Which of the following should kids be allowed to wear on clothes to school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:02:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of the following should kids be allowed to wear on clothes to school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which of the following should kids be allowed to wear on clothes to school?
a swastika

an x-ed out swastika

a hammer and sickle

an x-ed out hammer and sickle

an Islamic crescent

an x-ed out Islamic crescent

a Christian cross

an x-ed out Christian cross

a Republican elephant

an x-ed out Republican elephant

a Democratic donkey

an x-ed out Democratic donkey

a confederate flag

an x-ed out confederate flag

a GLBT rainbow

an x-ed out GLBT rainbow

none

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following should kids be allowed to wear on clothes to school?  (Read 9444 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 06:59:47 AM »

Context, angus, context.

For your friend to wear a swastika is clearly appropriate, given that it's a positive symbol of his religion (I can only assume).  I would expect - or at least hope - that most people would understand this upon seeing it on him.  However, for BRTD to include this option in his poll, he was clearly talking about the 'other' meaning of the swastika symbol, which the stereotype will associate with a skin head, antisemitic epithets, etc.  And if a kid actually behaves like that, then yeah, he or she will get exactly what's coming to them.  And no, you'll have no sympathy from me.  Especially since this child is hypothetical. Wink

Joe are you a Nazi? Smiley

Uh... no?  Wtf?

The way you wrote that was kind of weird, you talked about a Nazi kid and then said he was only hypothetical with a smily that I took to mean he was real.  My bad
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

All of the positive ones and none of the negative ones. Yes, this includes allowing the swastika without the anti-swastika. If you want an anti-fascist symbol, come up with your own.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2007, 06:39:11 AM »

I voted for the None option. I hate be authoritarian when it comes to dress, but I think that any of these things could cause problems, children in school do not have the same rights as the average person on the street as far as attire. Ideally, school uniforms would be standardized. For a few reasons this would be a good idea. Firstly, we could do a great deal to end the social stigma that the poor face when it comes to their clothing, I honestly believe this is a huge problem and detracts from learning. Secondly, to ban one political statement over another seems to be inherantly biased, I cannot support such a notion. I hate the idea of increasing the scope of govt. spending, but uniforms would have to be provided free of charge (in order to have the desired effect of achiving a level field as far as status and its relation to clothing).

-J
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »

Firstly, we could do a great deal to end the social stigma that the poor face when it comes to their clothing, I honestly believe this is a huge problem and detracts from learning.

It was such a horrible problem it never came up while I was in high school!

And no, I didn't live in an extremely wealthy area.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »

Firstly, we could do a great deal to end the social stigma that the poor face when it comes to their clothing, I honestly believe this is a huge problem and detracts from learning.

It was such a horrible problem it never came up while I was in high school!

And no, I didn't live in an extremely wealthy area.

Just because you did not encounter this problem, does not mean it doesn't exist.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies