🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:17:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
Author Topic: 🇦🇺 Australian Indigenous Voice to Parliament Referendum (October 14th)  (Read 16954 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 15, 2023, 10:28:20 PM »

I put myself through the displeasure of watching ABC's Q&A the other week (if you don't know what that is, just stay that way)

I’ll take that as a comment (rip Tony  Cry)

and it featured SA Premier Peter  Malinauskas, who had to toe a difficult line with an angry (anti-Voice) indigenous activist essentially accusing him of genocide on the one hand, a subtle acknowledgement that his state was likely to vote No on the other hand, and remain committed to Labor policy on the third hand.  He handled the whole thing quite well, actually!

SA Labor breeds very strong leaders, it’s really impressive how consistent they’ve been over the last 50 years. And it only accentuates the incompetence of SA Libs.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2023, 12:12:15 AM »

I put myself through the displeasure of watching ABC's Q&A the other week (if you don't know what that is, just stay that way) and it featured SA Premier Peter  Malinauskas.

Thoughts and prayers with you at this difficult moment.

Sometimes life's choices can be cruel.

Stop Sending Me Emails You Genocidal Maniac

https://youtu.be/WMga8mj8zS8

She was the NO campaign's secret weapon.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2023, 03:18:35 AM »

https://www.pollbludger.net/fed2023ref/Results/HR.htm?s=Wills

Captures vote by electorate
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2023, 10:18:00 AM »

Just for the sake of interest, a map of the swing from the 1999 Republic referendum to the Voice.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #304 on: October 16, 2023, 02:13:48 PM »

I suppose a side effect of this defeat might be no referendum on the monarchy being held for another decade (or even longer). At least Albanese will have little appetite to risk another failed constitutional reform attempt during his premiership.

I was also thinking about this, as well.

Though I'm curious - was there an expectation for the Labor gov't to introduce a new monarchy referendum? Or was that more of a hope among people who want the monarchy to be abolished in Australia?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #305 on: October 16, 2023, 02:19:20 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2023, 02:38:04 PM by LabourJersey »

Reminds me of the media meltdown here in the UK after the EU referendum.

And that vote was also definitely worth it, wasn't it. No Leave voter has ever regretted their vote since.
It'll be the same here, indigenous people deserve special recognition.

At least the benefit of this is confirming again why direct democracy does not work in today's world.
Leave decisions to the pros, not the scared sheep unable to cope with the cognitive dissonance of having had bloodthirsty, looting ancestors in the past.

It would be inaccurate to describe early settlers as bloodthirsty-there were attempts made to rwach out peacefully before things went downhill. Hell, we only acknowledged indigenous people as people in 1967.

However, I do agree that Australian people have a great sensitivity about their history; even more than Americans. If you dare try to suggest that we committed major crimes against Indigenous people, then Sky and their drones like Shaula and Meclazine will put out a fatwa on you.
Even a lot of American conservatives will basically agree with the premise that the United States government committed terrible crimes against Native Americans. Why do Australia and Canada seem to have so much more anti-indigenous racism?

I wonder about this.

Though, on the other hand, it seems that discussion about indigenous people in Canada & Australia comes up a lot more than stories about Native Americans come up in my American news consumption, even though proportionally our population that are natives in this country isn't much lower than Canada's or Australia's indigenous population.

That could be more of a product of my East Coast location or bias, however.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #306 on: October 16, 2023, 02:20:28 PM »

I was also thinking about this, as well.

Though I'm curious - was there an expectation for the Labor gov't to introduce a new monarchy referendum? Or was that more of a hope among people who want the monarchy to be abolished in Australia?
Albanese appointed a ‘Minister for the Republic’ and its Labor policy to abolish the monarchy so theoretically they could do so. However, he’s already said it won’t happen in his first term and you have to wonder if the government really wants to spend months and months arguing over a model followed by more trying to get it over the line.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2023, 05:47:03 AM »

Albanese had mentioned possibly holding a republican referendum in his second term, but the failure of the voice makes that unlikely now
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2023, 07:43:46 PM »

The teal seats voting Yes shows how bad of a fit the Liberals are for them. On the other hand, most seats look like a bad fit for Labor on that logic lol. It is interesting though to see which Labor seats had disproportionately high No votes. A lot of these were less-educated, working-class outer suburbia-the kind of places that have been more marginal in the two ScoMo elections. It looks like the Coalition path will run through there, rather than through well-educated suburbia-which is hardly surpirising but it is nice to have more useful data points.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2023, 10:06:35 PM »

The teal seats voting Yes shows how bad of a fit the Liberals are for them. On the other hand, most seats look like a bad fit for Labor on that logic lol. It is interesting though to see which Labor seats had disproportionately high No votes. A lot of these were less-educated, working-class outer suburbia-the kind of places that have been more marginal in the two ScoMo elections. It looks like the Coalition path will run through there, rather than through well-educated suburbia-which is hardly surpirising but it is nice to have more useful data points.

The margins for those seats aren’t there yet, it will take a two election cycle which would be a good plan for the libs tbh
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2023, 10:30:27 PM »

The margins for those seats aren’t there yet, it will take a two election cycle which would be a good plan for the libs tbh

Big swings are certainly possible (and enough are already marginal to hurt Labor), though it probably requires them to be in an election-winning position. The other part would be the WA swing unwinding, which looks pretty plausible and this divide probably helps with that. Dutton isn't an appealing guy, but I wouldn't rule it out if the cost of living crisis is still going on in 2025. I think Albanese has got lucky political timing being a first-term PM and not being up until 2025, like how he had lucky timing in 2022 too.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #311 on: October 18, 2023, 12:14:26 AM »

Just for the sake of interest, a map of the swing from the 1999 Republic referendum to the Voice.

Striking contrasts in Sydney between constituencies some of the strongest swings towards and against Voice compared to the Republic referendum.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2023, 06:44:58 AM »

Albanese had mentioned possibly holding a republican referendum in his second term, but the failure of the voice makes that unlikely now
I actually have a feeling a Republic referendum could pass. Republicanism seems to be a much more bipartisan idea than it was 25 years ago and it seems broadly popular.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2023, 09:07:15 AM »

I actually have a feeling a Republic referendum could pass. Republicanism seems to be a much more bipartisan idea than it was 25 years ago and it seems broadly popular.

And let's face it, Charlie doesn't have the emotional pull of his mother.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2023, 10:00:57 AM »

And honestly, it seems like the sort of idea that won't turn into a culture war. Neither the left or right particularly approve of the monarchy (apart from weirdo Abbott fans and middle-aged women).
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2023, 10:32:48 AM »

And honestly, it seems like the sort of idea that won't turn into a culture war. Neither the left or right particularly approve of the monarchy (apart from weirdo Abbott fans and middle-aged women).

It will absolutely turn into a polarised culture war because most Liberal MPs are monarchists and none of them want to hand Albo a win.

I can see the posters now…..
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2023, 07:05:38 PM »

It will absolutely turn into a polarised culture war because most Liberal MPs are monarchists and none of them want to hand Albo a win.

I can see the posters now…..

But at the same time many on the far-right are Republicans, and its a losing battle for the monarchists.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #317 on: October 18, 2023, 08:11:50 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2023, 10:18:05 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Ben Fordham says the winner of the VOICE referendum is Jacinta Price.

Australians say YES to Jacinta Price

https://www.facebook.com/2GBSydney/videos/689922143086577

Her phone messages from psychoactive-depressed-lefties has been revealed. Totally unhinged young men with no social skills attacking her.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-19/jacinta-nampijinpa-price-cook-voice-referendum/102997904

Jacinta Price Accepts Her Accolades

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyZ-4IyPjtu/

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2023, 06:20:11 AM »

I actually think that on the "Nixon to China" principle, there is a non-negligible chance that Australia ultimately becomes a republic under a Coalition government.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #319 on: October 20, 2023, 08:49:36 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2023, 09:18:21 PM by Meclazine for Israel »

Federal Government and QLD Government workers offered a week's leave at full pay to deal with the emotional stress and mental toll of having Australia voting "NO".

Woke Emotional Leave

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cym-5ZFPU6r/

Not really a democratic process if the result afterwards changes the holiday entitlements of Federal Government workers.

So for the next woke referendum, the leave entitlements of all Federal Government employees is contingent on an anti-woke result?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #320 on: October 20, 2023, 10:41:37 PM »

Federal Government and QLD Government workers offered a week's leave at full pay to deal with the emotional stress and mental toll of having Australia voting "NO".

Woke Emotional Leave

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cym-5ZFPU6r/

Not really a democratic process if the result afterwards changes the holiday entitlements of Federal Government workers.

So for the next woke referendum, the leave entitlements of all Federal Government employees is contingent on an anti-woke result?

Your computer is woke.

Ben Fordham says the winner of the VOICE referendum is Jacinta Price.

Australians say YES to Jacinta Price

https://www.facebook.com/2GBSydney/videos/689922143086577

Her phone messages from psychoactive-depressed-lefties has been revealed. Totally unhinged young men with no social skills attacking her.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-19/jacinta-nampijinpa-price-cook-voice-referendum/102997904

Jacinta Price Accepts Her Accolades

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyZ-4IyPjtu/

The one time Price ran for the lower house. She lost. Badly. By people she claims are her mob.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #321 on: October 21, 2023, 03:20:34 PM »

Come on Australia.
Post-referendum polling shows 47% of voters (80% of whom voted No) do not think First Nations people face more discrimination than whites, 25% think whites are more discriminated
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #322 on: October 22, 2023, 02:57:34 AM »

There remains ~800k-1 million votes left to count nationwide over the next fortnight. This will mostly be Absents (only a quarter have been counted so far), some remaining uncounted Prepolls, all Provisionals (which are counted last) and late Postals.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #323 on: December 23, 2023, 03:08:45 AM »

There remains ~800k-1 million votes left to count nationwide over the next fortnight. This will mostly be Absents (only a quarter have been counted so far), some remaining uncounted Prepolls, all Provisionals (which are counted last) and late Postals.

Feel free to share the final results.  I'd have to assume they've all been counted by now...  
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #324 on: December 23, 2023, 07:40:11 AM »

Feel free to share the final results.  I'd have to assume they've all been counted by now...  

Official results:

60.06% No (9,452,792 votes)

39.94% Yes (6,286,894)

0.98% Blank/Invalid (155,545)

89.95% Turnout (15,895,231)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies