What is wrong with moving to places based on politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:09:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is wrong with moving to places based on politics?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is wrong with moving to places based on politics?  (Read 2989 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »

Being around people who like Bush really bugs the hell out of me. I love walking through some streets in Minneapolis and seeing anti-Bush signs and bumper stickers everywhere. Places where everyone is united in hatred of Bush always give me a good feeling.

You do realize that Bush stops being important in any way in 656 days?

656 days too long in alot of our opinions... Personally, to expand on my earlier statement, I love living here in Oakland... It's gonna be hell with this huge construction project coming up, but that's how it goes I guess... I walk or take the bus anyway... Politically, this area is really liberal, given the large student population... You guys should've seen the anti-war protest... Regardless of your opinion, it was quite a sight to behold... There were alot of people there.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 10:08:37 AM »

Being around people who like Bush really bugs the hell out of me. I love walking through some streets in Minneapolis and seeing anti-Bush signs and bumper stickers everywhere. Places where everyone is united in hatred of Bush always give me a good feeling.

You do realize that Bush stops being important in any way in 656 days?

But there's still the Republicans in general.

Here's another point too, wouldn't it be really frustrating having to watch your party lose every election?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »

It would be... Of course I've lived in a place where the Democrats basically have dominated since the Great Depression. In fact, where I grew up, Monongahela hasn't elected a Republican to anything since 1940, in fact there were, when I last checked, only two registered Republicans that vote at my precint. Pittsburgh has been dominated by Democrats since about the time David L. Lawrence became Mayor... Since then, we've had Democrats such as Scully, Barr, Flahrety, Caliguri, Masloff, Murphy, O'Connor, and now America's youngest Mayor, Ravensthal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »

I often think of how frustrating it must be to be a Democrat in Texas, and the complete feeling of powerlessness you'd always have in NEVER electing someone to a statewide office.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »

There's nothing wrong with it, if that's genuinely what you consider to be a crucial deciding factor.  Most people base their decisions on more relevant and important things, but it's your life.

What's not relevant about it? You hold your political views because that's how you want things ran. Why not live in a place generally ran according to the policies you prefer?

I don't care.  Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it if you consider it to be important, and it's your life, not mine.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »

On the overall level I don't really know why someone would want to move to a place where everyone agrees with them on political issues, it seems to be to be the same sort of thing as moving to a place that is 100% white just because you don't like minorities.

While I think that it's good not to totally avoid people of a different ideologies, ideology is definitely more relevant than skin color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

It seems to be completely relevant to millions of Americans who fled American cities for new almost totally white suburbs.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

On the overall level I don't really know why someone would want to move to a place where everyone agrees with them on political issues, it seems to be to be the same sort of thing as moving to a place that is 100% white just because you don't like minorities.

While I think that it's good not to totally avoid people of a different ideologies, ideology is definitely more relevant than skin color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

It seems to be completely relevant to millions of Americans who fled American cities for new almost totally white suburbs.

Of course it happens. My point was that skin color should not be relevant, while it's OK for ideology to be a factor.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 04:14:16 PM »

To me, I don't see why I would look at voter registration to look at where to live.  I live in a ward that went more than 90% for Kerry in a city that went more than 80% for Kerry.  I voted for Bush.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »

Culture is also a valid reason to move. THat's why I'd MUCH rather be living in SoCal than west NY.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 04:43:37 PM »

Why can I, despite the fact that he changes screen names daily, manage to always pick out the threads that BRTD has posted?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »

ESP.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

Or the strench of failure emanating from his threads.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 12:15:39 PM »

Nothing's wrong with it, but it shouldn't be the only reason to move somewhere.

True, I'd want to move to a more libertarian-conservative place, but the cost of living, the WEATHER, and the population (want a city, not a suburb-even if the city isn't that big), oh plus somewhere I could mutually agree to move with friends to is nice...

Did someone over IM insinuate that moving to Minneapolis is a dumb idea?  Tell them to piss off...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »

Did someone over IM insinuate that moving to Minneapolis is a dumb idea?  Tell them to piss off...

No. It's just the constant condemnation of people moving to other places because they prefer the politics there on this forum
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »

Because I don't see anything wrong with it. If you can't stand being around Republican there's no reason you should put up with it just because you happened to be born in such an area.

Nothing wrong with moving if your politics outweight most of the other criteria associated with living.  However, don't go crying if you cannot find the same level of work/pay just because you moved.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies