As a constitutional Conservative, I am horrified at Senator Muskie for attacking the press and calling for an investigation on the press, something that goes against what the Founders's ideals. Although I do have to admit that Sam Yorty should join the Republican Party, as he would fit in there more unlike the divided and increasingly out of touch Democratic Party who is focused on infighting and futhrering liberalism.

Thank you Mr. Cronkite for having me on your show, it has been a pleasure talking to you and I hope to talk to you soon.

GRADING: Buckley, rather than rely on Firing Line, the National Review, or such other friendly places to espouse his increasingly vocal belief in conservatism, chose the grand old man of the press, Mr. Cronkite himself. In this he ensured exposure - many households in Middle America will be listening in politely at first, we'll see whether they kept listening or tuned off in disgust -, at the risk of making himself vulnerable should he stumble out of the gate.

First the good. Senator Buckley comes out storming and leaves out storming, making Liberals squirm by championing a form of conservative most people can either understand or not instantly recoil at, which makes for good politics. He also gives Muskie a good poke, at a time in which the Senator's behavior has already turned him into a good foil and villain for rank and file Republicans. By the time Cronkite's over with him, a few closet conservatives or disgruntled working class Dems can look at Buckley and go "hey, maybe he's onto something" or "hey, he's not that much of a nut, is he?". Or at least, he's no more outrageous than your average Archie Bunker.

Then the "bad", although that depends on what you think this interview was meant to do. By refusing to endorse the President, Buckley already ruffles many feathers. When he doubles down by demanding apologies for the triumphant China tour, he's not only lost the Liberal Republicans - if he ever had any attention from them - many moderate and loyal Republicans are outraged. And when he calls for Agnew to be replaced, he even loses many from his own side of the party. As we'll see later, even Ronald Reagan will feel compelled to step in and defend Agnew, who remains a conservative darling.

So, on the surface, Buckley has seemingly wasted an opportunity to further his appeal to conservative Republicans, which you can construe as a loss. On the other hand, his strong condemnation of China and dismissal of Agnew sits rather well with the "true believers", the Birchers, and such other groups. Even a few of the truly rabid conservative Dems (the Larry McDonald's of the world) go "finally someone with guts".

The interview will no do favors for the CNC in terms of growth. But it will drastically enhance the loyalty and zeal of those who are already on board.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2023, 03:36:39 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2023, 02:45:01 PM by Lumine »

New Hampshire Primaries and Mississippi Caucus

Mississippi Loyalist Caucus
Candidate   Votes (%)   Delegates
Ted Kennedy31%9
Hubert Humphrey24%7
John Lindsay20%5
George McGovern17%4
Uncommitted8%-

Mississippi Regular Caucus
George Wallace74%19
Sam Yorty26%6

New Hampshire Primary
John Lindsay27%6
Ted Kennedy24%6
Sam Yorty22%5
Vance Hartke15%3
Ed Muskie9%-
Philip Hart1%-
George McGovern1%-

New Hampshire Primary (GOP)
Richard Nixon63%12
John Ashbrook26%2
Paul McCloskey11%-

The Road to the White House

FEB. 1972 - MAR. 1972

As January gave way to February and then March rolled in, journalists noted that, contrary to the expectations of many - of a straight Muskie-Kennedy duel, if not an outright Camelot coronation -, the Democratic Party was going to be faced with a highly competitive primary, with several contenders demonstrating some degree of viability or lasting power. This was also amplified by the frenzied environment of the primary race, which for many moderate voters soon came close to resembling bedlam as wild accusations were thrown around, several campaigns rocked or disrupted by protestors, and perhaps most visible of all, the determination of most of the field to all but destroy Ted Kennedy's reputation in the most vicious way possible.

But if the Democratic establishment had started to worry and think of ways to stop the radicals, New Hampshire would not be stage for that. Quite the contrary.

KAMIKAZE RUN

The fallout from the Manchester Union Leader report was instant. Both Ted Kennedy and Ed Muskie were to suffer from extended and unyielding media pressure, drastically disrupting their campaigns by forcing them to divert much energies to dispel new allegations. For Kennedy, this meant a relentless media offensive, and a refusal to budge. It was not to clean his image, but arguably, it was to save his campaign from a free fall, further polarizing the party between those all too willing to accept any anti-Kennedy narratives, and those who felt the attack barrage either went too far or was actually closer to fabrication. And for a third group, the whole matter seemed to be rather off putting entirely, casting a negative light on both Kennedy and those hounding him at every step.

But if Kennedy stood the barrage, albeit bloodied and wounded, it was drastically different for Ed Muskie. The Senator had made a conscious decision to take his attacks to the finish line, resulting in highly controversial - but effective in riling up college audiences - offensives against Kennedy and Humphrey, all of which contributed to raising up the heat and culminating in the outrageous and open claim that Kennedy was indeed a murderer. In this, the Senator could have perhaps stomached some of the losses while dragging down his rivals, until he followed it up with the claims that the Manchester Union Leader had been compromised by Soviet agents.

In one fell swoop, Muskie confirmed the fears of those who he felt he had turned into a loose cannon, with most onlookers rapidly denouncing or openly mocking the "conspiracy theory" and comparing Muskie to George Romney in 1968, when he claimed he had been "brainwashed" on Saigon. Undoubtedly, the Muskie campaign still had much to offer, particularly as its talking points proved to be far better received by Illinois audiences. But a line had been crossed, and the subsequent fallout, debate defeat, and sustained attacks by candidates who sensed blood all conspired to ensure that it would be Muskie, and not Kennedy, who would collapse first.

ON TO DIXIE

In the meantime, a storm was brewing over the state of Mississippi. Amidst its open civil war, the state Democratic Party had seen unusual interest from several candidates, with at least six contenders choosing to contest the divided caucuses directly rather than sidestep the issue. Vice President Humphrey was the man of the moment at first, leading an unsuccessful but high-profile effort to mediate between both party wings in the state that earned him the respect and informal support - but not a formal endorsement - from Governor Bill Waller. Even as the Kennedy, Lindsay and McGovern campaigns all canvassed the Loyalist wing and found much support among local liberal groups, there were wide expectations Humphrey could well be the man to beat, a ironic turn of events compared to the usual disdain shown to him by southern party regulars.

Alas, it was just around that time that Humphrey attempted to execute a highly complicated maneuver in Florida, hoping to sidestep the highly controversial busing issue by softening his line on its long term potential. Having caught wind of it, local NAACP leader Aaron Henry was quick to denounce Humphrey for equivocating on the issue, and in the pre-caucus week plenty of "Judas!" signs could be seen being carried by black activists. In the end, the Loyalist caucus embraced Ted Kennedy, leaving Humphrey a distant second. Both Mayor Lindsay and Senator McGovern were also surprisingly effective - if with different groups of voters - giving the anti-war left presence deep in the heart of the South. In contrast, the Regular Caucus was a muted affair, providing a strong endorsement of George Wallace's "crusade" while still featuring a respectable showing - fueled by moderate conservatives - for Sam Yorty.

Arguably, being too clever may have costed Humphrey support in a relatively small caucus, but talk of the busing maneuver suddenly jolting the polls in Florida may yet provide good news for the former Vice President.

FEAR AND LOATHING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE

Thus the stage was set for the first official primary. In the last few days before the contest, the basics seem to have been established: the anti-war field was consolidating again as it did in Iowa, with Senators Hart and McGovern coming out to endorse Mayor Lindsay and providing him with tremendous momentum; Senator Muskie in decline, which turned into freefall as the word got out that the Senator had ditched the state for Illinois; a struggle for survival on behalf of Ted Kennedy, whose campaign was harassed at every turn by protestors, attack ads (particularly a brutal one from the Yorty campaign), disruption of his events, and ceaseless mention of Chappaquiddick; and a steady rise for Saigon Sam, suddenly flush with cash, whose style seemed to prove most persuasive to many Democrats increasingly worried about the party's leftward turn.

With Lindsay getting twin endorsements, and with his campaign mysterious lifted by the suddenly appearance of hundreds of volunteers, many in the media speculated about not just a potential upset, but a potential blow-out win that would transform the Mayor into the frontrunner overnight. Lindsay, however, was to be stopped dead in his tracks: in the days before the primary, the Manchester Union Leader turned its fire on the Mayor, with reports surrounding the 1969 snow storms in New York City and the alleged priorization of the wealthy by the Mayor's office doing much to harm his standing; and candidates made much of Lindsay's Republican past. Much of this may not have mattered were it not for the New Hampshire debate, in which Vance Hartke's darkhorse win gave him key momentum right on the eve of the primary and split the anti-war liberal vote.

When the smoke cleared, commentators were aghast.

Muskie had utterly collapsed to less than 10% of the vote, a crippling vote for his campaign which, save for a miracle in Illinois or Wisconsin, could end it for good. Hartke had narrowly beaten the delegate threshold with a stunning 15%, enough for a strong fourth place that would enable him, if he so wished, to fight on. Mayor Yorty had beaten expectations from the journalist crowd - which placed him closer to 15% - by breaking 22% and achieving a close third, demonstrating that there very much was an appetite for a non-left Democrat. Kennedy had ultimately endured the fusilade and survived... but had been forced to swallow a still humiliating second place. Mayor Lindsay, while failing to achieve the strong victory he seemed just on the cusp of obtaining, had still rocked the nation: New Hampshire was his.

He truly was, at least for now, man of the hour.

GOP: THE PEASANTS' REVOLT

Strictly speaking, this was to be Richard Nixon's hour. The historic trip to China, a triumphant foreign policy accomplishment both for Nixon and Kissinger - who got excellent coverage out of it - promised to be an excellent opportunity to elevate the administration, particularly in contrast to the sheer chaos within the Democratic Party. And at first, it was. The White House press corps applauded Nixon on the plane back, the main networks covered it wall to wall in a positive manner, and the President seemed to have found his biggest possible accomplishment yet as a statesman. Thus, and amidst such a historic accomplishment, having to face a primary challenge in the New Hampshire Primary by two little known congressmen appeared to be a bad joke soon to blow over.

Until it wasn't. By and large, the Chinese summit derailed Pete McCloskey's anti-war campaign, with most of the enthusiasm and support also being drained towards the multiple Democratic anti-war bids (with reports of significant crossover vote towards Hartke), further increasing the President's chances. Alas, John Ashbrook was not so be cowed so easily. Showing a degree of committment and organization not seen since the heroic Goldwater campaign in the 64' primaries, several prominent anti-Nixon conservatives banded together to "make life hell" for Nixon over the next few weeks, and on this they delivered. For every broadcast of Nixon's success in China, a member of the Nationalist "China Lobby" (like Walter Judd), prominent conservative, or Nationalist Chinese exile went on the air to denounce the President, to tell horror stories of Mao's Cultural Revolution, and to claim that Nixon was "kowtowing" to domestic terror.

The conservative grouping then took it even further, staging protests in front of the White House - rather gleefully covered by some journalists hostile to the Nixon Administration - and providing a hotline so concerned citizens could find the numbers or office direction of their congressmen to voice their disapproval with Nixon's overture to China. Although many dismissed it, a number of bewildered Republican congressmen confessed to having been sent such messages. Despite coming far short of hoped upon goals of utterly ruining the China tour - which remained popular on polling - the coordinated effort did awaken something up. Having put up with Nixon for the last four years, many disaffected or disgruntled rank and file conservatives wanted desperately to express their frustration, and the Ashbrook primary challenge revealed itself as the outlet they had been waiting for.

Although the Nixon campaign in NH proved to be extremely competent, running effective ads that greatly boosted the President in comparison to the Democratic field, and Vice President Agnew was brought in to campaign and rally against the peaceniks - further increasing his popularity among conservatives -; something was clearly won once it became clear that many activists (much of them from beyond the state) were coming onto NH to knock doors for Ashbrook. On primary night, it became clear the McCloskey challenge was done for - the congressman dropped out the next day -, but Ashbrook got a stunning 26% against Nixon's anemic 63%. As a British journalist noted, a "peasants' revolt" of the rank and file conservatives was seemingly taking place.

And this, in turn, meant that Ashbrook was now free to continue his crusade, creating the danger - should Ashbrook find a proper state - of President Nixon potentially suffering the same sort of humiliation that had already knocked out Truman and Johnson out of their primary races in 52' and 68'.

THE DEMOCRATIC AFTERMATH

With Muskie undergoing collapse, speculation has moved away from the two-person race into a potentially three or four person race, with a combination of candidates - almost always including Kennedy, Humphrey and Lindsay - mentioned. And for the first time, there is a wide belief that Mayor Lindsay has the momentum to potentially become the next frontrunner, depending on the events that take place next week. Although the Wisconsin Primary is likely to be the true graveyard for many candidates, Illinois and Florida are widely expected to have a major impact as well: in Illinois, McCarthy and Muskie all but battle for the viability of their respective bids. In Florida, Vice President Humphrey faces the challenge of demonstrating that he can take on Wallace and Kennedy, just as Kennedy and Lindsay are also put in a potentially awkward situation.

For Yorty and Hartke, who come out of New Hampshire with some momentum, decisions must be made about how to best capitalize on it. And for Hart, McGovern and Chisholm, the sheer diversity of the field and how competitive it remains means there is still time to find a launchpad... but the opportunity won't be there forever.

Stories from the Campaign Trail

NH Labor on Yorty: "Best of a really bad bunch"
"The endorsement of Mayor Yorty by some local New Hampshire unions before the primary certainly ruffled some feathers, with multiples candidates expressing surprise and even bewilderement in light of their own efforts to court labor voters. But as a local labor organizer put it, the endorsement - with conservative or working class voters seen as key to Yorty's overperformance - was seemingly more against the rest of the field than about the Mayor itself. In his words "Kennedy's too tainted, Muskie's nuts, and the more those peacenik nuts open their mouth, the less any of my rank and file want to vote for them." In his own words, promises to end Taft-Hartley seemed to fall on deaf ears on labor voters who deeply resented other talking points, particularly on issues like amnesty, busing, drug policy and other planks which have proven far more attractive to college students and the youth in general..."

Muskie to face Senate censure?
"Even though many Senate Democrats were said to have soured on Ted Kennedy back in 1971, a factor quoted to explain Kennedy's defeat against Robert Byrd for the Senate Majority Whip position, many colleagues have reacted violently to Senator Ed Muskie's increasingly vocal accusations against Kennedy, which culminated on the night of the New Hampshire debate after Muskie openly called his rival a "murderer". Although many Senators remain bitterly critical of Senator Kennedy, even for some critics it feels as if a line has been crossed, and Kennedy allies - led by endorser Lloyd Bentsen - are now talking about censure proceedings for accusing Kennedy of murder without - so they say - any evidence. If successful, Muskie could be the third Senator censured in recent years, right after Thomas Dodd (D-CT) and Joseph McCarthy (R-WI)..."

Florida to hold symbolic vote on forced busing
"Despite pleas and criticism from Governor Reubin Askew, who remains supportive of busing amidst a growing national controversy, the Florida State Legislature has stepped up plans to vote for a bill that would allow parents to keep their children at home rather than allow them to be bused to achieve racial integration of schools. Askew, a first term governor who has just completed his first year in office, has proved popular thus far, but in supporting busing he's encountered fierce opposition from Republicans and conservative Democrats alike. In the latest example of escalation, anti-busing groups have introduced a straw poll on busing to be voted upon on the day of the Florida Primary, which would ask Floridians whether they favor a U.S. Constitutional Amendment to prohibit forced busing. In response, Askew has introduced his own straw poll to be voted on the same day, asking Floridians whether they support equal opportunity in education. Candidates standing in Florida will likely be forced to take sides..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies