Largest Individual Christian Denominations in the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:49:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Largest Individual Christian Denominations in the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest Individual Christian Denominations in the United States  (Read 321 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2023, 04:36:06 PM »

These are the largest individual Christian (as defined by Pew Research, don't kill me!) denominations in the United States by the total number of adherents, according to the 2022 Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies (ASARB). Smiley  I included all denominations with at least 500,000 adherents, and I put the "usual" denomination classification in parentheses if it was not in the name, just so it was obvious.  Color code below:

Catholic
Protestant
Non-Trinitarian

Roman Catholic Church: 61.86 million
Southern Baptist Convention: 17.65 million
United Methodist Church: 8.02 million
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon): 6.72 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: 3.14 million
Assemblies of God (Pentecostal): 3.09 million
Jehovah's Witnesses: 3.02 million
National Missionary Baptist Convention: 2.43 million
Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod: 1.80 million
Episcopal Church: 1.58 million
National Baptist Convention: 1.57 million
Presbyterian Church (USA): 1.49 million
Churches of Christ (Restorationist): 1.42 million
Christian Churches and Churches of Christ (Restorationist): 1.38 million
Seventh-day Adventist Church: 1.34 million
American Baptist Churches in the USA (Northern Baptist): 1.26 million
African Methodist Episcopal Church: 1.06 million
United Church of Christ (Congregationalist): 925k
Church of God in Christ (Pentecostal): 920k
Church of the Nazarene (Holiness): 906k
Church of God - Cleveland, TN (Pentecostal): 868k

I know the UMC is about to split, but this list was compiled before then, and I still don't even know all of the details of that mess!  "Officially" non-denominational Protestants would be a combined 21.10 million, second only to the Catholics.

Also, it should be noted that many broader denominations are more split than others.  Adding the two largest Presbyterian denominations (Presbyterian Church in America, or PCA, and the PCUSA listed above) would give them 1.86 million in total and move that united church up a couple of spots to ninth place.  Conversely, groups like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are much more consolidated in the case of the former and simply counted as one group in the case of the latter, making their place on this list be a bit higher.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 05:58:08 PM »

There aren’t as many Presbyterians as I would have thought.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 08:27:28 PM »

I believe it enjoys more prominence than its actual size because (A) it’s Scottish ancestrally so pretty old stock (e.g., a lot of Presidents and schools like Princeton) and (B) on a related note, Presbyterians tend to be significantly wealthier than the population as a whole.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 10:37:46 AM »

I believe it enjoys more prominence than its actual size because (A) it’s Scottish ancestrally so pretty old stock (e.g., a lot of Presidents and schools like Princeton) and (B) on a related note, Presbyterians tend to be significantly wealthier than the population as a whole.

It's also worth considering that the PCUSA is for some reason declining at a rate not matched even by other mainline churches. It was over 3 million until 1986, but has more than halved since then. The numbers cited here are actually pretty generous, because according to their own official statistics they are now down to some 1.14 million members.

Incidentally, I am surprised the UPCI didn't make the list; they have over 5 million members worldwide, and surely a large proportion of those are in America. Looking at the spreadsheet though, it seems that adherent count was not tallied for them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:17:37 AM »

Presbyterians compete with Episcopalians as the wealthiest U.S. religious denomination.

At least where I grew up, people used the phrase "Presbyterian rich" to tongue-in-cheekily refer to someone of comfortable means and conservative disposition.  I'm not sure how widespread this usage is.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 01:36:33 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2023, 01:39:46 PM by Just Passion Through »

The UMC has already split and the Global Methodist Church has absorbed some of the conservative churches since its founding in May 2022. 1,700 congregations exist currently but we probably won't get an official membership count until after December, which I believe is the deadline for churches to exit.

The divorce has been pretty messy to put it delicately.

Presbyterians compete with Episcopalians as the wealthiest U.S. religious denomination.

At least where I grew up, people used the phrase "Presbyterian rich" to tongue-in-cheekily refer to someone of comfortable means and conservative disposition.  I'm not sure how widespread this usage is.

There aren't many Episcopalians in the Deep South, so I would suppose "Presbyterian rich" is the Deep South's equivalent of WASP. Tongue
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 03:19:20 PM »

I would not have expected so many Jehovah's Witnesses.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies