🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:17:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: 🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)  (Read 17472 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2023, 04:00:35 AM »

Yes, you told Indigenous people "You don't deserve a voice."

You must be so proud of the fact you consider them second class citizens.

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2023, 04:07:59 AM »

I consider them equal to the rest of the country, which is why I voted to keep equal representation for all citizens.

The media, the corporations, the big money, even a lot of conservative elites were pro-Voice, but the people stood strong for equality and rejected it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2023, 04:13:21 AM »

I consider them equal to the rest of the country, which is why I voted to keep equal representation for all citizens.

The media, the corporations, the big money, even a lot of conservative elites were pro-Voice, but the people stood strong for equality and rejected it.

What equality? There is no equality for the indigenous population. They have worse outcomes in everything because of the historic neglect they have lived under since this country began. No one wants to hear about that though, because it might cause us to take a second look at our history and think that we weren't the angels we pretend to be.

But this will not be the last we hear of this. I understand you would rather black people just shut up and stay quiet without a voice, but I doubt it will be.
Epaminondas

« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2023, 04:18:45 AM »

Reminds me of the media meltdown here in the UK after the EU referendum.

And that vote was also definitely worth it, wasn't it. No Leave voter has ever regretted their vote since.
It'll be the same here, indigenous people deserve special recognition.

At least the benefit of this is confirming again why direct democracy does not work in today's world.
Leave decisions to the pros, not the scared sheep unable to cope with the cognitive dissonance of having had bloodthirsty, looting ancestors in the past.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2023, 04:26:31 AM »

And that vote was also definitely worth it, wasn't it. No Leave voter has ever regretted their vote since.

At least the benefit of this is confirming again why direct democracy does not work in today's world.
Leave decisions to the pros, not the scared sheep unable to cope with the cognitive dissonance of having had bloodthirsty, looting ancestors in the past.

It would be inaccurate to describe early settlers as bloodthirsty-there were attempts made to rwach out peacefully before things went downhill. Hell, we only acknowledged indigenous people as people in 1967.

However, I do agree that Australian people have a great sensitivity about their history; even more than Americans. If you dare try to suggest that we committed major crimes against Indigenous people, then Sky and their drones like Shaula and Meclazine will put out a fatwa on you.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2023, 04:30:41 AM »

The 'pros' are more stupid than the 'sheep'.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2023, 04:34:44 AM »

It would be inaccurate to describe early settlers as bloodthirsty-there were attempts made to rwach out peacefully before things went downhill. Hell, we only acknowledged indigenous people as people in 1967.

However, I do agree that Australian people have a great sensitivity about their history; even more than Americans. If you dare try to suggest that we committed major crimes against Indigenous people, then Sky and their drones like Shaula and Meclazine will put out a fatwa on you.
What do you mean by "we" committed crimes against indigenous people?
My parents immigrated to Australia in the 90s LOL
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2023, 04:37:16 AM »

Irrelevant to my overall point, which is that if you try to point out the historic discrimination that Indigenous people have suffered out here, Sky News drones like yourself and Meclazine jump with whatever fresh bit of nonsense/bile you've decided to spit out. It is a fact that Australians are extremely sensitive to being shown the facts of history.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2023, 04:44:03 AM »

Irrelevant to my overall point, which is that if you try to point out the historic discrimination that Indigenous people have suffered out here, Sky News drones like yourself and Meclazine jump with whatever fresh bit of nonsense/bile you've decided to spit out. It is a fact that Australians are extremely sensitive to being shown the facts of history.
I've never even watched Sky News once in my life.

I also support the Labor Party, and I hope this referendum pushes Albo to focus on economic issues that help working people instead of cringe woke stuff to get good press in the elitist media.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2023, 04:47:45 AM »

I also support the Labor Party, and I hope this referendum pushes Albo to focus on economic issues that help working people instead of cringe woke stuff to get good press in the elitist media.

Cringe woke? Both of those words are thrown around so much they have no meaning anymore.

As I said to FuzzyBear a few days ago: your chair is woke.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2023, 04:51:56 AM »

Cringe woke? Both of those words are thrown around so much they have no meaning anymore.

As I said to FuzzyBear a few days ago: your chair is woke.
The constitution should be colorblind. Even making the constitution about race is awful.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2023, 04:53:11 AM »

I knew ABC is biased for YES, but I didn't expect the atmosphere to be bleaker than a funeral.

They're not biased. You just think they are.

They pretty clearly are, it's almost unwatchable. Reminds me of the media meltdown here in the UK after the EU referendum.

Well given how things have turned out since.....

In 2016 the UK electorate made the wrong choice, just as they did at the previous year's GE.

We should not shy away from saying it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2023, 05:58:47 AM »

I note that the basic geography of the referendum on The Voice is much the same as that on the Monarchy in 1999.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2023, 05:58:50 AM »

Results so far: 59.5% counted

59.0% No
41.0% Yes
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2023, 06:11:37 AM »

I note that the basic geography of the referendum on The Voice is much the same as that on the Monarchy in 1999.

As was postulated by Antony Green prior to the referendum. It's a very clear "social/cultural axis" divide, if you can forgive the political compass reference. In Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and Hobart it very starkly aligns with income, much as culture in those cities does. Meanwhile in Melbourne and Perth it's far less income stratified (with Melbourne having far more woke working class, and Perth far more legit rich bogans, than the other cities). But more than anything else it correlates very strongly with the combined Greens/Teal vote, which is expected yet interesting.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2023, 06:37:44 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 02:29:46 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

How bad was the ABC coverage?

Just turned it on in Perth, and it was basically.....

"We cannot move forward on this sad day. In fact, no one here has enough confidence to talk, so our report is about to end as even the cameraman wants to commit suicide. There is no future, there is no way forward for the next decade because our lefties say so."

That coverage, whilst it lasted less than 90 minutes after voting closed in WA, was like a morgue with dead people brought back to life.

Whenever we have an election, the ABC stop reporting whenever the left does not win. 2018 Scott Morrison was exactly the same. They stopped updating the website and the television coverage was simply sad.

The ABC is off the scale with their pro-Palestinian and YES bias.

My next, and more important political problem:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-14/wa-votes-indigenous-voice-to-parliament-referendum/102977172

"Polls have now closed in Western Australia, more than an hour and a half after victory was declared for the No vote nationally in the Voice to Parliament referendum."

"Tens of thousands of people across the state had yet to cast their votes when the ABC declared at 4:20pm WST the referendum had been defeated."

That just seems totally wrong.

You could line up to vote in Western Australia and the result is already finished and determined.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2023, 06:55:16 AM »

How bad was the ABC coverage?

Just turned it on in Perth, and it was basically.....

"We cannot move forward on this sad day. In fact, no one here has enough confidence to talk, so our report is about to end as the even the cameraman wants to commit suicide. There is no future, there is no way forward for the next decade because our lefties say so."

That coverage, whilst it lasted less than 90 minutes after voting closed in WA, was like a morgue with dead people brought back to life.

Whenever we have an election, they stop reporting when the left does not win.

The ABC is off the scale with their pro-Palestinian and YES bias.

This is a political problem:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-14/wa-votes-indigenous-voice-to-parliament-referendum/102977172

"Polls have now closed in Western Australia, more than an hour and a half after victory was declared for the No vote nationally in the Voice to Parliament referendum."

"Tens of thousands of people across the state had yet to cast their votes when the ABC declared at 4:20pm WST the referendum had been defeated."

That just seems totally wrong.

You could line up to vote in Western Australia and the result is already finished and determined.

You're no different from the dimwits claiming the AEC was rigging the vote. You just want the ABC to spout your viewpoints all the time like shaula does.

Reality is, you just cannot fathom that perhaps, your overton windows is so far to the right that you think anything that doesn't align 100% of the time is indicative of a left wing bias.

Then again, you're the same person who claimed that black people from Sri Lanka are not 'real refugees', so I am finding it very difficult to find anything in your views other than plain racism.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2023, 07:05:30 AM »

If anyone's interested, based on mobile teams and remote booths across the Outback, it looks like Aboriginals voted about ~70% Yes.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2023, 07:13:13 AM »

If anyone's interested, based on mobile teams and remote booths across the Outback, it looks like Aboriginals voted about ~70% Yes.

That is interesting. It certainly does seem that the vast majority of the Indigenous population disagrees with Price and Mundine.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with them now. The Coalition has no use for them anymore, so I can't see Mundine getting that Senate seat he's been craving all his life. Price, I'm not sure, but I suspect it might be a similar case if she decides to run for Lingiari again.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2023, 07:14:50 AM »

Are there exit polls (or just polls) with demographic breakdown of the vote in Australian elections? Would be really interesting to see how some demos voted.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2023, 07:17:02 AM »

Driving to the polling booth to vote in the VOICE referendum.

Voting Technique in Western Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCjGIw3Y25A
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2023, 07:20:29 AM »

Oh and another question. Are there also "reserves" in Australia for aboriginal people like there are in Canada and America?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2023, 07:24:49 AM »

Are there exit polls (or just polls) with demographic breakdown of the vote in Australian elections? Would be really interesting to see how some demos voted.

We have (reputable) exit polling, however in a few months there'll usually be some psephological papers with detailed regression demographic analyses.

Oh and another question. Are there also "reserves" in Australia for aboriginal people like there are in Canada and America?

Not anymore. Instead there is Native Title which is... complicated but basically any land that's never been used by the white man can revert to original aboriginal ownership through the courts.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2023, 07:35:07 AM »

Michael Mansell's interview (at around 3:20:00 in the ABC livestream) was just brutal.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2023, 07:52:59 AM »

Well this referendum and the New Zealand Election is a reminder that Leaders get in power mostly because voters want to get rid of their predecessors, not because they actually want their policies.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies