Now somethng to keep me occupied until kingdom come...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:18:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Now somethng to keep me occupied until kingdom come...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Now somethng to keep me occupied until kingdom come...  (Read 1477 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »

I was thinking a few days ago how different states would be if they were ran like counties, with 5-member county commissions with no real leader. Of course this then go me to thinking how certain states would have those commissions drawn, and now I can't help myself. So here's my attempt to draw some districts for each state.

I'm keeping in mind more of a district for governor than a congressional district here, hence they might different form congressional breakdowns (although some of the 5-district states are already drawn quite nicely). Here are the rules:

1-To simplify things and be nice on myself, I'll do this Iowa style. No breaking counties unless necessary, ie county has more than one district's population, or it would be too unproportional. Also no district will have more than one county only partially in it except for extreme circumstances.

2-No gerrymandering. Though it's very hard for me to avoid this altogether Smiley

3-Keep the districts as compact as possible.

And other rules I'll use for various states.

If anyone can improve on these, go ahead.

Here's South Dakota:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »

North Dakota:

Yes, I know the county sticking out in the red district looks bad, but it's the best I could do. That is Stark County, which has about 20,000 people in it, which is fairly large by ND standards, since Burleigh (Bismarck) and Morton (Mandan, Bismarck's sister city) counties together have almost 100k population, this leaves almost no more room once that county is attached on. The only other alternative would be to draw a district through those rural counties in the southwest that have approx. 10 people apeice in them and up the western border of the state, which would make no sense for one (I doubt the 20 or so people who live on the Montana border would want to be dominated by Bismarck-Mandan), and would break my rule which is that a person driving through the state on I-94 wouldn't enter each district more than once (they'd enter the Bismarck-Mandan district twice, once at the border, and once after Stark County)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »

Wyoming:

Lack of counties required that one be split here. Basically, Green River and Rock Springs are in separate districts.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 01:47:48 AM »

Don't stop now!  Wink

More maps!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »

I'll try some later this morning after I get some errands involving my graduation done. I'd like to try Minnesota but for various reasons it'd be somewhat complicated. Maybe tonight.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »

what is the easiest way to make state maps for posting purposes?  Is there someway to do it through the atlas or do you use an image editor?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:47:50 PM »

what is the easiest way to make state maps for posting purposes?  Is there someway to do it through the atlas or do you use an image editor?

For maps of actual elections, there is a way to do through the atlas.

For ones I just make up, I use paint.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies