Should Guantanamo be given back to Cuba?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:42:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Guantanamo be given back to Cuba?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

No, it should become a state

No, we should invade Cuba

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Should Guantanamo be given back to Cuba?  (Read 1487 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2023, 04:03:24 PM »

What do you think? Is it time?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 08:39:29 PM »

No. Shut down the prison but keep it as a military base for intelligence-gathering purposes.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 09:12:30 PM »

Yes, it is Cuban territory
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 11:18:19 PM »

Yes (human, not a goose)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 01:32:20 AM »

Yes
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 02:04:01 AM »

Yes. If the Cubans one day decide they want a US base in their territory as friends that's fine, but every country should have a choice in that regard. Their sovereignity and integrity as a country must be respected.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 02:13:32 AM »

Absolutely not , and especially not to a communist state like Cuba
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 10:23:11 AM »

It should be given back to the Spanish
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 02:09:31 PM »

Why do all these people with avatars of American states think that America should voluntarily cede a valuable military outpost to an enemy state.  I get that anti-Americanism is popular and all these days, and everyone thinks Cuba is actually a cool place, but seriously?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 02:39:58 PM »

Why do all these people with avatars of American states think that America should voluntarily cede a valuable military outpost to an enemy state.  I get that anti-Americanism is popular and all these days, and everyone thinks Cuba is actually a cool place, but seriously?
The Cold War ended in 1991 my friend
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »

Why do all these people with avatars of American states think that America should voluntarily cede a valuable military outpost to an enemy state.  I get that anti-Americanism is popular and all these days, and everyone thinks Cuba is actually a cool place, but seriously?

I think you're woefully mistaking the mood. No one could mistake me for an ant-American. After all, I stand for the flag and kneel for the cross (NATO flag, NATO cross).

But the fact that we're mostly on the same side these days doesn't make liberals and neocons one and the same. Neocons are all about national interest this, our nation's enemies that. It just so happens that the national interests they view today include supporting liberal democracies. Liberals stand for values - freedom, human rights, a global rules-based order. As a liberal, I can't condone simply holding land that by all rights belongs to another country, unless there are real and extreme circumstances that make it a necessary evil. Cuba is a problematic country, but it's far from the worst, both in its hostility to the US (which could be much reduced with some bravery from US leaders) and its human rights record. There's no good excuse for Guantanamo.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 02:58:40 PM »

No. Shut down the prison but keep it as a military base for intelligence-gathering purposes.

Agreed. Keeping the military base is stategically a net plus.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 03:01:42 PM »

there's no good reason to consider Cuba an enemy state
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 03:01:42 PM »

The communist party  is still a threat , it’s just that the main communist party capital is in Beijing instead of Moscow .
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 03:13:30 PM »

The communist party  is still a threat , it’s just that the main communist party capital is in Beijing instead of Moscow .

We're talking about Cuba here, not China
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 03:19:06 PM »

We're talking about Cuba here, not China

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna88721

Cuba is a puppet of China so they do post a direct threat to us .

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2023, 04:28:29 PM »

Because it's a violation of territorial integrity?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 06:06:29 PM »

Comparing the Stalin-era Comintern to the relationship between China and Cuba doesn't make any sense.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 07:06:08 PM »

It should become the 53rd state with DC and PR
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 07:20:02 PM »

Comparing the Stalin-era Comintern to the relationship between China and Cuba doesn't make any sense.
Yeah you guys really are overestimating the control Stalin had over the Comintern, even during WWII it wasn’t a strongly unified body by any means.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2023, 07:32:48 PM »

That doesn’t mean Cuba isn’t still an enemy. It is and it deserves to be treated as one.
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2023, 07:43:21 PM »

That doesn’t mean Cuba isn’t still an enemy. It is and it deserves to be treated as one.

Lmao
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2023, 07:55:54 PM »

Why exactly?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2023, 05:05:02 AM »

Why?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2023, 08:55:17 AM »

Nah. The prison should be shut down though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies