Liberals/Leftists: What presidential elections would you have started voting Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Liberals/Leftists: What presidential elections would you have started voting Democratic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Liberals/Leftists: What presidential elections would you have started voting Democratic?  (Read 1360 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2023, 11:02:20 PM »

1880 for me, though I probably care about trade and monetary policy more than most. Garfield was an extreme hard money conservative who had led opposition to the Bland-Allison Act in Congress. IDK why people who would switch in 1896 over Bryan and free silver would vote for Garfield over Hancock.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2023, 06:29:47 PM »

1880 for me, though I probably care about trade and monetary policy more than most. Garfield was an extreme hard money conservative who had led opposition to the Bland-Allison Act in Congress. IDK why people who would switch in 1896 over Bryan and free silver would vote for Garfield over Hancock.

Blatant "State's Rights" Apologia, whereas Bryan was considerably more apathetic.

That said, Greenbacks were a thing at the time as an alternative to either party, just as Populists had 1892, Readjusters had the 1880s, etc, etc.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies