Do you see any major shifts in the next decade?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:09:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Do you see any major shifts in the next decade?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Do you see any major shifts in the next decade?  (Read 15181 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »

yeah, for people who spent a considerable amount of time debating politics, we can't predict jack.

And yet we LITERALLY talk about places that are trending a certain way as if they're already safe for that party, haha.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2019, 03:19:00 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2019, 03:33:30 PM by Old School Republican »

yeah, for people who spent a considerable amount of time debating politics, we can't predict jack.

And yet we LITERALLY talk about places that are trending a certain way as if they're already safe for that party, haha.

Yah if TrendsAreReal were around back then he would be talking about how anyone who doesnt believe GA would become even more safely Republican by the end of the 2010s and Michigan would become Safe D by the end of the 2010s are stuck in the past

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2019, 03:42:34 PM »

Why did most people think Texas would not Trend even slightly Dem, I mean its pretty obvious Bush's margins in Texas was inflated due to him being from Texas so even if you take that inflated margin away then that would mean it would trend slightly D
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2019, 12:10:18 AM »

The only map acceptable to the forum:

I don't understand why we'll have any more elections, actually, since they will always be based on 2004 and how liberal-trending the west is.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 03:18:15 AM »

(trend; red for GOP and blue for Dems; green =  no trend)

Image Link

No offense but that map is ridiculous. There's lots of reasons but I'll just give the most obvious for now: Georgia trending Democratic.

As for your reasoning for Maine, that applies to every state except 3, South Dakota, Vermont and North Carolina, so it's hardly proof of a trend and is a perfect example of what I call the "trend line fallacy". There is no reason to expect a shift from one election to the next to continue indefinitely, for example despite the delusions of GOP hacks, West Virginia is certainly not going to keep voting from now on like it did in 2004.

And one look at our state legislature results (including in 2004, a generally good GOP year) doesn't give much evidence of Minnesota trending Republican (something the Republicans are beginning to realize. I heard about the "Republican trend" in Minnesota nonstop before 2004, not so much after that and no more after 2006.)
Truly, an Atlas elections genius.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »

Image Link

No offense but that map is ridiculous. There's lots of reasons but I'll just give the most obvious for now: Georgia trending Democratic.

As for your reasoning for Maine, that applies to every state except 3, South Dakota, Vermont and North Carolina, so it's hardly proof of a trend and is a perfect example of what I call the "trend line fallacy". There is no reason to expect a shift from one election to the next to continue indefinitely, for example despite the delusions of GOP hacks, West Virginia is certainly not going to keep voting from now on like it did in 2004.

And one look at our state legislature results (including in 2004, a generally good GOP year) doesn't give much evidence of Minnesota trending Republican (something the Republicans are beginning to realize. I heard about the "Republican trend" in Minnesota nonstop before 2004, not so much after that and no more after 2006.)
No Republican has won a statewide election in Minnesota since that post.
Jalawest2

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2019, 01:45:01 AM »

Image Link

How are those West Virginia and Georgia predictions working out for you?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

Image Link

West Virginia was wrong, Georgia did not begin trending D until much later than that post was made.
Jalawest2

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2019, 01:07:35 AM »

Image Link

West Virginia was wrong, Georgia did not begin trending D until much later than that post was made.
2016-2007=what again?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2019, 02:14:33 AM »

Actually, GA began trending D in 2008.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2019, 02:57:20 AM »

It’s shocking how little time GA was actually a Republican state as downballot it was Democratic until 2002 and Presidential since 2000(it was a swing state in the 90s).

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2019, 08:55:35 PM by Skill and Chance »

It’s shocking how little time GA was actually a Republican state as downballot it was Democratic until 2002 and Presidential since 2000(it was a swing state in the 90s).

It is very possible that GOP dominance of certain Southern states will look like a brief historical anomaly looking back from say, 2050.

In Virginia, easily the most Republican leaning Southern state during the mid-late 20th century, Democrats still controlled everything at the state level as recently as 1993.  Republicans only had 4 total years of trifecta control, from 2000-2001 and 2012-13, and the latter time, they needed the Republican LG to break ties in the state senate!  At least VA Republicans had the 1968-2004 streak at the presidential level, and the early wins in 52/56/60.

In North Carolina, Republican control has only been from 2013-17 thus far and it voted for Obama in 2008, breaking the 1980-2004 streak.

Even in Texas, the Republican trifecta only dates to 2003 and could plausibly be broken with the 2020 (state house of representatives) or 2022 (governor) elections.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »

(trend; red for GOP and blue for Dems; green =  no trend)

Image Link

Top quality lmao, this is pure gold
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

Look, I'm sure we can all agree the southwest is trending Democratic.

For the most part yes.

As for the midwest trending GOP and parts of the south trending Democratic, I think that makes sense because of changes in population distribution. If more people move to southern states, I think that will generally make them more Democratic

No, not at all. The results in Georgia over the past few years are the perfect example of why not, Georgia is trending HARD to the Republicans, and the gains are mostly in the fast growing areas. Take a look at the results in Forsyth County over time. That's actually why I found the map so amusing, Georgia is one of the fastest Republican trending states in the country and may soon be more Republican than Texas at this rate.

It's true in a few areas (like NOVA and parts of North Carolina), but hardly true at large.

(and less people in midwestern states should generally make them more GOP).

I have no clue where the idea behind this comes from.

hehe
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »

80% red = trending Dem. rapidly
40% red = trending Dem. slowly
gray = staying put
40% blue = trending Rep. slowly
80% blue = trending Rep. rapidly

my god this man got about every state wrong didn't he
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »

Gay, idyllic Vermont is trending deplorable (mainly due to its small population of ethnic minorities), and will decide an election for the GOP (a la Florida in 2000) in 2028 or earlier.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »

Latinos slowly but surely becoming more R
iceman
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2020, 04:02:58 AM »

Latinos slowly but surely becoming more R