SR 113-36: Domestic Tranquility Amendment for Atlasia (Amendment Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:01:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 113-36: Domestic Tranquility Amendment for Atlasia (Amendment Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SR 113-36: Domestic Tranquility Amendment for Atlasia (Amendment Vote)  (Read 3516 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2023, 09:02:31 PM »
« edited: June 05, 2023, 05:34:54 PM by Just Passion Through »

An Amendment to the Fifth Constitution of Atlasia
To truly preserve the stability, integrity, and democratic nature of the Republic by excluding the disruptive force to the very foundation of Atlasia itself

Section 1. Title

This shall be known as the Domestic Tranquility Amendment for Atlasia.

Article I of the Constitution of Atlasia shall be amended as follows:

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the Republic of Atlasia, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, except those explicitly listed on Article I, Section 15, are citizens of the Republic of Atlasia and of the Region in which they reside, and shall in all cases be afforded equal protection under the law.

Section 15.

Although no Bill of attainder may be passed by either the Senate or the Regions, this Constitution reserves the exceptional right to exclude individuals from citizenship in the Republic of Atlasia, in order to preserve the stability, integrity, and democratic nature of the Republic.

The following individuals under their current or future username or verified sock accounts of the listed individuals, are hereby listed as excluded from such rights in perpetuity and shall not be permitted to hold any office, elected or appointed, or vote in any election, in any region or any other entity under jurisdiction of this Constitution:

-TexasConservative, also known as Young Texan.

Article VIII of the Constitution of Atlasia shall be amended as follows:

Section 2. Supremacy of the Atlas Forum.
1. Actions taken by Administrators or Moderators of the Atlas Forum are separate and distinct from their actions as citizens of Atlasia and they shall not be restricted, nor obstructed by Atlasian constitutional or statutory provision, in their enforcement of the Terms of Service by Atlasian constitutional or statutory provision.
2. Nothing in this section shall be construed as to provide immunity to moderators who violate any
statutory provision that does not conflict with or obstruct enforcement of the terms of service.
3. Administrators and Moderators of the Atlas Forum shall be permitted to declare an account to be a sock account for the purpose of compliance with Article I, Section 15.

Amendment Explanation

The addition of Section 15 to Article I establishes a mechanism to ensure that individuals who threaten the very existence of this game we know and love as Atlasia can be banned through the highest legal means there is -- the amending process of the federal Constitution. The addition of the third clause to Article VIII, Section 2 allows the forum moderators and administrators to be able to enforce the banning of users through sock checks as a banned user may make a sock account to go around the game ban.
Sponsor: Louisville Thunder

The gentleman from Kentucky is recognized.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 09:40:30 PM »

Does this mean that YT could still be registered? Not that there would be any real benefit to it, but I think it's unclear.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 05:01:06 AM »

I'm on LOA but i want to write my opinion here.

I just don't think this is a good idea, or at least not until as long the court case is ongoing. I believe it's 99% certain YT will get indicted and convicted, and there he would face a 2 or 3 year ban from holding office and voting. So I don't think there's a need for a constitutional amendment, have some trust in the process of the courts. Secondly, i don't like the precedent of banning someone via the constitution. I mean if someone has a 2/3rd majority, they can ban anyone they don't like this way. And it has already been proposed by some on the right that are accused to ban Griffin and Windjammer. And while yes, it's unlikely they would ever get a majority, i just don't like the precedent of banning someone this way.

At the moment, there's an alternative way where YT faces a 3 yr ban already. And given the constitutional amendment doesn't even include a registration ban it seems kinda redundant or pointless.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 06:53:41 AM »

I'm on LOA but i want to write my opinion here.

I just don't think this is a good idea, or at least not until as long the court case is ongoing. I believe it's 99% certain YT will get indicted and convicted, and there he would face a 2 or 3 year ban from holding office and voting. So I don't think there's a need for a constitutional amendment, have some trust in the process of the courts. Secondly, i don't like the precedent of banning someone via the constitution. I mean if someone has a 2/3rd majority, they can ban anyone they don't like this way. And it has already been proposed by some on the right that are accused to ban Griffin and Windjammer. And while yes, it's unlikely they would ever get a majority, i just don't like the precedent of banning someone this way.

At the moment, there's an alternative way where YT faces a 3 yr ban already. And given the constitutional amendment doesn't even include a registration ban it seems kinda redundant or pointless.
I am well aware of the current criminal trial proceedings, and I do believe that justice will ultimately be delivered. However, any such sentence needs to be enhanced as even with a 3 year sentence (assuming that the maximum sentence is applied), YT could still be pardoned by a future president if a rogue actor assumes that office. This amendment would ensure that YT would remain banned from the game in any case. An affirmative vote by a Senate supermajority and the people of two out of the three regions has always had the power to change the rules of the game anyway which includes the possibility of banning specific players. It is simply upon a supermajority to actually agree on any such change to the game, which is a high threshold.

As I have said many times, this would be the only way to stop the pattern of abuse and trails of blood emanating from Young Texan. He will keep trying to undermine the very foundation and functioning of the game going forward just as he has during this past month. This is just the culmination of his years long pattern of his abusive approach to the game.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 06:56:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure this amendment's thread should be deleted by Yankee for attempting to tell him how to do his job as a moderator.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 07:03:01 AM »

Does this mean that YT could still be registered? Not that there would be any real benefit to it, but I think it's unclear.
Registration is already covered in the Atlasian Constitution as in the opinions here in the NC Yankee v Southern Region ruling which declares that "All persons born or naturalized in the Republic of Atlasia" are the registered voters of Atlasia. I would be open to more explicitly clarifying such language in the Constitution though. But it does seem clear that anyone listed as excluded from the rights of this Constitution would also be banned from being registered and would be deregistered upon ratification.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 07:04:56 AM »

I'm pretty sure this amendment's thread should be deleted by Yankee for attempting to tell him how to do his job as a moderator.
"Shall be permitted" is not telling the moderators how to their job. They are the only ones with access to verify sock accounts though, so they should be allowed to declare a certain account to be a sock of a banned player.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 11:06:59 AM »

Passing this would just be better for everyone involved, YT included.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »

I'll be respecting the prior senator's wishes and voting No here. I do have some concerns about overstepping the works of the court myself. However, if this gets to the people despite my opposition, I will support it at referendum.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 04:23:20 PM »

Tbf I think the Court and jury should decide YT's fate. Excluding one person specifically could be a hydra situation and is highly irregular since we didn't do this for OBD, Truman, or WD.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 08:51:00 PM »

A life sentence being imposed by a legislative body is simply too far. Amendment:

To truly preserve the stability, integrity, and democratic nature of the Republic by excluding the disruptive force to the very foundation of Atlasia itself

Section 1. Title

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the Republic of Atlasia, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, except those explicitly listed on Article I, Section 15, are citizens of the Republic of Atlasia and of the Region in which they reside, and shall in all cases be afforded equal protection under the law.

Section 15.

Although no Bill of attainder may be passed by either the Senate or the Regions, this Constitution reserves the exceptional right to exclude individuals from citizenship in the Republic of Atlasia, in order to preserve the stability, integrity, and democratic nature of the Republic.

The following individuals under their current or future username or verified sock accounts of the listed individuals, are hereby listed as excluded from such rights in perpetuity and shall not be permitted to hold any office, elected or appointed, or vote in any election, in any region or any other entity under jurisdiction of this Constitution:

-TexasConservative, also known as Young Texan, until January 1, 2028.

1. Actions taken by Administrators or Moderators of the Atlas Forum are separate and distinct from their actions as citizens of Atlasia and they shall not be restricted, nor obstructed by Atlasian constitutional or statutory provision, in their enforcement of the Terms of Service by Atlasian constitutional or statutory provision.
2. Nothing in this section shall be construed as to provide immunity to moderators who violate any
statutory provision that does not conflict with or obstruct enforcement of the terms of service.
3. Administrators and Moderators of the Atlas Forum shall be permitted to declare an account to be a sock account for the purpose of compliance with Article I, Section 15.

Amendment Explanation

The addition of Section 15 to Article I establishes a mechanism to ensure that individuals who threaten the very existence of this game we know and love as Atlasia can be banned through the highest legal means there is -- the amending process of the federal Constitution. The addition of the third clause to Article VIII, Section 2 allows the forum moderators and administrators to be able to enforce the banning of users through sock checks as a banned user may make a sock account to go around the game ban.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 07:33:32 AM »

The amendment is friendly.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 04:07:26 PM »

So amendment adopted, I assume?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 07:21:38 PM »

Sorry. Yes, the amendment is adopted.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 04:58:34 AM »

Amendment. This (with ratification votes being undertaken by the regions this month, if things move on this at a typical speed in the Senate) would secure a full two-year ban in line with OBD's and Truman's punishment.

Section 1. Title

Section 1.

Section 15.

-TexasConservative, also known as Young Texan, until Januaryuly 1, 20285.

Amendment Explanation

LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 06:07:10 AM »

I object to the amendment. Four years would be preferable since YT has engaged in far more dangerous actions for the Atlasia than Truman and OBD. I would accept an expiration on July 1, 2027 which would already be too lenient of a compromise. The maximum sentence for Treason in the current criminal code is 3 years as I assume the authors of it have never even fathomed a conspiracy being as persistent and dangerous as YT's, and there was a desire at the time to remove the pre-reset lifetime sentence.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2023, 01:41:32 PM »

This Senate is a joke for seriously considering this.

A competent PPT would consider this frivolous and would have never brought it to the floor.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 01:53:32 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2023, 04:10:12 PM by Upper South Senator LouisvilleThunder »

This Senate is a joke for seriously considering this.

A competent PPT would consider this frivolous and would have never brought it to the floor.
Gaslight, gatekeep, girlboss!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2023, 03:04:46 PM »

Section 1. Title

Section 1.

Section 15.

-TexasConservative, also known as Young Texan, until January 1, 2028.

Any names added to this list must be done so by a 7/9 vote of the entire Senate.

Amendment Explanation

Proposed amendment to make it harder to add names, this should be similar to RETCON in that it needs to be an extremely broad amount of support to do this.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2023, 03:32:38 PM »

I will sponsor the WB amendment
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2023, 05:20:11 PM »

Hearing an objection, a vote on the WM Amendment is now open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: Amendment

Section 1. Title

Section 1.

Section 15.

-TexasConservative, also known as Young Texan, until Januaryuly 1, 20285.

Amendment Explanation

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2023, 05:20:32 PM »

Nay
LouisvilleThunder