Have R policies actually driven Ds out of Texas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:19:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Have R policies actually driven Ds out of Texas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Have R policies actually driven Ds out of Texas?  (Read 1789 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2023, 10:47:52 AM »

People who identify as trans* are like 0.7 percent of the total population, and those most affected are teens and kids, many of whom don't, and most afab people are not able/willing to uproot their lives over abortion, even among those who know how bad the laws actually are.

*the total percent of people born trans may be higher because of older people who would have considered themselves trans of they were younger but don't now for one of a wide variety of reasons, and trans people tend to die earlier, a problem that was most likely much worse than now. These factors don't prevent

I think you forgot to finish that last sentence.
Yeah, I did.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2023, 02:08:41 PM »

People who identify as trans* are like 0.7 percent of the total population, and those most affected are teens and kids, many of whom don't, and most afab people are not able/willing to uproot their lives over abortion, even among those who know how bad the laws actually are.

*the total percent of people born trans may be higher because of older people who would have considered themselves trans of they were younger but don't now for one of a wide variety of reasons, and trans people tend to die earlier, a problem that was most likely much worse than now. These factors don't prevent

Yeah, I did.
What were you going to type there?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2023, 02:18:10 PM »

No, but it's made the group of people moving into Texas notably more R.
And this is what makes Blexas a tougher lift. People born in Texas are less R than people who move to Texas.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 11:25:05 PM »

And this is what makes Blexas a tougher lift. People born in Texas are less R than people who move to Texas.

I don’t understand how this is true. The parts of TX least likely to have transplants and are shrinking are mostly deep red, and the fastest growing parts of the state with a ton of transplants are mostly blue (Austin).

I would be pretty surprised if born in state residents are rlly bluer than transplants.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2023, 07:20:47 AM »

I don’t understand how this is true. The parts of TX least likely to have transplants and are shrinking are mostly deep red, and the fastest growing parts of the state with a ton of transplants are mostly blue (Austin).

I would be pretty surprised if born in state residents are rlly bluer than transplants.

One theory I've heard is that the transplants who moved to Texas in the 80s, 90s and 2000s tend to be very conservative, even if the ones who moved more recently generally skew young and liberal. Lines up with late Boomers/early Gen X being among the most conservative age groups.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2023, 07:43:27 AM »

Short answer is because of minority voters being much more likely to be Texas-born.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2023, 09:47:33 AM »

One theory I've heard is that the transplants who moved to Texas in the 80s, 90s and 2000s tend to be very conservative, even if the ones who moved more recently generally skew young and liberal. Lines up with late Boomers/early Gen X being among the most conservative age groups.

Ah that would make the most sense, and def corresponds with Dallas and Houston becoming such Conservative bastions. I would be curious to see the political breakdown of people who moved in TX over the past 5 years or so
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2023, 10:53:31 AM »

Yeah, I did.
What were you going to type there?
IIRC basically that the stuff in the asterisk doesn't change the math in the top paragraph.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2023, 11:13:51 AM »

If that were the case, I would also foresee a potential future where gender imbalance building in states that have authoritarian laws.  I wonder how that would complicate things. The girls leave because the government is mean to them. Do the boys just become gay? I'm guessing a lot of them would end up leaving again to find partners.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2023, 07:10:23 PM »

If that were the case, I would also foresee a potential future where gender imbalance building in states that have authoritarian laws.  I wonder how that would complicate things. The girls leave because the government is mean to them. Do the boys just become gay? I'm guessing a lot of them would end up leaving again to find partners.

Def an interesting question I sort of worry about, even starting to get 60-40 gender imbalances could have huge societal consequences.

My guess is the trend just continues of fewer people having a long term partner/getting married, possibly more underground "services" and stuff.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2023, 05:40:23 AM »

Short answer is because of minority voters being much more likely to be Texas-born.
That is quite true. Them with 2004 type margins with Latinos would require a different GOP.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies