Is anyone else EXCITED that student loan repayments will resume?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is anyone else EXCITED that student loan repayments will resume?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Is anyone else EXCITED that student loan repayments will resume?  (Read 1684 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2023, 03:04:19 AM »

No. Why would anyone who doesn't work for a student loan servicer be excited about it? The normal spectrum of emotion is angry or afraid (downwardly-mobile raised-middle-class blah blah blah, we're all familiar with the talking points and stereotypes) through "meh" (most Americans) to pleased but not incandescently so (Vosem, Dule, probably dead0 and other strongly anti-debtor posters). Being downright excited about other people paying creditors, when you aren't one of their creditors yourself, is Dickens villain territory.

New username spotted.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2023, 03:46:03 AM »

with all due RESPECT to everyone I even stated in the first post that I support targeted loan forgiveness, and even 10k forgiveness.

Just a few years ago, that was not even entirely a broad consensus in the Democratic Party.

my point is, we should have NEVER expected the "pause" to be going on FOREVER.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 07:34:38 AM »

You have to be one sick individual to cheer for people falling victim to a predatory system.
not as sick as the people who think the govt funding student loans is a predatory system yet only want the govt to hand out free money and not, ya know, fix the alleged predatory system

If you can find me any living human being who believes student loans should be forgiven but not that public colleges should be tuition free, I would be very surprised.
<I have so many angles to take, not sure which one to go with..>
so which method of "free" college do you support, the one that would be stupid expensive and no country on Earth has tried or the one that would piss the "everything is racist!" crowd off by mostly letting Asians, a handful of mostly upper class white and a token number from all other demographics go to college for free?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 09:41:14 AM »

No. And any serious Democratic administration would cancel all student debt immediately.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 12:35:28 PM »

No. And any serious Democratic administration would cancel all student debt immediately.

Biden was a low key genius here. He started forgiveness with a more dubious law (heros act) that could lack standing from plaintiffs, and when the SCOTUS rules against it, he has another trick up his sleeves. The less dubious higher education act.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2023, 07:31:09 PM »

I am surprised at the backlash I had in this thread.

I moved to the LEFT on this issue.

Now, I do support 10 to 25k forgiveness based on circumstances and income. Why?

1) Back in the time of March 2020, it was not that unreasonable to include 10k forgiveness in a covid relief bill.

2) It was a campaign pledge by Joe Biden, so he needs to fulfil it. If the SCOTUS overturns it based on the Heros act, I hope he does it again via proper administrative channels through the Higher EDUCATION Act.

3) It is a necessary EVIL to resume student payments. Many people have spent the last 2 and a half years assuming they will have some forgiveness. In addition, the lower balances of the student debt will have a moderating effect on the economy. Large student loan payments could SLOW the economy down further than we want, but the causing people to repay the student loans with lowering balances can help moderate INFLATION a bit.

4) Honestly, college has been oversold. Red states like Tennesse and Missouri, Blue states like California, light blue states like Virginia have programs that pay for community college and certificate programs. We should ABOLISH the federal student loan program, except for the poorest and/or most intelligent kids.  Most Jobs Do Not Need A Four Year Degree.

Essentially, I think an entire generation or two has been scammed into believing college is the only way to success.

What I do oppose is wiping out ALL student debt, continuing the student loan program as in, and continuously pausing payments forever.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2023, 06:17:21 AM »

As I said before it's IDR 20 yr forgiveness that Obama created during 2012 so that after a 2 yr Forbearance or 2 yr Income sensitive you don't have to pay back your student loans its paygo and if you make under 32K you pay little or nothing back your student loans

Everyone aren't paying back their loan
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2023, 09:53:23 AM »

I am still very EXCITED, even if I am not a fan of the courts decision.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2023, 12:06:21 PM »

As we said before, it’s incredibly weird and cruel to be excited that a lot of people will suddenly be saddled with debt.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2023, 02:54:03 PM »

As we said before, it’s incredibly weird and cruel to be excited that a lot of people will suddenly be saddled with debt.

I am the one open to COMPROMISE on this issue, and made it clear earlier in the thread that overturn biden's executive via courts is/was dubious.

it is just the pro-cancellation people want all student debt wiped out, payments paused FOREVER, and even PAY people to go to college. As if we need more people with college degrees. We have enough people with degrees.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2023, 04:27:13 PM »

One thing to factor in is the charlatans who encourage 18 year olds to start taking on debt that they will never realistically be able to pay, and cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, so they subject to the largess of government, are indentured servants for life. The whole concept, is bad, bad, bad, and I would shut it all down. The charlatans need their own skin in the game, so if the loans cannot be paid back without undue hardship if at all, they themselves lose money - enough money that it really hurts so their behavior does a 180 degree turn.

I am excited that this might be one step in flushing the whole stinking pile down the toilet.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2023, 04:51:08 PM »

I am at least glad that Biden is not acting like a Republican on this issue, and the “Democrats” who are doing so are clearly in the minority.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »

"Excited" is maybe the weirdest way you possibly could have described this.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2023, 01:06:43 AM »

I am the one open to COMPROMISE on this issue, and made it clear earlier in the thread that overturn biden's executive via courts is/was dubious.

it is just the pro-cancellation people want all student debt wiped out, payments paused FOREVER, and even PAY people to go to college. As if we need more people with college degrees. We have enough people with degrees.

That still doesn't mean you should be excited about it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2023, 01:20:30 AM »

That still doesn't mean you should be excited about it.

student loan forgiveness

MASKS

one way signs in grocery stores

TEMPERATURE checks

wiping down amazon packages with clorox WIPES

virtual schooling

closed businesses

arbitrary six feet social DISTANCE

people thinking TOILET paper protects them from covid

myself siding with the RePublicans on the most visible issue

yikkkesss someone help me!!! I STILL HAVE PTSd From covidd
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2023, 07:59:35 AM »

Yes actually.

But I'm a very special case because it allow me to extend my job and not be laid off for now and likely able to get big overtime money.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2023, 08:08:21 PM »

My inner accelerationist is.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2023, 02:46:31 AM »

student loan forgiveness

MASKS

one way signs in grocery stores

TEMPERATURE checks

wiping down amazon packages with clorox WIPES

virtual schooling

closed businesses

arbitrary six feet social DISTANCE

people thinking TOILET paper protects them from covid

myself siding with the RePublicans on the most visible issue

yikkkesss someone help me!!! I STILL HAVE PTSd From covidd

All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jimmie a dull boy.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2023, 10:52:29 AM »

No. Why would anyone who doesn't work for a student loan servicer be excited about it? The normal spectrum of emotion is angry or afraid (downwardly-mobile raised-middle-class blah blah blah, we're all familiar with the talking points and stereotypes) through "meh" (most Americans) to pleased but not incandescently so (Vosem, Dule, probably dead0 and other strongly anti-debtor posters). Being downright excited about other people paying creditors, when you aren't one of their creditors yourself, is Dickens villain territory.

Because of lower inflation ?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2023, 10:20:50 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/student-loan-interest-resume-inching-closer-end-loan/story?id=102797773

Woooo hooo!!! Interest accumulation is about to resume on student LOANS. Yay!!!!!!!!
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2023, 11:58:12 AM »

I went to an obscure military grad school rather than taking out zillions in loans to go to the prestigious private schools I was admitted to, and I've never looked back. But I wouldn't wish ill on others out of some zero-sum Machiavellian desire for "fairness" in making them suffer for decades to repay their loans. The higher education system's costs are absurd and should be reformed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies