High School Boys are Trending Conservative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 10:03:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  High School Boys are Trending Conservative
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: High School Boys are Trending Conservative  (Read 6920 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2023, 08:52:34 AM »
« edited: August 04, 2023, 08:56:15 AM by Skill and Chance »

Again, this all goes back to the American left becoming so stupidly obsessed with which specific people in the top 10-20% have the best odds of breaking into the top 1%, when the real societal problem is how much the top 10-20% is separating from everyone else in life outcomes.  This will only be accentuated with AI.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2023, 09:00:42 AM »

Again, this all goes back to the American left becoming so stupidly obsessed with which specific people in the top 10-20% have the best odds of breaking into the top 1%, when the real societal problem is how much the top 10-20% is separating from everyone else in life outcomes.  This will only be accentuated with AI.

The irony of AI is that it has targeted " liberal arts " jobs more so than the hard blue collar jobs. Everyone... including Mark Cuban just 5 years ago, would say that Liberal arts jobs would be the future. https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-liberal-arts-is-the-future-2017-2

Or something requiring a liberal arts degree.

Now that's turned on it's head. Blue Collar Skilled Trade Jobs and more applied sciences jobs are booming under Biden. Plumbers. Engineers. Electricians. They're needed everywhere.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2023, 09:06:15 AM »

The irony of AI is that it has targeted " liberal arts " jobs more so than the hard blue collar jobs. Everyone... including Mark Cuban just 5 years ago, would say that Liberal arts jobs would be the future. https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-liberal-arts-is-the-future-2017-2

Now that's turned on it's head. Blue Collar Skilled Trade Jobs and more applied sciences jobs are booming under Biden. Plumbers. Engineers. Electricians. They're needed everywhere.
The impact of technology can be surprising and unpredictable.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2023, 09:10:07 AM »

And the jobs in demand, that still need a liberal arts degree ( like teaching) are underpaid, or just filled with issues top to bottom.

Just look at the state of American teacher training. It's horrible. Students who can't even do math, majoring in " education ", and then teaching the next generation of children.  And they're drastically underpaid in many states.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2023, 09:15:30 AM »

And the jobs in demand, that still need a liberal arts degree ( like teaching) are underpaid, or just filled with issues top to bottom.

Just look at the state of American teacher training. It's horrible. Students who can't even do math, majoring in " education ", and then teaching the next generation of children.  And they're drastically underpaid in many states.
Hey, it could be worse. Teaching degrees could be effectively mandatory if you want a teacher job in some jurisdictions...wait, have we crossed that threshold, too?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2023, 09:18:38 AM »

Hey, it could be worse. Teaching degrees could be effectively mandatory if you want a teacher job in some jurisdictions...wait, have we crossed that threshold, too?

California has tried to remediate this issue, by not having " education " majors.

The system is like this in California.

You major in any other field, including STEM fields, and then you enter a post graduate teacher credential program.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2023, 09:20:11 AM »

California has tried to remediate this issue, by not having " education " majors.

The system is like this in California.

You major in any other field, including STEM fields, and then you enter a post graduate teacher credential program.

Good policy.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2023, 09:46:04 AM »

Its really just women changing massively for no explicable reason(60% of all college degrees go to women) and maybe a small slight reactionary shift among men but its all blamed on misogyny.

It's wild that you can come up with an entire thesis on why men have moved slightly to the right, but it is completely beyond your comprehension why women may have moved sharply to the left in recent years.

There are reasons for young women to move left but a lot of them are garbage. Women form 60% of college degrees and yet for some reason as this trend continues liberals start believing women face discrimination in achieving college degrees ? Other reasons are self serving like most people do such as debt forgivable
 Young Men either don't go to college or if they do they pick the degrees resulting in better jobs to pay off debt. Meanwhile young women join college and don't pay of their debt.

Lol please don’t tell me you’re one of those “it’s harder to be a man than a woman these days” lunatics.

Based on your own beliefs on race which state the only reason for a disparity between races is due to systemic racism I assume the same should apply to sex. Why are 60% of college students women and even if that was fine what discrimination do women face in getting a degree?
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2023, 09:48:05 AM »

This does not appeal to men who aren't already 100% in the tank for Dems. It also does not appeal to most of the men who are already in the tank for Dems. Men do not want to be lectured on how they should cry more and go to therapy instead of the gym.

Also lol, “don’t go to therapy, go to the gym”, stop watching Andrew Tate

Hey, not everyone gets their well-being from the same sources, and physical exercise is proven beyond dispute to help in that aspect. You don't need to like Andrew Tate to think so.

And I do believe that getting in shape and creating that routine and sense of self-improvement could be more helpful to many than therapists, and getting away from that has caused a lot of harm to young people, who've been heavily influenced by messaging saying it's simply impossible otherwise.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2023, 01:36:34 PM »

As a high schooler, my anecdotal experience confirms this. My school is an overwhelmingly Asian public school so one may be inclined to think that students there would be left wing. But most of my male friends actually lean conservative, whether it’s memes mocking Joe Biden or (much more substantially) pushback against wokeism (you see them mocking things like “72 genders” and complaining about reverse sexism). Of course, for obvious reasons most of them also vehemently oppose affirmative action…we had a debate in civics class on the matter last year, and pretty much everyone took a stand against it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2023, 01:38:03 PM »

This does not appeal to men who aren't already 100% in the tank for Dems. It also does not appeal to most of the men who are already in the tank for Dems. Men do not want to be lectured on how they should cry more and go to therapy instead of the gym.

Also lol, “don’t go to therapy, go to the gym”, stop watching Andrew Tate

Exercising outdoors is better than going to the gym.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2023, 01:39:44 PM »

It should be noted also that the "Andrew Tate" people are not going to grow up and be part of any kind of coherent political movement, just like the people who worshiped alt-right Youtubers several years ago. These are the next generation of rapists and mass shooters. They'll never procreate or have relationships, unless they reform, because it is not possible for these people to appeal to women. It's a very concerning problem, but for reasons much more important than who they will vote for in 2028.

Tate is indeed old toxicity in a new bottle. His videos and whatnot validate sexists. Until now sexism and misogyny was frowned upon, but here’s a rich, “masculine” man who proudly advocates that stuff. Rather than creating new sexists, necessarily, Tate exposes the attitudes of sexists who until now were too scared of society’s response to actually articulate their sexism. And when questioned they can just hide behind “trendy” Andrew Tate. Hell, it’s possible even a few non sexists have been pushed into following Tate to fit in with their classmates or whatever.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2023, 01:41:24 PM »

As a high schooler, my anecdotal experience confirms this. My school is an overwhelmingly Asian public school so one may be inclined to think that students there would be left wing. But most of my male friends actually lean conservative, whether it’s memes mocking Joe Biden or (much more substantially) pushback against wokeism (you see them mocking things like “72 genders” and complaining about reverse sexism). Of course, for obvious reasons most of them also vehemently oppose affirmative action…we had a debate in civics class on the matter last year, and pretty much everyone took a stand against it.
And I can guess how the females there lean.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2023, 01:45:49 PM »

Honestly I don’t know. Admittedly I mostly interact with boys not girls, but it feels like girls are less interested in politics and “woke wars” and whatnot than the boys. Tbf this may not be an inaccurate view of it at all - consider the gender breakdown of this very forum. Mostly young males, very few females.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2023, 01:47:09 PM »

Honestly I don’t know. Admittedly I mostly interact with boys not girls, but it feels like girls are less interested in politics and “woke wars” and whatnot than the boys. Tbf this may not be an inaccurate view of it at all - consider the gender breakdown of this very forum. Mostly young males, very few females.

Interesting. My experience has been largely the opposite with girls being more politically engaged, however I mostly was friends with girls so honestly this could be just my own bias.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2023, 01:49:30 PM »

Therapy as currently practiced struggles to show any statistically meaningful results in reducing mental illness.  People are right to have some questions, especially given that the therapist has a strong financial incentive to keep the patient coming back.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2023, 01:49:36 PM »

Interesting. My experience has been largely the opposite with girls being more politically engaged, however I mostly was friends with girls so honestly this could be just my own bias.

Ig most people are at least to some extent politically engaged, but don’t feel comfortable sharing their political beliefs right off the bat. I’m sure if I made good friends with a few girls there’s a good chance they might open up about their own views.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2023, 01:54:30 PM »

In my experience, it’s the white girls who tend to be more vocal in the “ woke wars “.

Immigrants tend to be more reserved or focused on their education, even if they might vote Left.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2023, 02:01:37 PM »

In the past education was not necessary as a marker of social status as today. 

This is literally the exact opposite of the truth.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »

In the past education was not necessary as a marker of social status as today. 

This is literally the exact opposite of the truth.

Ferguson, I get the argument about “ education “ being more than just job training. But the rest of the world sees it this way, and the US is the only odd man on this point.

For example in the UK, you go straight from high school to college to study Law. No.. undergrad.

Is the UK system any less than the US ?

I think that’s at the root of the issue.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2023, 02:20:20 PM »

I'm surprised your friends are mainly conservative, given how you live in a way more Democratic place (and presumably less Christian place) than say where I live. I'm curious, do they actively support Trump or Vivek or do they just dislike Biden and dislike the GOP, and are they conservative on other issues like abortion or the other issues you debated?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2023, 02:33:28 PM »

Admittedly I mostly interact with boys not girls,

You’re an Atlas poster, that much is self evident.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2023, 05:35:08 PM »

Again, this all goes back to the American left becoming so stupidly obsessed with which specific people in the top 10-20% have the best odds of breaking into the top 1%, when the real societal problem is how much the top 10-20% is separating from everyone else in life outcomes.  This will only be accentuated with AI.

That's not true, it's targeting extremely mundane computer jobs. Low-level tech jobs are the ones in greatest danger. Anything that requires any kind of human thought is safe for a while.

It's the "learn to code" people who have been flipped on their heads over the last couple years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2023, 07:33:31 PM »

This thread, like any discussion of gender here, embarrassingly reflects atlases status as a near total sausage fest
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2023, 07:41:33 PM »

I have to mention again that besides the idiocy of taking a poll where 65% of people don't identify as either at face value, many of these "Conservatives" aren't actually Jesus-loving SoCons people seem to think.

I personally know several people who make jokes about Joe Biden having dementia, all the genders, "I identify as an attack helicopter", and even some who think Trump is "based" who still support gay rights, healthcare, etc.

Conservative Twitter is proclaiming that these are the new Gileadean Holy Warriors of the future, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies