1994 Alaska capital relocation vote, by districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:25:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  1994 Alaska capital relocation vote, by districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1994 Alaska capital relocation vote, by districts  (Read 11311 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: April 23, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »

The reason it is such a hot issue is because people not from Anchorage really don't want to see the capital move there not only because it would further consolidate Anchorage as the only real center in Alaska but would also devastate Juneau, which would suffer greatly if the capital were to be moved.

I have friends from Juneau and they are vehemently against the move. 

I mean, should Washington move its capital to Seattle or Nevada to Las Vegas or New York to New York City or Illinois to Chicago or Florida to Miami or Texas to Houston or Wisconsin to Milwaukee or North Dakota to Fargo or South Dakota to Sioux Falls or Nebraska to Omaha or California to Los Angeles or any other state just because it's not located in the biggest city and thus easier to get to?

I think Anchoragites need to settle down a bit.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:20:48 AM »

I look at it this way:  Alaska is a vast land with a small population.  Juneau is a city of about 30,000 and is one of the largest in Alaska.  If you move the capital out of Juneau, you are removing the lifeblood of the city, and I think the negative consequences of the capital leaving Juneau would outweigh the positive consequences of having it in Anchorage.

I honestly don't know why the Alaskan government couldn't set up some sort of teleconferencing in certain towns/cities so that you could communicate with your representative.

Why not have all state records put into a database that could be accessible in Anchorage and Fairbanks and Nome so that you could access the document and print it if need be?

We live in a world connected by more than just roads and rails.  Sure, it's a pain to fly all the way to Juneau, but this "pain" could be readily reduced by implementing a few technologies.

And yes.  I am aware of how long the ferry takes (not overnight, though). I rode the ferry from Juneau to Skagway and it took about 4 hours.  The newer high speed ferries can make it in 2 and a half hours.

I just don't think it's worth it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies