Embarassing myself with Boundary Assistant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:31:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Embarassing myself with Boundary Assistant
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Embarassing myself with Boundary Assistant  (Read 817 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2023, 01:36:38 PM »

I've been having a bit of fun with Boundary Assistant lately and thought it might be a bit of fun to share my maps on here. (Mods, move if this is not the right place).

This is also redrawing with an ulterior motive. Finding redistricting threads on here in high school gave me a tone of useless knowledge about the geography of America, but my knowledge doesn't really stack up in the rest of the world. Hopefully doing this teaches me more about Britiain, such as wtf is the difference between ceremonial counties, historical counties, and metropolitan counties, and what exactly is a "Humberside."

Northeast England to come shortly.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 02:32:43 PM »

As promised.

First, Teesside and adjacent constituencies. I hewed pretty closely to the current proposals here.

Now for Tyneside.

A broader regional view. There are four constituencies which I didn't cover in the zoomed in screenshots; the sea green northern seat is "Berwick & Morpeth," the western pink seat is "Hexham and Cramlington," the purple SW seat is "Bishop Auckland" and the south central light purplish blue is "Spennymoor & Newton Aycliffe."

Where did I screw up? Also, how would these vote?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 10:49:06 AM »

Whoever drew the wards in Sheffield is a titanium HP.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 11:26:52 AM »

Not really, no.  The point is that they were designed as electoral units for local elections (for which they are, for the most part, not bad) not as building blocks for a different process (for which they are far too big).

Have you grappled with Kirklees yet?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 11:46:43 AM »

Not really, no.  The point is that they were designed as electoral units for local elections (for which they are, for the most part, not bad) not as building blocks for a different process (for which they are far too big).

Have you grappled with Kirklees yet?

No but the prospect that there might be worse wards in population size fills me with dread.

I think I shall switch to Wales.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »

Using wards with the tight quota demanded by the present rules was always going to be rather problematic. Of course it's actually even worse in places with county-scale unitary authorities: the divisions used in Durham and Shropshire UAs, for instance, are appalling.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 01:18:30 PM »

Using wards with the tight quota demanded by the present rules was always going to be rather problematic. Of course it's actually even worse in places with county-scale unitary authorities: the divisions used in Durham and Shropshire UAs, for instance, are appalling.
Any particular ones in mind? The 2 thin wards west of Durham come to mind for myself.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 03:09:11 PM »

Nvm, I'm doing the Southeast. First, Kent.

(Labels in the spoiler)
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 03:52:30 PM »

That 'Blyth & Tyne' constituency would be a really bad idea and there's no reason to go for it (and I should add that there is no such thing as 'Seaton'); if you're insisting on no ward splits, Tynemouth - Valley + Riverside (actually, do this and hope God forgives you for what you've done to Newcastle's outer west). A Hexham and Cramlington constituency would also be a bad idea.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 10:25:28 AM »

That 'Blyth & Tyne' constituency would be a really bad idea and there's no reason to go for it (and I should add that there is no such thing as 'Seaton'); if you're insisting on no ward splits, Tynemouth - Valley + Riverside (actually, do this and hope God forgives you for what you've done to Newcastle's outer west). A Hexham and Cramlington constituency would also be a bad idea.

It's very doable to switch around like so; the question on my end is whether this is actually any better since the areas west of Newcastle seem like they're awkward fits at best with a more urbanized seat.

Sorry for the slow reply, have been busy.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 02:23:55 PM »

That's an impressively awful arrangement of constituencies in Tynedale.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »

The South Tynedale ward is an abomination, but it’s an abomination that needs to be kept in the Hexham based constituency. Good luck to the MP who attempts to get from Blaydon to Allendale in the middle of Winter without leaving the constituency.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 03:37:30 PM »

The South Tynedale ward is an abomination, but it’s an abomination that needs to be kept in the Hexham based constituency. Good luck to the MP who attempts to get from Blaydon to Allendale in the middle of Winter without leaving the constituency.

I went to Hexham for a few days in December about five years ago and took that road in a misguided attempt to be clever. In the dark, as it was starting to snow. It was educational.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 03:57:47 PM »

Agreed, which is why I went north initially. I'm playing around with other versions, like putting Cramlington in with Newcastle -- what makes most sense to put in with Tyneside in the Northumberland authority?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 05:15:35 PM »

What about this? (Sorry about Bedlington).

You can easily do Hexham-Berwick instead if that makes more sense.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 07:11:34 AM »

Hexham-Berwick very much does not make sense - look at the road network. That map is an improvement over your previous efforts, but it's also inching ever closer to the actual map we're going to get and that's not coincidental.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies