Thoughts on the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:55:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Thoughts on the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thoughts on the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence?  (Read 1149 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2023, 05:21:05 PM »

Recently this LGBT group was in the news, as the Los Angeles Dodgers rescinded an invitation to the Sisters after backlash from conservative Catholic groups. After concern expressed by a lot of different other LGBT groups, the Dodgers actually apologized and offered again an invitation for the Sisters to come to Dodger Stadium for accepting a community award for their charitable acts. This led to another cycle of backlash.

Was curious to get this forum's thoughts on the Sisters as a group, since as I understand it they were essentially formed as a kind of satire of a religious order and morphed into a sincere quasi-spiritual order, which is an interesting path to take.

As a straight guy I don't have skin in the game here, but as a friend to several LGBT Christians (and traditional Christians too, in a liturgical sense), I find this group kind of interesting.

I do personally find their whole Easter themed contests ("Hunky Jesus" and so on) to be pretty...trivializing?...of the Crucifixion. Ultimately that's part of the satirical element, I suppose. However, I do think the hyperbole about them being a "hate group" is so wildly out of touch, and the Dodgers were perfectly good to invite them to the Stadium in the first place. The whole controversy is more evidence of the deep contempt that social conservatives have for anything related to drag.

Not doing a poll because I always feel those are too binary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisters_of_Perpetual_Indulgence
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 06:48:47 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2023, 06:54:08 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

I'm not sure why a baseball team would be publicly supporting an anti-religious organization, but I guess it's a testament to the success of rainbow capitalism that it was profitable to do so.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 08:44:24 PM »

An insult to Catholicism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 10:27:30 AM »

I'm curious what their sincere quasi-spiritual bent is that they find it compatible with openly mocking ascetics who have dedicated their lives to Christ.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »

I'm curious what their sincere quasi-spiritual bent is that they find it compatible with openly mocking ascetics who have dedicated their lives to Christ.

Openly mocking ascetics is one of the great traditions of Protestantism.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 01:08:20 PM »

Awesome organization. Calling them a hate group is hilarious cope.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 06:29:01 PM »

If they're a hate group, then what is the Catholic Church?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 02:34:34 PM »

They have been around for over forty years and were a pillar during the AIDs crisis. They've done more for LGBT rights and people's individual welfare than most religious groups.

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »

Openly mocking ascetics is one of the great traditions of Protestantism.
I'm sure that there are Protestant ascetics.

jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 07:24:32 PM »

They have been around for over forty years and were a pillar during the AIDs crisis. They've done more for LGBT rights and people's individual welfare than most religious groups.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-community-voices/hidden-mercy-shines-light-nuns-priests-responded-aids-compassion-rcna5780

Often times, it was and has been the religious sisters who have been the staunchest advocates for LGBT people and victims of AIDS in the Catholic Church.

https://www.newwaysministry.org/2023/03/31/6000-catholic-sisters-issue-statement-of-solidarity-with-transgender-community/

https://blog.providence.org/blog-2/how-catholic-sisters-created-homes-for-people-with-aids

What the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence is just stereotypes and mocks Religious Sisters, while stories of actual nuns and sisters go unnoticed.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 03:56:42 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2023, 05:12:44 AM by afleitch »

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-community-voices/hidden-mercy-shines-light-nuns-priests-responded-aids-compassion-rcna5780

Often times, it was and has been the religious sisters who have been the staunchest advocates for LGBT people and victims of AIDS in the Catholic Church.

https://www.newwaysministry.org/2023/03/31/6000-catholic-sisters-issue-statement-of-solidarity-with-transgender-community/

https://blog.providence.org/blog-2/how-catholic-sisters-created-homes-for-people-with-aids

What the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence is just stereotypes and mocks Religious Sisters, while stories of actual nuns and sisters go unnoticed.

They don't go unnoticed. And if they do it's often from the Church itself if the provision of pastoral care is a contrary act.

The celebration and affirmation of LGBT people is in itself an 'anti-Catholic' act if you want to play that game and the trope of people dressing up as 'nuns' is as old as the sea.

I also know exactly why a group most people have heard of until this summer are in the public consciousness.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 09:20:18 AM »

This … seems like a biased view.  Religious organizations are essentially important for things like charity work, caring for the homeless and even daycare … not to mention the immense historical importance of them in founding many of our best universities and health systems.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 11:47:27 AM »

This … seems like a biased view.  Religious organizations are essentially important for things like charity work, caring for the homeless and even daycare … not to mention the immense historical importance of them in founding many of our best universities and health systems.

I don't think I'm being biased in saying that religious groups have on balance, done less for LGBT rights and LGBT people (which was the context under which I was talking about 'individual welfare') than LGBT advocacy groups.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »

I don't think I'm being biased in saying that religious groups have on balance, done less for LGBT rights and LGBT people (which was the context under which I was talking about 'individual welfare') than LGBT advocacy groups.

Apologies then, as your “and people’s individual welfare” part read to me like it was everyone’s individual welfare, not just that community.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 03:24:58 PM »

Apologies then, as your “and people’s individual welfare” part read to me like it was everyone’s individual welfare, not just that community.

That's okay. Reading back I could have phrased that better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies