How would Jeb Bush have done?

(1/4) > >>

Redban:
The book "Game Change" says that Repubs were unhappy with the 2012 primary candidates, including Romney. Christie was the first choice for large donors and the establishment, but Jeb was another name, alongside Mitch Daniels, whom people wanted to run

My hunch is that Jeb sat out 2012 because he knew Obama was hard to beat, and he preferred the open field of 2016.

Do you think, hindsight 20-20, that Jeb should have ran in 2012? Do you think he could have won or, at least, done better than Romney? Could he have beaten Mitt Romney in a primary match up in 2012?

The major downside, of course, is that Dubya was still toxic in 2012, so Jeb would've had to work hard to overcome his surname

Vosem:
Jeb was never going to be President, and in fact never going to win the Republican primary, after the GWB Administration. It kind of just is what it is.

Daniels would've been a dream President but I'm really not sure any Republican was beating Obama in 2012. Christie would of course have been awful.

Mr.Phips:
Quote from: Vosem on June 23, 2023, 02:25:39 PM

Jeb was never going to be President, and in fact never going to win the Republican primary, after the GWB Administration. It kind of just is what it is.

Daniels would've been a dream President but I'm really not sure any Republican was beating Obama in 2012. Christie would of course have been awful.

Daniels had the charisma of a pine cone.  He wouldn’t have done any better than Romney.

Vosem:
Quote from: Mr.Phips on June 23, 2023, 02:56:31 PM

Quote from: Vosem on June 23, 2023, 02:25:39 PM

Daniels had the charisma of a pine cone.  He wouldn’t have done any better than Romney.

I suspect he might've done much better than Romney at being President. I think I agree that as candidate he would've had very few advantages over Romney.

Ragnaroni:
As much as I personally like the Bushes, their name was a massive turnoff to the average GOP voter. From H.W Bush getting beat by Clinton to 2008-2009 with Dubya and the War on Terror. These factors would contribute to independents and moderate Republicans abstaining or defecting to the Obama camp. Romney wasn't a Bush but he wasn't a great candidate. A better Republican would've done better but a Bush would've done worse than Romney 2012.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page