1994 Alaska capital relocation vote, by districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:02:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  1994 Alaska capital relocation vote, by districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1994 Alaska capital relocation vote, by districts  (Read 11315 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: April 22, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »

Why does it matter so much where the capital is located that they'd try and change it six times?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »

Why does it matter so much where the capital is located that they'd try and change it six times?

Isn't Juneau supposed to be a real pain in the ass to get to even for Alaska?

So I've heard, but why does that matter?  The capital is just where the legislative body does stuff.  I don't see why it matters where it is; the only people truly concerned with it are the state politicians.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:25:23 AM »

Isn't Juneau supposed to be a real pain in the ass to get to even for Alaska?

So I've heard, but why does that matter?  The capital is just where the legislative body does stuff.  I don't see why it matters where it is; the only people truly concerned with it are the state politicians.

There are some kinds of business you pretty much have to do by going to the capital - accessing state records, observing/commenting on legislative actions.

I suppose that's a good point.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »

One plan for a road said that it would cost around 2 billion dollars, if done on the cheap. If you are actually including the fact that most major projects like that go over budget you could be looking at 3 billion or so dollars. The terrain is some of the most hostile to road construction in the world, outside of places like Greenland and Nunavut. Add that to the fact that the closest road is the Alaska Highway which is nearly 450 miles east of Juneau and you have a major construction project on your hands.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but this sounds like a job for Ted Stevens, preferably inserted as an add-on onto a piece of legislation praising kittens for being cute.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies