Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:14:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40
Author Topic: Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments  (Read 30727 times)
Yoda
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2023, 10:08:09 PM »

I posted this on the other thread before I realized the discussion had moved and gotten it's own thread here, but on what grounds is trump going to try to get this case moved from state court to federal court and how likely do we think it is that he will succeed? What is at stake besides trump being able to pardon himself should he win the election? Would the jury no longer be drawn exclusively from Fulton County?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2023, 10:09:18 PM »

This is a nice little late present to me in the last hour of my birthday. The gift of schadenfreude is always welcome.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 10:09:54 PM »

Apparently there's a brand-new law that allows the Georgia Governor and a Board to remove lawyers from cases, if I understood correctly.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2023, 10:10:41 PM »

AWWW YEAH LETS GOOOOOOO
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 10:11:01 PM »

Man what a fall from grace for  Rudy Giuliani . From being the greatest mayor of NYC since at least the 60s to being an indicted criminal.

If Rudy just stayed retired , he’s have had multiple statues in NYC and he viewed as a hero
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2023, 10:11:16 PM »

I posted this on the other thread before I realized the discussion had moved and gotten it's own thread here, but on what grounds is trump going to try to get this case moved from state court to federal court and how likely do we think it is that he will succeed? What is at stake besides trump being able to pardon himself should he win the election? Would the jury no longer be drawn exclusively from Fulton County?

The grounds he can (try to) use to get it moved to federal court is that the conduct charged falls under his Presidential duties. The consensus in the other thread is that it's very unlikely though I don't think it's quite that unlikely. he tried to get the NY charges moved to federal court and was rightly shot down. Yes the jury would not come from Fulton country (or not exclusively) as it would be a change of venue. He might get a sympathetic judge too which he's not likely to here.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2023, 10:11:37 PM »

This is a nice little late present to me in the last hour of my birthday. The gift of schadenfreude is always welcome.

Happy Birthday!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2023, 10:12:07 PM »

How in gods name can this man be allowed to run for the nomination, these charges show he abb no d his team tried to breach voting data to change people’s vote and harassed election workers
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2023, 10:12:32 PM »

#Trump2024
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2023, 10:12:47 PM »

There probably isn't any, the indictments only involve Georgia law. One could argue that there's an overlap with Jack Smith's indictments even if he didn't indict specifically for this, but even that wouldn't be grounds to move the case as the Supreme Court has made it clear that separate state and federal charges are not a double jeopardy violation (Gamble v. United States (2019), 7-2 decision, Gorsuch is the only dissenter still on the court [the other was the late RBG.])
Yoda
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2023, 10:12:59 PM »

I'd give my right nut to be seated at that trial when these posts are read, and when the prosecution notes that despite all the bluster and bloviating, trump produced exactly zero evidence of voter fraud when given the opportunity to do so in the discovery process, nor did he show up when invited to testify and provide all of this supposed evidence that totally exists in real life.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2023, 10:13:39 PM »

RICO charges carry the Death Penalty in Georgia, if I'm not mistaken. Any chance the DA goes for it?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2023, 10:13:44 PM »

I agree with you , as 2024 is the year he will start his sentence 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2023, 10:14:31 PM »

Happy Birthday!

Much appreciated, OSR. It's amazing how little things can ease the pain of turning 31.

And to your point with Giuliani, it's some rich irony for him to be indicted under RICO after using that law for his mafia prosecutions.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2023, 10:14:35 PM »

Yeah, 20-24 years in prison.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2023, 10:15:03 PM »

I'd give my right nut to be seated at that trial when these posts are read, and when the prosecution notes that despite all the bluster and bloviating, trump produced exactly zero evidence of voter fraud when given the opportunity to do so in the discovery process, nor did he show up when invited to testify and provide all of this supposed evidence that totally exists in real life.

Fortunately it will all be televised (barring extraordinary circumstances).
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2023, 10:15:13 PM »

Happy birthday, dear! 🥳
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2023, 10:16:13 PM »

You actually will likely be able to see it: https://www.mediaite.com/trump/breaking-georgia-judge-rules-cameras-will-be-allowed-in-courtroom-if-trump-indicted/
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2023, 10:17:13 PM »

What a gift! Lol 🎂
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2023, 10:17:17 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2023, 10:27:56 PM by Reapsow »

No. 2,024 charges.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2023, 10:18:07 PM »

RICO charges carry the Death Penalty in Georgia, if I'm not mistaken. Any chance the DA goes for it?
Only if a murder is involved. If not then the law is unconstitutional because the Supreme Court has ruled that no crimes other than murder may receive the death penalty.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2023, 10:18:26 PM »

The first Trump impeachment passed on my birthday. Now you know how it feels!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2023, 10:19:56 PM »

Also I'm amused that earlier Trump condescendingly referred to Fani Willis as a "young lady". She's 52. I suppose that's young in comparison to him.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2023, 10:20:33 PM »

emailking and BRTD thanks for the responses, they were helpful.

Also can I just say how grateful I am that Mark Meadows is FINALLY f***ing charged with a crime somewhere? This man got caught red handed committing voter fraud and not a damn thing happened. If he was a black woman in Texas he would be doing 20 years at state for what he did.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2023, 10:20:51 PM »

So no charges for Lindsey Graham, interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies