French Presidential Election; 2nd round thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:14:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Presidential Election; 2nd round thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French Presidential Election; 2nd round thread  (Read 93914 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: April 26, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »

I'm a bit of a novice in regards to French presidential politics. What areas need to come in in what percentages for each candidate to win?

Well one candidate has to get more votes than the other in the second round. In the first round the top two candidates, if no candidate has reached 50% of the vote, go onto a second round where the one who recieves the most votes wins. Not really that exotic of a system.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »

I'm going to say the floor for Royal is about 44% I would be very surpised if there was anything larger than a 55-45 victory for Sarko.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »

Huh? Please tell me who was third way in the second round? You could make a case that Bayrou was a "third way" candidate but Royal really was not "third way" economically.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:16:16 PM »

Huh? Please tell me who was third way in the second round? You could make a case that Bayrou was a "third way" candidate but Royal really was not "third way" economically.

True. On the whole she was noticably to the right of Blair (except in rhetoric, obviously).

Well socially she definitely was, some of her plans sounded quite authoritarian to me at least.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:57:56 PM »

This result is what I expected, unlike the first round (where I predicted Le Pen to beat Bayrou for third place Tongue). Check out this hilariously biased AP article. One of many gems within:

The 52-year-old former interior minister inherits a nation losing faith in itself, paralyzed by worries over globalization, bitter at American dominance and saddled with social tensions.

Wow, thank you AP and CBS News for making yourselves look completely foolish. Half the article was just talking about how pro-American Sarkozy is and the other half talked about the "Arab and African immigrants" and all that rubbish. Now I know why I get most of my news from foreigners.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies