Why is Arkansas less conservative than other southern states? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:13:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why is Arkansas less conservative than other southern states? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Arkansas less conservative than other southern states?  (Read 7374 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: March 30, 2007, 07:06:20 AM »

I don't really think that Arkansas is much less socially conservative than other Southern states outside the Deep South. Also, unlike Tenn., N.C., and Va., it doesn't have any liberal pockets. The fact that it is less Republican on the national level probably has more to do with economic liberalism and partisan politics.
The fact that there aren't any real liberal pockets - and the fact that there's a sizeable very Republican pocket - have a lot do with it, I suppose. Helps in painting the Reps as the party of wackos.

Yeah, it's pretty weird. Even in 2004, Dems took about 30% of the self-described born again Christian vote in the state. Elsewhere in the US, it's closer 10%, sometimes 15% (according to exit polls. In some states, the question is for White Conservative Protestant instead. Sorry, don't have a link).
I suppose that right at the time when most of the remaining social conservatives deserted the Democratic Party in the second half of the 90s, the US happened to have an Arkansas president who remained insanely popular in his homestate, even with social conservatives, and that by the time he was out of office, the realignment had essentially ended.

But Gustaf's point about a small suburban population is also important.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:41:28 PM »

Hmmm... checking the state's population developments over the past seventy years by county... Arkansas does have a LARGE suburban population.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »

Yeah...northwest Arkansas is pretty much one giant suburban development.  Arkansas has a very significant suburban population.
Well northwest Arkansas is Republican anyways... but check the center of the state: Saline, Garland (with an older urban core of course), Faulkner, Lonoke...
Hmmm... checking the state's population developments over the past seventy years by county... Arkansas does have a LARGE suburban population.
But it has only developed relatively lately, so the GOP didn't have the historical suburban base to build on like they did in some other southern states.
Indeed. Very astute.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:53:59 AM »

One could turn that around and ask why so many billionairs (Trump, Soros, Lewis, etc) support Democrats, buy hey, their billionairs, what's going to effect them. 
I am NOT a billionaire.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »

I should point out that I was going more by historical data in my comment on suburbs. Suburbanization was largely responsible for states like Virginia, Tennessee, Florida and Texas swinging towards the Republicans in the 50s and 60s.
Oh yes, in that sense it's valid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies