[November 7, 2023] Ohio Abortion Referendum Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:23:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  [November 7, 2023] Ohio Abortion Referendum Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: By what margin do you think the Ohio Right to Make Reproductive Decisions Including Abortion Initiative will pass/fail?
Greater than Yes+20%

Between Yes+20% and Yes+15%

Between Yes+15% and Yes+10%

Between Yes+10% and Yes+5%

Less than Yes+5%

Less than No+5%

Between No+5% and No+10%

Between No+10% and No+15%

Between No+15% and No+20%

Greater than No+20%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: [November 7, 2023] Ohio Abortion Referendum Megathread  (Read 9529 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2023, 07:50:04 PM »

WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2023, 07:55:09 PM »

It appears as if Cuyahoga, Lorain, Summit, Mahoning, Lucas, Franklin, Montgomery, and Hamilton Counties are coming in strong in the early vote.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2023, 08:58:18 AM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2023, 12:07:42 PM »

This poll is rather odd, but it does ask the ultimate question. It runs the question different ways with different samples, but ultimately comes out with a 60-40 Yes result when using the ballot language. (Other language yields a 69-31 Yes vote.) Even the most favourable result for the pro-life side ended up with a 52-36 Yes result. This poll also finds support for Dobbs at 31-57.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2023, 06:13:45 AM »

Is there any chance this could pass with >60% yes vote, solely for the irony of having the legislature go head-over-heels to get that first failed amendment to a vote trying to raise the threshold to 60% to pass?
Germany1994
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2023, 07:36:37 AM »

Which county will have the biggest Yes vote?? Probably Athens, right??
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »

Is there any chance this could pass with >60% yes vote, solely for the irony of having the legislature go head-over-heels to get that first failed amendment to a vote trying to raise the threshold to 60% to pass?

It's unlikely.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2023, 08:34:40 AM »

It's unlikely.

I’m open to it not being a total blow out, but it will be a convincing win. There is an equal nonzero possibility that people are lying and it’s either really close (or the amendment gets voted down like a raise for school teachers) or that we’re eating crow because we didn’t believe the polls.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2023, 10:32:19 AM »

It only passed by 13 in Michigan, and Ohio is a much more conservative state. I struggle to see how it does better here.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2023, 11:02:00 AM »

PPP has YES leading on Issue 1, 55-38

https://twitter.com/DavidPepper/status/1718997391108444385
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2023, 11:33:20 AM »

It only passed by 13 in Michigan, and Ohio is a much more conservative state. I struggle to see how it does better here.

Maybe because they already started going after doctors in this state?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2023, 11:55:47 AM »

The state has a more conservative electorate though.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2023, 12:10:58 PM »

I could see it getting 60 percent or more.

Democratic counties mail ballot requests have increased by a lot, in Franklin County they are twice as high as in August, and Republican counties have virtually no increases.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2023, 12:14:00 PM »

Maybe YES will only get 54% or something.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2023, 01:13:15 PM »

The state has a more conservative electorate though.

But it might not be a linear shift.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2023, 09:24:03 AM »

Feels like Republicans have given up at this point:

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2023, 09:36:11 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the cannabis measure is closer than the abortion measure
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2023, 03:53:24 PM »

But the MI referendum was on the midterm ballot, so there was higher turnout. This is an off year election with lower turnout which will benefit the pro-choice side. Even though KS is more conservative than MI the pro-choice side won by more in KS than MI last year because the KS referendum was in August instead of November.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2023, 03:55:17 PM »

But the MI referendum was on the midterm ballot, so there was higher turnout. This is an off year election with lower turnout which will benefit the pro-choice side. Even though KS is more conservative than MI the pro-choice side won by more in KS than MI last year because the KS referendum was in August instead of November.

Why would lower voter turnout benefit the pro-choice side?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2023, 04:28:06 PM »

Why would lower voter turnout benefit the pro-choice side?

I assume only more educated voters are showing up?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2023, 05:06:02 PM »

Kansas wasn't comparable because the sides were swapped where abortion was no and on the defense.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2023, 06:23:04 PM »

Looking verryyyyy similar to the August EV from L2:

8/5 — 479K (50.3% Dem, 41.1% Rep)
8/7 — 569K (49.6% Dem, 40.8% Rep)

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2023, 04:24:44 AM »

It's possible, but I think that's unlikely. If you use the August election as a baseline (yes, I know it's not the same thing, but it does provide some real numbers), Cuyahoga (23-77) and Franklin (25-75) had bigger margins than Athens (29-71). Of course, one major difference is that college is currently in session. Franklin has the massive college that is Ohio State University and Athens itself is a college town county. I wouldn't be surprised to see Athens County have the highest Yes margin on the marijuana initiative though.

I think the counties to watch on Tuesday will be Lake, Portage, and Wood. The first two voted to the left of the state as a whole in August, while Wood was just barely to the right of the statewide margin. If Yes isn't winning 2/3 (especially Lake), an upset is definitely possible. On the other hand, if Yes is holding some of the <55% No counties from August (such as Medina, Geauga, or Stark), it should be an easy victory. Any flips from No to Yes (which seems unlikely) would mean a huge victory for Yes, indicating a serious suburban revolt against Dobbs.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »

It's possible, but I think that's unlikely. If you use the August election as a baseline (yes, I know it's not the same thing, but it does provide some real numbers), Cuyahoga (23-77) and Franklin (25-75) had bigger margins than Athens (29-71). Of course, one major difference is that college is currently in session. Franklin has the massive college that is Ohio State University and Athens itself is a college town county. I wouldn't be surprised to see Athens County have the highest Yes margin on the marijuana initiative though.

I think the counties to watch on Tuesday will be Lake, Portage, and Wood. The first two voted to the left of the state as a whole in August, while Wood was just barely to the right of the statewide margin. If Yes isn't winning 2/3 (especially Lake), an upset is definitely possible. On the other hand, if Yes is holding some of the <55% No counties from August (such as Medina, Geauga, or Stark), it should be an easy victory. Any flips from No to Yes (which seems unlikely) would mean a huge victory for Yes, indicating a serious suburban revolt against Dobbs.

I would not totally dismiss the idea that there are counties that voted Yes to reform the constitution last time (I assume this is what you meant) that go for Yes again, even if the margins narrow from August. Cause the two questions could see regional variation, and there were six suburban counties last time that had 51-49 margins or narrower - three on the Yes side and three on the side of No. If say hypothetically, the South and West got more anti-Abortion from August, and the North and Center got more pro-Abortion, then some Columbus and Dayton suburban counties might flip in opposite directions.

Obviously though, all this talk of region variations is predicated on this referendum getting close to the August referendums's results. If we end up somewhere like 52-48 then counties will only be going in one direction, even if there are regional variations in support levels under the hood.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies