Ben Shapiro burns Barbies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:15:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ben Shapiro burns Barbies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Ben Shapiro burns Barbies  (Read 3803 times)

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2023, 09:02:13 PM »

I sure am glad this thread about Barbie turned into 6 pages of arguing over why The Last Jedi sucked and whether movies can be ""objectively bad"" or not.

Come to think of it, even if this thread were to have stayed on topic, why would it even be in USGD in the first place?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2023, 10:01:24 PM »

Saw that this thread had expanded to seven pages. Braced myself for what I assumed was going to be an absolute flame War involving Bunches of gratuitous dunking on trans people. To my pleasant surprise it was merely Pages after pages of tail-chasing debate over how to objectively judge a movie and applying said standards or lack thereof to The Last Jedi.

Progress for Atlas I guess?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2023, 10:09:23 PM »

Saw that this thread had expanded to seven pages. Braced myself for what I assumed was going to be an absolute flame War involving Bunches of gratuitous dunking on trans people. To my pleasant surprise it was merely Pages after pages of tail-chasing debate over how to objectively judge a movie and applying said standards or lack thereof to The Last Jedi.

I mean debates over Star Wars can become just as heated as debates over trans issues too
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2023, 10:10:57 PM »

Why would this have been the case?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2023, 10:11:17 PM »

I mean debates over Star Wars can become just as heated as debates over trans issues too

I only block people on this site for their Star Wars opinions. I can forgive communism and fascism, but I’ll be damned if I sit here and listen to Disney fanboys.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2023, 10:29:40 PM »

This thread reminds me of when one of my friends convinced me to go watch Rise of Skywalker to the cinema in 2019. I had watched Force Awakens but not The Last Jedi so he spent like 20 minutes telling me in detail the plot of that movie so I wouldn't feel lost while watching the third one. In the end absolutely nothing that he told me in those 20 minutes had any relevance whatsoever to the movie we were watching. I thought it was funny. That movie was crap by the way.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2023, 10:30:58 PM »

This thread reminds me of when one of my friends convinced me to go watch Rise of Skywalker to the cinema in 2019. I had watched Force Awakens but not The Last Jedi so he spent like 20 minutes telling me in detail the plot of that movie so I wouldn't feel lost while watching the third one. In the end absolutely nothing that he told me in those 20 minutes had any relevance whatsoever to the movie we were watching. I thought it was funny. That movie was crap by the way.

The Fall of Star Wars makes The Last Jedi look like The Empire Strikes Back, yes.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2023, 11:06:54 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2023, 12:01:01 AM by Doug Burgum Sugar Baby »

I guess now that this is a Star Wars thread I'll chime in with my opinion: I thought that both Episode VIII and Episode IX were both god-awful. VII was better (by virtue of copying its best parts from the original Star Wars) but none of the trilogy was good.

I certainly am not going to claim that the movies are somehow "objectively bad" though.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2023, 11:18:09 PM »

The Fall of Star Wars makes The Last Jedi look like The Empire Strikes Back, yes.

The Rise of Skywalker makes Triumph of the Will look like The Birth of a Nation.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2023, 11:29:15 PM »

Once the credits started rolling for The Rise of Skywalker u had an urge to throw my empty popcorn bucket at the screen. I sort of slapped my hand to prevent it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2023, 12:10:16 AM »

Once the credits started rolling for The Rise of Skywalker u had an urge to throw my empty popcorn bucket at the screen. I sort of slapped my hand to prevent it.

By that point I was too drunk to care.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2023, 01:14:01 AM »

Because that's what Republicans do the last couple of years?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2023, 01:55:22 AM »

One (or maybe two?) of the Barbies in the movie are played by transwomen.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2023, 03:37:22 AM »

Honestly who cares?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2023, 03:42:24 AM »

Honestly who cares?

Cultural conservatives do. A LOT. If you go onto Youtube and you look up Barbie reviews, a lot of the right wingers are saying "this movie is inappropriate for children because there is a transwoman in it and therefore it's going to confuse kids and/or indoctrinate them".
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2023, 07:07:02 AM »

Honestly who cares?

Cultural conservatives do. A LOT. If you go onto Youtube and you look up Barbie reviews, a lot of the right wingers are saying "this movie is inappropriate for children because there is a transwoman in it and therefore it's going to confuse kids and/or indoctrinate them".

It definitely hasn't made it into the mainstream discourse then because this is the first I am hearing of it. Almost everyone I know wants to see the movie. I'm shocked by how diverse its appeal is. I think this is just another example of conservatives completely overplaying their hand on the woke/SJW issue and coming across as incoherent to normal people. Even for someone like me who unfortunately is well aware of how these idiots behave, it still seems bizarre and over-the-top for all these grown men to be screaming about how evil the Barbie movie is on the internet. It reminds me of all the cringe compilations that were made and universally laughed at a few years ago when a bunch of incels and conservatives were having meltdowns because a movie with Korean people in it won Best Picture at the Oscars. I think the anti-SJW movement was on its deathbed back in late 2019, but sadly it came back with a vengeance after the left went crazy with all the rioting, censorship, and race-baiting in 2020. I think it is collapsing again now, though, and hopefully for good this time. But all that is a rant for another thread I guess.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2023, 06:39:28 PM »

oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2023, 08:34:23 AM »

I sure am glad this thread about Barbie turned into 6 pages of arguing over why The Last Jedi sucked and whether movies can be ""objectively bad"" or not.

Come to think of it, even if this thread were to have stayed on topic, why would it even be in USGD in the first place?
Because Barbie is for little girls, and Star Wars for old boys.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2023, 08:40:59 AM »

Of course Barbie would have made money.

It's an aleady known brand for millions and millions of 6 year old girls, who will nag their parents to see it and they will say "why not, it's only a Barbie Doll".

Same demographic as Frozen, but the merchandising came first.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2023, 08:42:29 AM »

It's an aleady known brand for millions and millions of 6 year old girls, who will nag their parents to see it and they will say "why not, it's only a Barbie Doll".

Wow. It's almost like the audiences who gave it overwhelming reviews leading to increased box office traffic all must have fallen asleep at the beginning of the movie and just reported about a dream they had instead.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2023, 09:02:31 AM »

Wow. It's almost like the audiences who gave it overwhelming reviews leading to increased box office traffic all must have fallen asleep at the beginning of the movie and just reported about a dream they had instead.
Let me put it this way:

If the movie wasn't called Barbie and the script had no Barbie names in it, would it have made money ?

Certainly less money.

It's all about the Brand, like the Star Wars prequels-sequels, or designer products.

Some people just buy the logo on a product, regardless of product quality.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2023, 10:07:19 AM »

Surely, the fact that I had no idea is in itself a victory, no?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2023, 10:38:25 AM »

Let me put it this way:

If the movie wasn't called Barbie and the script had no Barbie names in it, would it have made money ?

Certainly less money.

It's all about the Brand, like the Star Wars prequels-sequels, or designer products.

Some people just buy the logo on a product, regardless of product quality.

“If you took the central premise out of the movie and had none of the same characters would it have made money”
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2023, 10:50:23 AM »

Fun fact: the only Star Wars film I've watched the whole way through in one sitting is The Last Jedi. I didn't even know it was that hated tbh.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2023, 10:21:00 PM »

https://www.ft.com/content/f3eaa24f-cd66-476f-815f-6d0536b34d62

Cinemas across China have increased showings of Barbie, which analysts say stands out among the patriotic and male-led action fare that dominates the Chinese box office, one of the world’s biggest film markets. The number of Barbie showings jumped from 9,673 on July 21, the first day of release, to about 36,000 on July 27, according to data from Chinese ticketing platform Maoyan.

Benji thought it'd flop in China, lol. No, what flops in China is artsy stuff that Chinese audiences don't understand and things with black people.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies