Should Germany move to a FPTP system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:04:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should Germany move to a FPTP system
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should Germany move to a FPTP system  (Read 1677 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2023, 04:55:17 PM »

I'm pro proportional representation but I do think the argument that PR obfuscates democracy does have some merit. After all in systems where all governments are coalition governments, party manifestos have no direct relationship to governance polices with those deals instead being worked out in smoke-filled rooms. I just think that flaw is superior to the FPTP flaw where canidates who win a minority of the vote are often crowed the winner.

I don’t really see FPTP being better at deliver anything, in fact they tend to be worse at it.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2023, 04:58:38 PM »

I'm pro proportional representation but I do think the argument that PR obfuscates democracy does have some merit. After all in systems where all governments are coalition governments, party manifestos have no direct relationship to governance polices with those deals instead being worked out in smoke-filled rooms. I just think that flaw is superior to the FPTP flaw where canidates who win a minority of the vote are often crowed the winner.

I don’t really see FPTP being better at deliver anything, in fact they tend to be worse at it.
It's more a defense of a two-party system that FPTP enables, that it gives the electorate a clear choice regarding what policies will be implement and who will have responsibility for the government over the uncertainty of PR.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2023, 05:11:10 PM »

It's more a defense of a two-party system that FPTP enables, that it gives the electorate a clear choice regarding what policies will be implement and who will have responsibility for the government over the uncertainty of PR.

Except FPTP in practice fails to deliver on that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2023, 05:12:03 PM »

You probably could crush Linke and AFD with such a system

Both parties are a result of the east west divide, and would therefore exist in an FPTP system?
Angel of Death
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2023, 11:50:23 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2023, 11:57:20 AM by Angel of Death »

It was kind of funny how because Old School Republican could obviously not offer first-past-the-past as the glorious solution to the sorry state of affairs that is the contemporary United Kingdom, he had to go the other de-democratization route of proposing a change of its form of government to a presidential system instead. And by "funny" I mean pathetic.

Because the pattern should be very clear now to anyone who has been paying the least amount of attention to world affairs: The more presidential the government or less proportionally elected the legislature, the less democratic and more corrupt the country. And the causation goes both ways.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if OSR's "solution" to the woes of a country with both FPTP and a popularly elected president is to have the latter be elected by an electoral college instead.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies