Pope says ‘backward’ U.S. conservatives have replaced faith with ideology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:21:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pope says ‘backward’ U.S. conservatives have replaced faith with ideology
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pope says ‘backward’ U.S. conservatives have replaced faith with ideology  (Read 754 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 04:47:19 PM »

If he were speaking about some evangelical protestants, I'd be inclined to agree a little bit, but the idea that doctrine is subject to change over time is repugnant to me. The message and words of Jesus Christ are timeless. The law of God does not adapt to the law of man.

And Francis's point is that conservatives are misinterpreting and even abusing that eternal word of God.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2023, 04:55:10 PM »

If he were speaking about some evangelical protestants, I'd be inclined to agree a little bit, but the idea that doctrine is subject to change over time is repugnant to me. The message and words of Jesus Christ are timeless. The law of God does not adapt to the law of man.

And Francis's point is that conservatives are misinterpreting and even abusing that eternal word of God.

That's not what he said. Once again, I feel like almost everyone here is viewing this from an American point of view.

What Pope Francis is talking about is subordinating Christianity to either left or right. Yes, he mentions the US Conservative Catholics. But he also mentions how some " liberal " Jesuits have also subordinated Christianity to a ideology ala Marxism.

https://www.laciviltacattolica.com/the-water-has-been-agitated/

As the First Non Western/European Pope in Centuries as I said before, he does not see Christianity in the paradigm we do.

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2023, 05:20:47 PM »

More like they replaced their conservative ideology with faith (in Trump).
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »

It should be noted that he is referring to conservatism within the church - i.e. a movement that advocates a return to a return to rituals and traditions that have been discontinued over time. Of course, this goes hand in hand with far-right politics, but it seems many in the thread are reading it more broadly.

Anyway, no Pope is better situated to lead us against this reactionary thinking that has taken off in recent years. He is the best Pope of our lifetime. Viva il papa!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2023, 06:12:35 PM »

Let's remember he is only (directly) talking about portions of the Roman Catholic Church in the US, not conservative Christians of other denominations.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies