UK parliamentary boundary review
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:28:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK parliamentary boundary review
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
Author Topic: UK parliamentary boundary review  (Read 20196 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 03, 2023, 07:25:38 AM »

Taking it all with a pinch of salt of course. But there are still some pretty wild results in there that are highly engaging if nothing else. Both Isle of Wight seats going Labour for one. Rees-Mogg and Coffey going down to a narrow defeats. Frome and East Somerset turning into a true three-way marginal that costs the Lib Dems victory over the Tories. Rosie Duffield somehow winning a 20k majority. I could go on.

I would say that Rees-Mogg losing would not be a massive surprise. It's less Labour than the old Wansdyke, but that was comfortably Labour in 1997 and it's full of the sorts of voters the Tories have spent the past two years pissing off. Similarly, much as she's mad, I don't think a stonking majority in Canterbury is at all unlikely.

Still hoping that Duffield (who now spends most of her time in N Wales) retires at the GE.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #351 on: September 11, 2023, 05:12:37 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2023, 08:20:01 AM by YL »

Ben Walker's notionals for the New Statesman (England and Wales only for now):
https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/09/new-constituency-boundaries-mean
(paywall)

Table of percentages for each constituency, not paywalled.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2023, 10:28:50 AM »

Obviously these particular projects are always tricky and there are additional issues this time, but I do find myself pulling a face at some of the numbers there.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2023, 11:37:10 AM »

Obviously these particular projects are always tricky and there are additional issues this time, but I do find myself pulling a face at some of the numbers there.

I think it's basically impossible to do this without some duff figures.  Local election patterns are not always a good guide to General Election ones, especially where they involve the Lib Dems (and now I assume also the Greens) but sometimes with other parties as well.  And demographic modelling, while useful in principle and perhaps able to help correct for the issues in the last sentence, isn't perfect either and can't cope with personal votes and targetting.

Whitehaven & Workington was discussed above, and his Con majority there seems a bit high.  I'm also very surprised he has Spen Valley as close as he does (Con majority below 2000) and of course if that one is too Labour Dewsbury & Batley is going to be too Tory.  Wolverhampton SE is actually known to have been narrowly Tory (ward breakdowns in both Walsall and Wolverhampton are in the public domain) and he has it as narrowly Labour while Wolverhampton W is similarly too Tory (it was actually very close).

Other examples?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies