Favorite Christopher Nolan film
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:26:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favorite Christopher Nolan film
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Favorite Christopher Nolan film
Following

Memento

Insomnia

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Dark Knight Rises

Interstellar

Dunkirk

Tenet

Oppenheimer

The Prestige

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Christopher Nolan film  (Read 1550 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2023, 08:43:59 PM »

Ledger is the only memorable part of the movie, and even then he’s in service of a pretty boring character.

Bruh...

As someone who used to love the film, I can't say I entirely agree with Dule but there are definitely a lot of issues with The Dark Knight.

Anyway I voted Dunkirk because why not.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2023, 02:46:42 AM »

1. Memento
2. The Prestige
3. Interstellar
4. Following
5. Dunkirk
6. Batman Begins
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. The Dark Knight
9. Insomnia
10. Inception

Haven't seen Tenet & Oppenheimer
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2023, 02:49:13 AM »

1) Memento (8/10)
2) Inception (6/10)
3) Dunkirk (6/10)
4) The Dark Knight Rises (5/10)
5) Interstellar (5/10)
6) The Dark Knight (4/10)
7) The Prestige (4/10)
8) Batman Begins (3/10)
9) Tenet (3/10)

It’s been too long since I saw Following or Insomnia to judge them, but I recall not caring much for either of them.

I would like to get back on you for criticizing my ratings on lawrence of arabia and citizen kane.

But I have to say for the most part i kinda agree with you.

I'm not too keen on Batman trilogy, i'm not a fan of Inception and i don't like the pseudeoscience in Interstellar either. The only film I really like is Memento & perhaps The Prestige.

But overall i agree with you that Nolan's pretty overrated. Hope Oppenheimer is more my thing. You seem to be even harsher on Nolan than I am. But I get why people cannot swallow his films.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2023, 07:27:26 AM »

To be clear the pseudoscience in Interstellar is some of the grand stuff near the end (and even that we don't know for sure is impossible). Everything before that is just a matter of technology or luck.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2023, 08:38:09 AM »

Interstellar has something that's not quite a plot hole but it is the characters doing something incredibly stupid without much explanation:

Why do they travel to the water planet first? They should've easily been able to figure out that the planet was all water and not habitable before landing, and considering the extreme time dilation it was a huge risk to go there. Others have pointed out that such a planet would be obviously uninhabitable due to the time dilation to begin with....that meant it was in effect a FAR younger planet than Earth and wouldn't have had time to develop an ecosystem, furthermore it had no sun but rather that black hole, which would make Earth-style life impossible.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 09:34:09 AM »

I don't think we know it was all water everywhere? It doesn't necessarily need an existing ecosystem to be habitable. Also it could have been a captured planet and thus a lot older, although it's hard to see anything living surviving that process. A black hole with an accretion disc can work as a stand in for a sun if you're at the right distance.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2023, 10:20:28 AM »

Ledger is the only memorable part of the movie, and even then he’s in service of a pretty boring character.

Bruh...

Someone who just wants to burn everything down isn't interesting. I would have wanted much more of Two-Face.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2023, 01:33:37 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Bruh...

Someone who just wants to burn everything down isn't interesting. I would have wanted much more of Two-Face.
One idea that I saw on Facebook for a future Batman Movie: cast Sacha Baron Cohen as The Joker and let him method-act the part unscripted in all his glory, and even let him do interviews in character like he did for Borat and The Dictator. Of course this won't happen because such a movie would be nightmare fuel and would risk an NC-17 rating.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2023, 04:14:59 PM »

Bruh...

Ah-ha-aha-ha-ha-ha-oo-ee-aha-ha, and I thought my takes were bad.

By the same logic, Two-Face is just another person escaping responsibility for his actions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2023, 06:55:45 AM »

1. Oppenheimer
2. Inception
3. Interstellar
(big gap)
4. The Dark Knight
5. Batman Begins
(massive gap)
6. TDKR

I really want to watch Memento but I'm afraid it's gonna be too depressing for me. I also want to watch Tenet - I feel bad I missed it even though it got bad reviews, I think Nolan has done enough impressive work to deserve the benefit of the doubt from me. OTOH I'm not really interested in Dunkirk tbh - I just don't know what there is to do with that premise.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2023, 02:36:47 PM »

I liked inception when I first watched it, but ultimately I feel like Nolan is a peculiar man to make a movie based around dreams. Most movies about dreams are, well, dreamlike, but Nolan's extremely literal nature means he strains to keep everything obeying the laws of cause and effect and within the "layer" structure. In Inception, dreams, and the dreams within dreams, are governed by strict rules, and all for the service of standard Hollywood fare (shoot outs, car chases etc).
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2023, 05:15:21 AM »

Oppenheimer is what a 9-year-old child with severe attention deficit disorder would make if you were to instruct him to make a biographic film about science. \

Is this a Michael Bay movie?  lol

0/10.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2023, 04:45:35 PM »

Oppenheimer is what a 9-year-old child with severe attention deficit disorder would make if you were to instruct him to make a biographic film about science. \

Is this a Michael Bay movie?  lol

0/10.

Christopher Nolan has always kind of been the elevated Michael Bay to me, it's why I think he has such mainstream appeal. He makes blockbusters with just enough film-making competence and intellectualism on the surface to make average audiences feel smart.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2023, 07:20:52 AM »

The Nolan-Bay comparison makes a lot of sense... if you have no idea what themes are. Now was Nolan overrated at the peak of his career? Sure - I think the Dark Knight trilogy was always overhyped and has aged pretty poorly. And even Inception was hardly revolutionary filmmaking. But in an era where most major blockbuster hits have no greater ambition than being "entertaining" it is nice to see there are a few major filmmakers still interested in making movies that say things.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »

Nolan is an indie auteur trapped in a blockbuster filmmaker’s body. It makes sense that his films are often bloated and pretentious.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2023, 10:24:02 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2023, 01:40:35 AM by August is Landlord Pride Month »

The Nolan-Bay comparison makes a lot of sense... if you have no idea what themes are. Now was Nolan overrated at the peak of his career? Sure - I think the Dark Knight trilogy was always overhyped and has aged pretty poorly. And even Inception was hardly revolutionary filmmaking. But in an era where most major blockbuster hits have no greater ambition than being "entertaining" it is nice to see there are a few major filmmakers still interested in making movies that say things.

Yeah. Nolan writes dull characters, bad exposition, and stupid pseudoscience, but at least he’s never made a movie where a bunch of characters say “We’re a family, and that’s what this is about” or something stupid like that.

Also, I saw Oppenheimer yesterday. Another decent yet not mind-blowing Nolan escapade. I hated the intrusive score and the editing, but everything else was praiseworthy. Murphy was fantastic.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2023, 01:38:46 AM »

I'll just say that "The Dark Knight" (along with "Black Panther") are the most ridiculously overrated comic book movies ever.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2023, 03:23:29 PM »

Nolan is certainly a more thematic filmmaker...but I've always found that he makes them too obvious. The one that always comes to mind is: "you either die a hero, or see yourself become the villain" from 'The Dark Knight.' Yeah, Christopher, we get it, we were going to see that later in the movie.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2023, 03:45:45 PM »

Nolan is certainly a more thematic filmmaker...but I've always found that he makes them too obvious. The one that always comes to mind is: "you either die a hero, or see yourself become the villain" from 'The Dark Knight.' Yeah, Christopher, we get it, we were going to see that later in the movie.

Yeah, that's a fair critique of TDK. As I said I don't think this series has aged particularly well, and frankly I suspect Nolan is desperate to be remembered for something other than it. I think in this regard Oppenheimer is a massive step forward though - it says what needs to be said about the Manhattan project and its consequences, but it's also leaving a lot for the viewer to do in analyzing the motivations of its various participants. It doesn't spoon-feed you a simple historical narrative, but it also doesn't try to be vague and ambiguous for the sake of it. It has a clear message and a lot of questions. It feels like a much more mature work all around.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2023, 06:15:59 AM »

I've been a big fan of Nolans since 2008, I know a lot of people think he's overrated and I understand why. But his films are what made me start viewing films as art not just entertainment so he means a lot to me.

Here's my current ranking anyway having only seen Oppenheimer twice and so still unsure about how I'd rank it.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Interstellar
3. Oppenheimer
4. Memento
5. The Prestige
6. Dunkirk
7. Inception
8. Batman Begins
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Insomnia
11. Tenet
12. Following